JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy

My best buddy is going through a really tragic divorce and needs to unload some stuff to feed his fat lawyer's huge appetite. He's given me a few rifles to liquidate for him. This SKS is one I have no idea on value... seems pretty beat up, with the main issues being a pretty good size crack in the stock across the grip, and a pretty decent hoar of surface rust across basically all metal. Obviously we'll clean up all the rust, maybe re-blue everything. Functioned fine last time he fired it a few years ago. Bayonet attached and functional.

Looking around a bit, seems there's a pretty wide spread for value- some going for close to a grand, others as low as $300. What dictates market value? Obviously condition is going to have a great effect... what about different models or serial number ranges? Is it worth stripping down and re-bluing, or should I just clean all the rust off and touch up with cold? Would replacing the stock have a positive cost / benefit outcome?

Thanks

-Ben

DO NOT RE BLUE IT unless you want the chepest price you can, value is bassed on model and or factory it came from.
posting pictures would help to figure out some of this.

is ther a triangle next to the SER#? if so can you read the numer IN the triangle?

IMG_04751_zpse8f9e1a6.jpg
IMG_04771_zps4266c3f5.jpg
IMG_04781_zps21ec055f.jpg

Not finding a triangle... will look again.

Why's re-bluing no bueno? I'm guessing once all the rust is scrubbed off, the finish will be characteristically splotchy

Thanks

Because rebluing it will probably cost almost as much as the rifle is worth. Norinco SKS's in good shape sell for about $350. With surface rust and a cracked stock, that one would unfortunately be worth less. Hopefully you can find it a good home and help your buddy out.

Realistically, the damaged stock and rust drop the price to closer to $250 to $300. maybe. Norinco's are desirable so you may get closer to the three hundred.

How is the barrel and crown?

BTW, a lot of that rust will come off with some oil and steel wool and not remove the bluing.

I just bought a non rusted norinco sks off of arms list for $250. I think that thing would sit for while if you had it listed that high. Looking at $175-$200 for a quicker-ish sale. I would definitely take some steel wool to that thing with a little oil. There is no collectors value, so you will only improve the value by making it look prettier.

I would buy a used aftermarket stock for it off ebay or something. Then you could get a good bit more money out of it as the crack is a big hit on value.

lookes like a type 56 rather common, but looking like that maybe $200 if that

most of the time when you RE blue it is not in a factory state so no one want to collect it
but seeing as it looks like that and seems to be a type 56 it is what it is gonna be tough to get over $200 maybe

Yikes... $200 isn't worth bluing, even doing it myself. Sounds like a great candidate for some Oxpho-Blue, though.

Will all of these $30 wood "chinese" stocks I'm seeing on eBay work?

I think I'll re-crown it, Oxpho it, test fire it, replace the stock... will probably look and shoot great, after all that... That's only $50 investment and some weekend time, and maybe snag $350 for it for my bro, and someone gets a great used gun.

BAM!

Thanks gentlemen. Feel free to offer any more thoughts.

I'd scrub the rust off of it and touch up the bluing if needed. Put it in a donor wood stock. All SKSs except D and M models are close enough to work. D and M models have AK47 type mags, not the standard SKS 10 round mag.
I doubt an SKS will ever have any real collector value and you will sell a pretty gun long before an ugly gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top