JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Probably just restating a few things, but I thought about it this way:

#1: Choose your disaster.
Natural, Economic, Governmental, Foreign, or X Product shortage (some bleed into others, but picking 1 in the line of 5 usually incorperate the 2 touching it too.)

Absolutely. Choose whether you want to prepare for a Mad Max End of the World scenario (very unlikely in my opinion), or, for something that resembles Argentina, Weimer Germany, etc. (much more likely in my opinion).

I think this is the absolute best book on preparing and living through what is likely to come. It is written by someone who has lived through it (practical advice based on first-hand experience).

Amazon.com: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (9789870563457): Fernando Ferfal Aguirre: Books

Yeah, at the moment i'm going with:
+++ Governmental, IE: gov does something reeeeally dumb, which can be a number of things, a couple under-educated civilians do something dumber, gov does dumber thing to counteract it, chaos ensues, hide in fortifications until things get better. (really generalized, but being too specific narrows your preparations.)
Preping for Governmental, like i said in my big post, can help cover:
++ an Economic meltdown (not a full coverage, but will at least soften the curve ball you just got hit with)
++ or a Foreign "problem", either it be direct war, Country X causing problems for the whole world, or, (very unlikely) homefront invasion.
and will help slightly with:
+ a natural disaster (you got food and supplies, just the bullets are for looters now.)
+ and product X shortage (if you happened to stock up on product X, you're golden, if not, you probably have enough stuff to trade for it.)

different disaster focus, different levels of coverage, but focusing on one will at least help if any of the other 4 happen.

I think the main thing new people getting into preparedness (me included) are worried about, is TIME. No, there is no magic due date for when that pile of poo's gonna hit the turbo-prop and ruin our saturday morning. so, be patient. don't overexert yourself.

And don't be worried about being called Weird, or Crazy, or Screwed Up. As Christopher Titus says: "Screwed up people are great, we've been through some stuff in our lives. So when we see the %^#* about to hit the fan... we step to the side of the fan." That's all what we want to do. when the time comes, we want to step to the side of the fan, clean off the little bit of spray, and continue on.

And don't be worried about being called Weird, or Crazy, or Screwed Up. As Christopher Titus says: "Screwed up people are great, we've been through some stuff in our lives. So when we see the %^#* about to hit the fan... we step to the side of the fan." That's all what we want to do. when the time comes, we want to step to the side of the fan, clean off the little bit of spray, and continue on.
Well put....

I might add...Ten subjects to read up on while considering your own level of screwed-upedness..

1. organic gardening and seed saving

2. food processing and preservation

3. hunting, fishing, and gathering

4. animal husbandry

5. construction

6. alternative energy and fuels

7. water purification

8. basic first aid and natural medicine

9. mechanics

10. soap and candle making

You will need more than a theoretical understanding of the above topics..

W44

Well put....

I might add...Ten subjects to read up on while considering your own level of screwed-upedness..

1. organic gardening and seed saving

2. food processing and preservation

3. hunting, fishing, and gathering

4. animal husbandry

5. construction

6. alternative energy and fuels

7. water purification

8. basic first aid and natural medicine

9. mechanics

10. soap and candle making

You will need more than a theoretical understanding of the above topics..

W44

I'm screwed... :eek:

-d

The other thing I am having a hard time with is how to convince my wife on how serious the situation is. I think so many people don't seem to get it, maybe they just don't believe it will happen or know what to do? I see and hear so many people just going on and on about this gift or that gift for christmas, what large screen they are going to buy...yadda, yadda. Then when you talk about whats coming its almost like they (including my wife are in a quiet shock or denial. Anyone else see the same thing? she is coming around, in fact I told her for Christmas I just want guns, ammo, and her help getting the food room cleaned up and ready, we will see if I haave been on the nice list I guess.

Have your wife read some of the stuff you're reading...helped with my wife. In fact, great story: I had her read Octavia Butler's "parable of the seed" and she remarked "I'm kinda glad you got all those guns now!".

The other idea is to start off with "we should have a few weeks of food and water on hand in case of an earthquake". If the Cascadia subduction zone hits, we'll be on our own for several weeks easy. Then, once you get some food storage and other preps going...it's not too hard to expand out to 1 month, 3 months, etc. Katrina is a good reminder that stuff can get loose real quick...so that might be the best way to convince her about a handgun/shotgun. But, if you have kids, make sure you store it properly and/or gunproof your kids if they're old enough.

The last advice: do what you gotta do to protect your family. Plus, if you explain everything that way, she'll tolerate it at least and/or respect you more!

Good luck.

The other idea is to start off with "we should have a few weeks of food and water on hand in case of an earthquake". If the Cascadia subduction zone hits, we'll be on our own for several weeks easy. Then, once you get some food storage and other preps going...it's not too hard to expand out to 1 month, 3 months, etc. Katrina is a good reminder that stuff can get loose real quick...so that might be the best way to convince her about a handgun/shotgun. But, if you have kids, make sure you store it properly and/or gunproof your kids if they're old enough.

The last advice: do what you gotta do to protect your family. Plus, if you explain everything that way, she'll tolerate it at least and/or respect you more!

Good luck.

That's the route I went with this past spring and she's even started asking more questions and getting involved a bit here and there. Makes me happy.

-d

Barefoot,

My suggestion is to first determine what you may reasonably face as something to prep against.

For example, it is highly likely that you may have a power failure due to a weather event. If the power fails will you continue to have water, sewage, and heat? Do you have gas and can you cook your frozen food before it spoils? Live in a low spot and the power fails to the sewage pump stations? No toilets for you.

How many "boil orders" have you heard about when a water system gets contaminated due to some failure? They happen all the time. Have water to drink at a minimum.

Additionally, you may face loss of a job or reduction in pay due to a spouse losing a job.

Nuclear device detonated in your city? Don't worry, it will only hurt for a millisecond if you're lucky. Zombie bikers? Unless you've got Chuck Norris on your side you and yours are toast.

Now start with basics like stockpiling 2 liter water bottles with a few drops of bleach and stored somewhere dark. Start adding to your food stores by buying a couple extra non-perishable items of what your family already eats. Rotate stock periodically. Have a mix of food that doesn't need cooked as well as cooked. Have a means of cooking/heating said food. Small camp stove can accomplish that.

Pay off debt and start building cash reserves. The biggest threat we all face, especially in this market, is loss of a job. If you've got some cash and some food, that will allow you a little leeway and comfort while you look for new work.

How will you keep your family warm? Blankets, sleeping bags? Tent in the living room and confine your body heat? Figure that out soon.

Get a simple defensive system like others have spoken about. I like shotguns and 10/22s because they're versatile. Enough said.

Start reading and learning. Many resources out there like The Survival Podcast, American Preppers Network, Survival Blog, etc. Free to read and learn.

You've already started and have done more than most in our beloved country have done.

You've already started and have done more than most in our beloved country have done.

Indeed.
It's kind of cold, but when I lived in florida and there were people (not just poor, but had the money to properly prepare) freaking out over power outages, bum-rushing stores for supplies, and generally angry the government relief teams weren't there yet... I was in our home, with candles, a Gameboy, and a warm soda, mom was making sandwiches, grandma was taking a nap, and my brother was throwing debris into a pile. My family was just fine, through the 80's, 90's, even horrible Andrew. Honestly I didn't feel bad. Warnings were always there, as well as common sense (hello... you live in florida, hurricanes happen EVERY year...)
I can't be nice about it, unless you don't watch the news and are completely blind to the world around you (which, sadly, alot of people are) you have no reason to NOT have at least BASIC items for survival. candles, a med kit, some standard garage tools, a little extra food and water around the house...
To ask the question: "what should I do to prepare?" puts you above alot of people in this country. it's truly saddening, but if and when something, anything happens, there will be alot of people hurting, and it may be cold, but you can't let them blame anyone but themselves.

...*ahem* sorry, late-night rant. i'm realizing i should've started years ago, but i also realize i'm far ahead of alot of people too, as is Barefoot now, by asking "The Question."

Time to get started.

Absolutely. Choose whether you want to prepare for a Mad Max End of the World scenario (very unlikely in my opinion), or, for something that resembles Argentina, Weimer Germany, etc. (much more likely in my opinion).

I think this is the absolute best book on preparing and living through what is likely to come. It is written by someone who has lived through it (practical advice based on first-hand experience).

Amazon.com: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (9789870563457): Fernando Ferfal Aguirre: Books

That book is worth it's weight in gold. I would much rather take advice from someone who lived it.

At minimum spend some time perusing his blog:
SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top