JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

Recently heard a rumor that if you machine your own lower receiver (say for an AR-15), and plan to keep it for personal use (not sell it ever), then you do not need to get a form/serial number for it. This rumor went on to say that, you can go to a machine shop with plans/CAD files/blueprints and, as long as you push the button (i.e. you are the one performing the labor with another's capital), then that was perfectly fine too.

I cannot find information one way or another on this rumor, so I am turning to the collective wisdom of NWFA. thanks

Welllll, alot of home AK builders who do not sell their rifles bend their own flats and the rifles have no serial numbers. I would presume this would apply to any home made firearm that isn't for retail sale.

Keith

It is legal by FEDERAL law, check your state law (WA is legal, it is/was ILLEGAL in OR) to build your own gun for your own use. There are no marking requirements but the ATF does suggest you mark it in a way it can be identified if lost of stolen.

Of course you can ONLY build legal firearms for where you live. In WA it would be legal to build a pistol, rifle, shotgun, silencer, DD, AOW. But it would be illegal to build a SBR or SBS since they are not legal in the state. Of course the NFA guns need to be registered properly BEFROE you build them.

Yes and no. If you make it yourself, your good. If you go to the machine shop and enter all the data into the computer yourself and set the machine up yourself your good. There is no need for you to put a serial number on the gun if you make it yourself. If you go into the machine shop and say here is my data, and they set the machine up and you push the button then the machine shop has manufactured a gun for sale to you. If they are an 07 FFL and they put a serial number along with their identifying information on the gun and transfer the gun to you on a 4473 then no problem. If not then you and the machine shop have broken the law.

Ryan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads