JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if you have to leave town plan a rout through industrial area minor roads. NO INTERSTATES/ FREEWAYS stay away from downtown areas.

if you need cheep weapon you can get a Mosin Nagant for $69 and 340 rds for $100.
but it's long, not good in tight spaces. but at least it's some thing till you can get some thing smaller

Hello to each of you patriots.

As you can see I am a newb here, I am asking for some help not only for myself but other newbs as well. I will get straight to the point... I am late to the game. I am not prepared. I am feeling more and more overwhelmed. I did just find this site not long ago and have to admit I am learning a ton reading it when I can, but I am not sure where to start... guns? food? precious metals? I only have so much money a month (it is getting to be less and less under this admin.).

My simple question is this... where do I start? I want to put $50.00 to $100.00 every two weeks towards preparing. Can you help me with a list of what you feel is most important, what should the priorities be? what kind of protection do you feel would be best? what about food? what can I do in a short period of time to prepare?

sorry about the long post, I really appreciate the advice and I know from reading on here that there are some very prepared folks, that is why I ask, I want to learn and protect my family.

Thank you in advance!

Main thing is to make a plan. Not everyone's plan, here will work for you. You need to do some threat assessments as to what your priorities should be and what is likely going to happen to you when something bad happens (SHTF).

For example, a guy that lives out in a rural farm may not need to "bug out" to another location because his is ideal to farm and defend....whereas a city dweller might need to start reading on some wilderness survival books and prep a vehicle to go 4-bying and get as far away from the city as possible. Or vise versa. It depends on what the threat is where you live. DO you live around a lot of people? Are they all preppers? Do you live in a condo? You mentioned your family, but is there anyone in your household that is diabetic? Allergic to anything? Any medical conditions? Speaking of medical, do you all have your shots updated? What about a tet**** booster?

As you can see, there is a lot to worry about. Enough to make your head explode. So what are you to do? Well, the easy thing is to go out and pick up a book or two on survival...maybe even read and print out <broken link removed> (Survival).

Whatever you do, do NOT get discouraged...get a plan as to how you want to proceed and then buy supplies from there and revamp your plan as to your budget.

This forum has many resources already committed to this topic. There are also other sites committed to survival and prepping (i.e. SurvivalBlog.com).

I scan through the hundreds of thousands of articles on SurvivalBlog, print them, read them, highlight what I think is good info and then research from there and buy the gear and revamp my plan.

It's a constant cycle and I am only about as 1/10th as prepared as I want to be.

<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
Where I buy most of my Ammo

That should get you started...have fun!

There are some great ideas on the thread, so I will just say how I started.
The first thing is to decide when to stay and when to go and prepare for both.
1. When to get out "where are you going?" You will most likely not survive if you plan on "living off the land" up in the hills.
&#8226; You need enough supplies to get you to your destination "on foot". Plan not to have a motorized vehicle. Roads will be blocked, congested and or ambush areas. It's easier to walk across a creek, then to drive 100 miles around it. Include: food, water, medical, shelter, defense. You really need to break these components down and get creative. It's more than peanuts, bottled water, Band-Aids, tent, and a knife.

2. When to stay. Do you live downtown or the suburbs?
&#8226; Downtown in a sky scrapper landscape might be tough to survive in or it might be the best. People don't go looking for food in an office building. This could be a good hold up spot for shelter.
&#8226; Inter city IMHO is probably the worst place to be. Just close enough to downtown, with a high population density living very close to each other and with very limited ground resources. Apartments and concrete make this a tough long term situation.
&#8226; On the other hand suburbs might give you the best of both worlds. Most suburban houses have sizable fenced yards for growing food or raising some kind of livestock. People tend to know their neighbors; this is a big plus, because you will not survive any situation without friends. Defensively suburban neighborhoods are easier to protect, because of the street designs.

You should prepare for both situations, so you have options.

You have to get really creative with your preps if you are money challenged like most of us are.
Some things you should put together:
&#8226; Get a gun. Your choice, but make sure the ammo is readily available and cost effective.
&#8226; Field med kit: bandages, Band-Aids, moleskin, meds (aspirin, ibuprofen), qickclot, and other things I can't remember.
&#8226; Trauma kit: sutures, feminine pads (super absorbent), Antibiotics (non-subscription fish meds), splints, crutches, braces, and some detailed medical books.
&#8226; Try making your own MRE's if you think you need them (most cost effective way)
&#8226; Stock the food that you eat. Buy food that can create multiple different meals. Rice and beans will get old real fast.
&#8226; Water collection system. Sounds hard, but not. Craig's List has many "blue" food grade 55gal barrels for $25. Fill it up, treat it with bleach, rotate and you are good to go for 6 months. Get a second barrel and put it under you gutter spout and collect run off. We should not have a shortage of water living in this part of the country. There are lots of filter designs to choose from.
&#8226; Don't get stuck on gold and silver. It's worthless when you can't eat it. The barter system will be your best friend. Ammo, Food, tools, stuff that has a tangible use is "gold" in a SHTF situation.
&#8226; Get something to cook your food on. Propane, wood, hibachi, 55gal barrel, start thinking out of the box about this one.
&#8226; Start thinking about how to fortify your residents. The worst think is that someone will try to burn your place down, but it's unlikely, because they want what you have.
&#8226; Start looking for things at the goodwill, Salvation Army. Big pots, pans, extra can opener. Look at what you have and come up with an alternate use.

I have so many other things that I am forgetting. I've been putting this together for a few years now and it's an every evolving endeavor. I think the most important thing is to have like minded friends. A SHTF situation will be so much easier if you have friends that are also prepared.

Probably just restating a few things, but I thought about it this way:

#1: Choose your disaster.
Natural, Economic, Governmental, Foreign, or X Product shortage (some bleed into others, but picking 1 in the line of 5 usually incorperate the 2 touching it too.)

#2: Choose your stronghold.
Be it a friend's soon-to-be compound, property outside of town, or a decently defendable urban area.

#3: Choose your calibers.
having guns is good, but having too many calibers can hurt you in the end. .22 is a staple. Go with any 1-2 handgun calibers 9mm or above, and 12 or 20 gauge. Rifles get opinionated, but basically, one 'battle' caliber and one 'hunting' caliber. You don't really wanna think about having to use those battle rounds, but, we're human, we get kinda silly when bad things happen.

#4: Storage.
Food safe buckets, with lids. another staple.
Rice, pancake mix, pet food (some forget this), even water, As well as clean (either new or well-washed) clothing, warm and summer clothes. all this can fit in those buckets. add a roll of industrial-grade duct tape and a closet you don't use, you got some stuff tucked away.
Canned goods and batteries.
Your "rotational" items. use them as normal, but replenishing as quickly as you use them. Unless you love the stuff, don't get 20 cans of black beans and asparagus, get what you, your spouse, your picky children, and your finicky pets will eat.
Don't forget to update your batteries too. They do have a shelf life. Rechargables are expensive and die just like one-uses, if not faster.
Car batteries are always nice but be careful with storage. Put them in a bucket (if they fit) with silica packets and a little kitty litter.

#5: The other basics. (1 week-1 month).
A couple cans of gas/diesel, med kits, some basic entertainment, candles, radio/CB's, music/mp3 player w/ a non-AC charger (trust me it'll help), toiletries/feminine needs, coming from a guy who grew up in florida, "Hurricane materials."

#6: The 'medium' luxuries. (1-3-6 months)
Some kind of low-power renewable energy, solar, wind, waterwheel. Plastic/metal storage drums for large-quantity food/gas/water. run a freezer off the renewable energy for meat, frozen bread (oh, learn to make bread), etc. Propane tanks, lamp fuel, sandbags, medications, minor injury kits, a small veggie garden etc.

#7: The 'high' luxuries. (6 months-self sustaining)
High-power renewables, a large fuel tank or 2, bigger garden, some fruit trees ready to produce, herbs and 'home remedy' type medicines, copper silver and gold, learn some hunting, skinning, meat prepping skills, reloading equipment and a stock of materials, heating/cooking stoves, body armor's a plus.

These are all general items, pick what you need for your preparedness, but, start at the top, not #7.
Ammo: everyone has thier own rule and opinion. but at the very least:
As much .22 as you have regular bullets, if not double/triple/4x.
(OR: pick any mil-spec ammo box bigger then a 50 cal, and fill it.)
Food, water, clothing. Priority One.
A Get-Home-Bag. (100 people have listed this, look up "bug out bag" or "get home bag")

WOW... great posts to all! I was kind of hoping to see some lists, schedule, plans that are drawn out, as examples of what you guys may be doing, where you are getting stuff, etc. and a few have provided that... thank you. I started writing up a "dry foods list", "canned goods", "freezer foods", "drinks" so I have some idea of what I not only have but what I need to get. like I said it is so tough to be able to get a handle on all this when there isn't much $$$$$.

The other thing I am having a hard time with is how to convince my wife on how serious the situation is. I think so many people don't seem to get it, maybe they just don't believe it will happen or know what to do? I see and hear so many people just going on and on about this gift or that gift for christmas, what large screen they are going to buy...yadda, yadda. Then when you talk about whats coming its almost like they (including my wife are in a quiet shock or denial. Anyone else see the same thing? she is coming around, in fact I told her for Christmas I just want guns, ammo, and her help getting the food room cleaned up and ready, we will see if I haave been on the nice list I guess.

Probably just restating a few things, but I thought about it this way:

#1: Choose your disaster.
Natural, Economic, Governmental, Foreign, or X Product shortage (some bleed into others, but picking 1 in the line of 5 usually incorperate the 2 touching it too.)

#2: Choose your stronghold.
Be it a friend's soon-to-be compound, property outside of town, or a decently defendable urban area.

#3: Choose your calibers.
having guns is good, but having too many calibers can hurt you in the end. .22 is a staple. Go with any 1-2 handgun calibers 9mm or above, and 12 or 20 gauge. Rifles get opinionated, but basically, one 'battle' caliber and one 'hunting' caliber. You don't really wanna think about having to use those battle rounds, but, we're human, we get kinda silly when bad things happen.

#4: Storage.
Food safe buckets, with lids. another staple.
Rice, pancake mix, pet food (some forget this), even water, As well as clean (either new or well-washed) clothing, warm and summer clothes. all this can fit in those buckets. add a roll of industrial-grade duct tape and a closet you don't use, you got some stuff tucked away.
Canned goods and batteries.
Your "rotational" items. use them as normal, but replenishing as quickly as you use them. Unless you love the stuff, don't get 20 cans of black beans and asparagus, get what you, your spouse, your picky children, and your finicky pets will eat.
Don't forget to update your batteries too. They do have a shelf life. Rechargables are expensive and die just like one-uses, if not faster.
Car batteries are always nice but be careful with storage. Put them in a bucket (if they fit) with silica packets and a little kitty litter.

#5: The other basics. (1 week-1 month).
A couple cans of gas/diesel, med kits, some basic entertainment, candles, radio/CB's, music/mp3 player w/ a non-AC charger (trust me it'll help), toiletries/feminine needs, coming from a guy who grew up in florida, "Hurricane materials."

#6: The 'medium' luxuries. (1-3-6 months)
Some kind of low-power renewable energy, solar, wind, waterwheel. Plastic/metal storage drums for large-quantity food/gas/water. run a freezer off the renewable energy for meat, frozen bread (oh, learn to make bread), etc. Propane tanks, lamp fuel, sandbags, medications, minor injury kits, a small veggie garden etc.

#7: The 'high' luxuries. (6 months-self sustaining)
High-power renewables, a large fuel tank or 2, bigger garden, some fruit trees ready to produce, herbs and 'home remedy' type medicines, copper silver and gold, learn some hunting, skinning, meat prepping skills, reloading equipment and a stock of materials, heating/cooking stoves, body armor's a plus.

These are all general items, pick what you need for your preparedness, but, start at the top, not #7.
Ammo: everyone has thier own rule and opinion. but at the very least:
As much .22 as you have regular bullets, if not double/triple/4x.
(OR: pick any mil-spec ammo box bigger then a 50 cal, and fill it.)
Food, water, clothing. Priority One.
A Get-Home-Bag. (100 people have listed this, look up "bug out bag" or "get home bag")

this is awesome, very practical... good stuff.

WOW... great posts to all! I was kind of hoping to see some lists, schedule, plans that are drawn out, as examples of what you guys may be doing, where you are getting stuff, etc. and a few have provided that... thank you. I started writing up a "dry foods list", "canned goods", "freezer foods", "drinks" so I have some idea of what I not only have but what I need to get. like I said it is so tough to be able to get a handle on all this when there isn't much $$$$$.

The other thing I am having a hard time with is how to convince my wife on how serious the situation is. I think so many people don't seem to get it, maybe they just don't believe it will happen or know what to do? I see and hear so many people just going on and on about this gift or that gift for christmas, what large screen they are going to buy...yadda, yadda. Then when you talk about whats coming its almost like they (including my wife are in a quiet shock or denial. Anyone else see the same thing? she is coming around, in fact I told her for Christmas I just want guns, ammo, and her help getting the food room cleaned up and ready, we will see if I haave been on the nice list I guess.

The way to convince her is not to go over board with TEOTWAWKI or total SHTF kind of situations. Start small and ease her into it. The way to prep right is live you life but add things to make it better/safer. If you tell someone that you are no longer getting TV and buying 500lbs of flower of course they are going to freak out.

Start by adding things slowly. When you go to the store and see corn on sale suggest getting a case vs a can (assuming you eat that). As it has been said dont change your eating habits too much just add a little more each time you go the store and rotate it. Instead of waiting to be out of something like toilet paper before you buy more see that you only have a half a pack and get another. These kind of things can easily be done without a lifestyle change.

I live 20 miles from the nearest store. I work out of town so I am only home 4 days a week and I live alone. Sometimes my GF teases me about how much stuff I buy but I have not gone to the store in a month and I am still eating good. I need to stock up again cause I am getting a bit low, but I hate going to the store.

Look for specials on clothes and or gear that you may need. I just bought some flannel lined pants for the cool weather. I had not seen them before. They were normally $70 which I would not pay. They were on sale for $30 on close out so I ended up buying 4 pair and they will most likely survive me for several years. There are online deals all the time on clothes and equipment. The items may not be 100&#37; what you want but if they will work for your use and are way cheeper it might be worth it.

Make sure any gear you buy you test out and KNOW how to use it before you need it.

Also to help with the problem of the wife is dont go buy a bunch of stuff you cant use for anything but "survival". Get stuff that has common practical uses and that will help.
You said you want some lists so I will make 2 more posts with some lists.

The other thing I am having a hard time with is how to convince my wife on how serious the situation is. I think so many people don't seem to get it, maybe they just don't believe it will happen or know what to do?.

It's a bit of all the "don't know"s. It took a while for my girlfriend to understand it. I might of had a head start with having to deal with hurricanes half my life. Disaster is on your mind. Now it's the metaphorical weather report we're watching, and the storm's coming, just a matter of when. Only we (hopefully) have months or years. but the preparedness system is the same. replace a tub full of water with a closet full of ammo.
She just really wanted to keep her head in the sand, but began to understand that, times like these, getting caught with your pants down could mean death.
"Okay, If i'm going to do this survival thing, you better stock alot of eye shadow and mascara for me." She was kidding (sorta) but it was the "if we're gonna do it, keep the bills paid and get me in on it... and tell me the day of, no countdowns" moment. now she has her own handgun and rifle, is learning to shoot, and is slowly accepting it.
Others want to just see the end coming and complain. Others don't want to see it at all, and will go "lalalalala" until you stop talking.

I figured it out a while back:
90&#37; of the world is the "lalalala"
5% are complainers (and usually problem-makers/make-things-worse)
4% are us, wanting to be ready.
.9% are the other us, who are ready and among those a few will probably rise up and get things back on track once the disaster's over.
and .1% are the other other us, who make us look bad and will be the future warlords and 'follow me or die' types.

Here is a list of stuff we came up with on a board a few year ago. I just compiled it into a "master" list.

Here is the updated Master List:

Guns:
-A sidearm
-A high-powered rifle
-A .22 for small game
-A 12-gauge shotgun
-Slings and holsters for all guns
-Gun cleaning supplies
-Night sights

Ammo:
-At least 1000 rounds of each caliber you use
-Subsonic .22 for "quiet" hunting
-Reloading supplies
-Lead casting equipment

Water:
-Portable water purifier + filters
-Canteen/bottle
-Several cases of water (64oz. minimum, per person, per day)
-Several 10-gallon water jugs
-Water purification tablets (avoid iodine tablets if you have thyroid issues)

Food:
-Non-perishable foods
-Avoid foods requiring hydration, they use too much water
-Salt for preserving food
-Canned chili beans with beef
-Twinkies
-SPAM
-Tootsie Rolls
-Canned soups
-Noodles that only require water
-Canned tuna
-Canned chicken
-Assorted canned veggies
-Vacuum-sealed bread
-Vacuum-sealed assorted meats
-Enough food for 2 people for over a month
-Beef Jerky
-Protein bars
-MREs (Meals Ready to Eat)
-Gum
-Tic-Tacs/Mints
-Raisins/Dried Fruit
-Trail mix
-Seeds for planting crops
-Broth powder/cubes

Clothing:
-Versatile clothing
-Ponchos
-Socks
-Goretex clothing shells- jacket, pants, hood/hat & boots
-Military BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms)
-Civilian clothes (for moving through populated areas unnoticed)
-Clothing that has names and DL#'s on them
-Waders
-Thermal blankets
-Underwear

First Aid/Hygiene:
-First aid kit, including common meds
-Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash
-Toilet paper
-Cleaning and sterilizing supplies
-Bleach
-Razors/shaving gel
-Deodorant
-Soap
-Sanitary setup if the toilets don't work
-Painkillers
-Dr Bronner's liquid peppermint soap for bathing, toothpaste, shampoo, dishs, laundry, etc.
-Tampons

Fuel/Heat/Power/Light:
-Flashlight (crank or shake power)
-Some type of fire starter
-Canister of dryer lint or Vaseline cotton balls
-Batteries (lots of them, preferably rechargeable)
-Extra fuel for vehicles (20+ gallons)
-Power inverter
-Generator
-Lots of propane
-Butane lighters (who needs matches?) with fireplace starter log
-Propane stove
-Propane grill
-Propane lantern
-Solar power setup
-Light sticks
-Hand warmers
-Candles
-Matches (waterproof)

Communications/Signaling/Timekeeping/Navigation:
-Whistle
-Two way radios
-AM/FM/SW/NOAA radio (crank or solar power is good)
-Cell phone
-Land-line phone in your house (not rechargeable cordless phone)
-Police scanner
-Pocket TV
-Blaze orange flags for emergency signal
-Flares
-Setup for gaining dial tone on main line away from house for emergency
-Emergency strobes
-Horns for audible attention
-Compass
-GPS
-Maps/atlas
-Watch
-Calendar
-Satellite TV/Internet

Hardware:
-Knife (sturdy and sharp)
-Chainsaw
-Plenty of tow straps and 20+ft chains
-Rope
-Duct tape
-Clear tape
-Storage containers that float and can be secured in case of flooding
-Shovel
-Motor oil
-Antifreeze
-Tire snow chains
-Trash bags and empty baggies
-Machete
-Hacksaw blades (with taped ends)
-Jumper cables
-Tools
-Tarpaulins

Other:
-Fishing pole, tackle, line
-Portable shelter/Tent
-Flat bottom boat with 25hp motor
-Binoculars
-Night vision goggles
-Infra red heat sensor
-Containers pre-packed with clothing, food, water and essentials for a quick get-away
-Bug-out kit (essentials only)/Bug-out Boy/Bug-out Caravan
-Cash/gold (to buy/trade/barter/bribe)
-Friends (that you can trust)
-Books (survival, medicine, edible plants/bugs, etc.)
-Training (first aid, survival, etc.)

Here is a how to build up food list I found online. It is NOT MINE, I did not write it, it is old and prices have changed. It is still a spot to start from.

Originally posted on 11/02/05 03:35 PM

Here are the first 26 weeks of the plan, all at once. I originally created this list for Y2K. You know that prices have gone up, so you would have to make adjustments accordingly.

WEEK ONE
5 lbs sugar $2.00
3 lbs. Crisco $3.00
5 lbs. flour $2.00
5 lbs. rice $2.00
6 cans tuna $2.00
5 lbs. beans $3.00
3 cans spaghetti sauce $3.00
5 lbs spaghetti $3.00

WEEK TWO
1 box oatmeal $3.00
5 lbs lentils $2.00
3 boxes saltines $3.00
1 case ramen noodles $2.50
1 can baking powder $1.50
1 can coffee $4.00
5 cans condensed milk $4.00

WEEK THREE
10 lbs. complete pancake mix $5.00
1 gallon pancake syrup $5.00
12 cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup $6.00
2 canned hams $4.00

WEEK FOUR
beef bullion cubes $4.00
Chicken bullion cubes $4.00
Granulated garlic $4.00
Black pepper $4.00
8# brown sugar $4.00

WEEK FIVE
1 #10 can instant potatoes $3.00
6 boxes Little Debbie snacks $6.00
20 lbs chicken @ .49 lb. to home can
2 boxes salt $1.20

WEEK SIX
10# 15% fat (or less) hamburger to can $20.00

WEEK SEVEN
20 cans Progresso or other ‘no water added’ soup $19.80

WEEK EIGHT
two cans coffee $8.00
1 container poultry gravy mix $4.00
1 container brown gravy mix $4.00
2 canned hams $4.00

WEEK NINE
1 box powdered milk $16.00
1 box tea bags $4.00

WEEK TEN
10 boxes breakfast cereal $20.00

WEEK ELEVEN
25 lbs. Sugar $9.00
25 lbs. Flour $5.00
25 lbs. Beans $6.00

WEEK TWELVE
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $10.00
10 lbs. Chicken quarters for canning $9.90

WEEK THIRTEEN
12 cans spinach $6.00
12 cans peas $6.00
12 cans green beans $6.00
2 cans spaghetti sauce $2.00

WEEK FOURTEEN
1 grow light
assorted seeds

WEEK FIFTEEN
12 cans mixed vegetables $9.00
4 canned hams $8.00

WEEK SIXTEEN
1 carton dehydrated hash browns $5.00
12 cans diced tomatoes $6.00
12 cans whole kernel corn $6.00
6 rolls 25 sf. aluminum foil $3.00

WEEK SEVENTEEN
1 #10 can sliced peaches $3.00
1 #10 can sliced apples $3.00
1 #10 can fruit cocktail $3.00
1 #10 can applesauce $3.00
12 cans mushrooms pieces $6.00
2 cans pink salmon $2.00

WEEK EIGHTEEN
16 rolls paper towels $11.00
9 boxes tissue $9.00

WEEK NINETEEN
25 lbs. sugar $9.00
25 lbs. beans $6.00
Large box of Bisquick $5.00

WEEK TWENTY
1 #10 can of cocoa powder $5.00
10 cans refried beans $8.00
10 cans of tuna $5.00
2 - 100 ct packs of paper plates $2.00

WEEK TWENTY-ONE
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $11.00
6 cans spaghetti sauce $6.00
6 lbs of spaghetti $3.00

WEEK TWENTY-TWO
assorted sauces & condiments, 1 of each;
hot sauce
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
teriyaki sauce
liquid smoke
gravy master
ketchup
mustard
mayo

WEEK TWENTY-THREE
assorted condiments, continued;
pickle relish
olives
pickles
salad dressings

WEEK TWENTY-FOUR
4 cans pink salmon $4.00
3 lbs Crisco shortening $3.00
5 lbs rice $2.00
12 boxes of asst cake mix $9.60

WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
2 lb pk pecan halves $6.00
2 lb pk walnut halves $6.00
12 cans pork & beans $6.00

WEEK TWENTY-SIX
10 lb bag of chocolate chips $9.00
2 cases ramen noodles $5.00
30 packs of kool-aid $3.00
6 lbs of pasta $3.00
5 lbs. flour $2.00
5 lbs. rice $2.00
6 cans tuna $2.00
5 lbs. pinto or kidney beans for
chili to home can $3.00
3 cans spaghetti sauce $3.00
5 lbs spaghetti $3.00

WEEK TWENTY-EIGHT
1 box oatmeal $3.00
1 bottle canola oil $2.00
3 boxes saltines $3.00
1 lg. pkg. egg noodles $2.50
1 can baking powder $1.50
1 can coffee $4.00
5 cans evaporated milk $4.00

WEEK TWENTY-NINE
1 gal. vinegar $3.00
5# split peas $3.00
1 can Nestle’s Quick $3.00
20 lbs chicken @ .49 lb. to home can
2 boxes salt $1.00

WEEK THIRTY
10# 15% fat (or less) hamburger to make chili to home can $20.00

WEEK THIRTY-ONE
16 cans Progresso or other ‘no water added’ soup $16.00
2 boxes salt $1.00
1 can Nestle’s Quick $3.00

WEEK THIRTY-TWO
2 cans coffee $8.00
1 bottle olive oil $6.00
1 box 48 apple cider drink mix $6.00

WEEK THIRTY-THREE
1 box tea bags $4.00

WEEK THIRTY-FOUR
25 lbs. Sugar $9.00
25 lbs. Flour $5.00
25 lbs. Beans $6.00

WEEK THIRTY-FIVE
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $10.00
10 lbs. Chicken quarters for canning $9.90

WEEK THIRTY-SIX
5 # stew beef to can $15.00
10 cans tuna $5.00

WEEK THIRTY-SEVEN
25 # rice $10.00
2 canned hams $4.00
6 cans salmon $6.00

WEEK THIRTY-EIGHT
12 cans spinach $6.00
12 cans peas $6.00
12 cans green beans $6.00
2 cans spaghetti sauce $2.00

WEEK THIRTY-NINE
12 cans mixed vegetables $9.00
4 canned hams $8.00

WEEK FORTY
1 bone-in ham to can $8.00
12 cans diced tomatoes $6.00
12 cans whole kernel corn $6.00

WEEK FORTY-ONE
1 3 pk cornstarch $4.00

WEEK FORTY-TWO
1 #10 can sliced peaches $3.00
1 #10 can sliced apples $3.00
1 #10 can fruit cocktail $3.00
1 #10 can applesauce $3.00
12 cans mushrooms pieces $6.00
2 cans pink salmon $2.00

WEEK FORTY-THREE
25 lbs. sugar $9.00
25 lbs. beans $6.00
large box of Bisquick $5.00

WEEK FORTY-FOUR
16 rolls paper towels $11.00
4 boxes asst. hot cereal $9.00

WEEK FORTY-FIVE
1 #10 can of cocoa powder $5.00
10 cans refried beans $8.00
10 cans of tuna $5.00
4 # brown sugar $2.00

WEEK FORTY-SIX
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $11.00
6 cans spaghetti sauce $6.00
6 lbs of spaghetti $3.00

WEEK FORTY-SEVEN
1 large jar peanut butter $4.00
1 can Tang instant drink mix $4.00
6 boxes cake mix $6.00
2 jars jelly or jam $6.00

WEEK FORTY-EIGHT
8 boxes breakfast cereal $16.00
1 can or jar honey $4.00

WEEK FORTY-NINE
20 cans tuna $10.00
16 rolls paper towels $10.00

WEEK FIFTY
1 large jar peanut butter $4.00
2 jars jelly or jam $6.00
5- 100 ct. paper plates $5.00
10 # powdered sugar $5.00

WEEK FIFTY-ONE
6 cans spam or luncheon loaf $9.00
10 # box baking soda $3.00
large pkg. or jar yeast $8.00

WEEK FIFTY-TWO
baking powder $1.50
2 jars or cans honey $8.50
12 cans evaporated milk $9

It's a bit of all the "don't know"s. It took a while for my girlfriend to understand it. I might of had a head start with having to deal with hurricanes half my life. Disaster is on your mind. Now it's the metaphorical weather report we're watching, and the storm's coming, just a matter of when. Only we (hopefully) have months or years. but the preparedness system is the same. replace a tub full of water with a closet full of ammo.
She just really wanted to keep her head in the sand, but began to understand that, times like these, getting caught with your pants down could mean death.
"Okay, If i'm going to do this survival thing, you better stock alot of eye shadow and mascara for me." She was kidding (sorta) but it was the "if we're gonna do it, keep the bills paid and get me in on it... and tell me the day of, no countdowns" moment. now she has her own handgun and rifle, is learning to shoot, and is slowly accepting it.
Others want to just see the end coming and complain. Others don't want to see it at all, and will go "lalalalala" until you stop talking.

I figured it out a while back:
90% of the world is the "lalalala"
5% are complainers (and usually problem-makers/make-things-worse)
4% are us, wanting to be ready.
.9% are the other us, who are ready and among those a few will probably rise up and get things back on track once the disaster's over.
and .1% are the other other us, who make us look bad and will be the future warlords and 'follow me or die' types.

I agree 100%. I try to ease into this the best I can, however last night I kind of got mad and let my irritation show a bit. I try not to tell the kids anything for obvious reasons, but I am interested in getting my oldest into a first aid class (along with both the wife and I) and maybe a firearm class for beginners if there is such a thing. I really would like her to learn to simply and safely shoot a shotgun. I think the other kids are too young. I think this will only help us as a family.

I have only elderly neighbors which worries me a bit too, very nice but don't think they will be able to defend themselves much, makes me wonder if my street will become one of the more target rich areas for looters. Can't be a worry wart, one thing at a time.

Seriously, our prepping has saved us when times were tight several times. When we had our 2nd kid, we were counting on getting some short term disability money like we did with our first kid. Well, HR screwed us over (the wife's job) and we were left high and dry. We had some cash to pay the basic bills, but not much else. We wound up not even going to the store to buy food for almost 2months. She had stockpiled diapers and formula and all the little things we would need when we had extra $$ and when stuff was on sale. We didn't tell any of our family members that we were hurting and they wouldn't have known it. We ate well, and yeah we had to pay a few bills late but it all worked out. Needless to say it may not be some huge disaster that effects everyone, it could just be a bit more localized. If you think of it from this perspective it starts to become a bit easier to help get the better half on board. And if all else fails, just TELL her this is what we will be doing whether she is on board or not. Then comes the hard part of making it part of your lifestyle. Learning to cook with your storage stuffs. Learning to buy, and keep up on your inventory of food and so on. It is actually very satisfying once you start to have stuff there for when you need it. And its fun to try and figure out how to cook with some of this stuff (i love to cook :D). Get a bunch of cook books and such. I got a couple of great books on baking bread. the first one in that link is worth its weight in myrrh.

As for places to get stuff, I typically only go to costco to get stuff for immediate (less than 3weeks or so) use. Their 8 can cases of beans are pretty well priced and I usually grab a case when I go. We eat a lot of beans and not a ton of meat so this works pretty well.

For #10 cans and bulk essential stuff I go to the LDS cannery in St Paul (if you want to go some time let me know and I would be happy to take you there). <broken link removed> is a link to the price sheet in PDF form. Shows you whats available and how much. I don't know if non-members can do it, but they do have portable canners available so that you can can stuff yourself at home. Which is kind of nice if you want to lay up some stuff that they don't offer. Like I did a bunch of lentils last time. They will not let you take food into the cannery anymore.

For spices and random stuff like hot sauce and coconut milk I go to Cash and Carry. They also have pretty good meats at very good prices. I like to make a lot of curry and the coconut milk is like $0.88/can when bought by the case where as its like $2-3/can at Fred Meyer. Check it out, you will be glad you did.

For random freeze dried stuff, Honeyville Grain is great. Get on their email list and they send out 10-15% off coupons every other month or so. Its on the right hand side of the page I linked. They don't spam you. Shipping is like $4.50 for your whole order regardless. Very nice. And their stuff is pretty good.

Surprisingly, Bi-Mart has some good prices on canned goods sometimes. I need to do a little leg work and see where the food in the cans is produced (kind of thinking its china, but not sure as it doesn't say on the cans), but the stuff is at pretty good prices. Hard to argue with that some times. Plus you can also grab a couple boxes of ammo whilst there (ammo there is also priced pretty well :s0155: )

And then there is winco for the canned goods. Usually their prices are pretty decent and they have good selection. I usually keep a good memory of what stuff goes for and what a good deal is when it goes on sale. Hard not to spend a ton of money there every time i go.

I typically stay away from the sites like emergency essentials and the like. They tend to have higher prices and shipping can kill you.

Barefoot. One thing I didn't see covered here is protecting yourself against the loss of your job. In this economy, that would qualify as a SHTF scenerio on a very personal level, especially for a single-earner household. A family should have three to six house payments set aside and preferably enough money to cover all of your essential bills for that time period as well.

(Edit: I just see 'The Cheese' covered this somewhat in his post.)

Keith

I have only elderly neighbors which worries me a bit too, very nice but don't think they will be able to defend themselves much, makes me wonder if my street will become one of the more target rich areas for looters. Can't be a worry wart, one thing at a time.
You have elderly neighbors and you ask us how to prep? Buddy you have a goldmine of info available there.. Spend some time talking to those folks and ask how they dealt with shortages..Some of the oldest may even remember living through the "Great Depression"(most folks that I know that remember it didn't think it was so great) although most must have been kids at the time. Old folks know stuff about hard times.

W44

ps. Appleseed is free for kids and would teach your oldest to shoot a .22 like a pro.

w-44,

when I mentioned the neighbors I meant in regards to security, not in preperation or stockpiling. I agree with you in the fact that they are the best of the best in that regard because of what they have faced and gone through in life.

As for the appleseed and my oldest, I am considering that. Sounds like a great event.

Barefoot. One thing I didn't see covered here is protecting yourself against the loss of your job. In this economy, that would qualify as a SHTF scenerio on a very personal level, especially for a single-earner household. A family should have three to six house payments set aside and preferably enough money to cover all of your essential bills for that time period as well.

(Edit: I just see 'The Cheese' covered this somewhat in his post.)

Keith

Hey Keith,

yeah, I mentioned above that paying ahead on all of our bills is something we are trying to do (especially the house payment), difficult in this economy but it may buy us a few months without having to pay for anything if the dollar fails (which we all know is a strong possiblity). Then we will adjust on the fly to a back-up plan what-ever that might be.

really some great advice here that is for sure. It will definitly help me and hopefully any other newbs as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top