JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How does BL-C(2) stack up to Varget and CFE223 and H4895?

Published relative burning speeds vary some, but all that I've read show Varget and BL-C(2) close in speed. Varget is an extruded, single base powder. BL-C(2) is a ball, double base powder. Ball powders dispense more uniformly.

One general rule about powders: Heavier bullets like slower powders; lighter bullets like faster powders. So when you're buying powders or bullets, think about the relationship between the two.

Be pretty cool to live in Kansas near the Hodgden factory

I don't think there is a Hodgdon factory, per se. They distribute powder from subsidiary companies they own, plus from licensing arrangements with others. Hodgdon branded powders are made in several different places. Their extruded powders come from Australia. Their and Winchester brand ball powders come from a General Dynamics plant in Florida. The IMR powders come from another General Dynamics plant in Canada. Ramshot / Accurate Arms powders which are mostly ball come from Belgium, eastern Europe and some used to come from Israel. Their few extruded powders probably come from Canada but I'm not sure.

The Hodgdon facility in Herington, Kansas is a powder magazine, packaging plant, and distribution center. If you look on Google Earth, you can see their place to the west of the Herington, KS airport. You can't see any chemical works or anything of that sort that is usually associated with gunpowder manufacturing.

Being so very close to an airport, I'm wondering if they get some bulk shipments in by air. We can't ship it by air, but maybe manufacturers who charter planes can do it.

Hodgdon has been a well-managed and successful business. I would bet against Hodgdon getting their hooks on Alliant brand powders. Which is owned by Vista Outdoors, a big outfit. In the ammo and components business.

Just a whine here but my problem with the powder companies is they discontinued some great powders. I had a factory duplication load in 9mm useing IMR 4756 that was very accurate, then they quit making 4756.

Ya I found other powders to use but it just ticks me off they don't warn you that a powder is going to be discontinued so you can stock up. o_O

Just a whine here but my problem with the powder companies is they discontinued some great powders. I had a factory duplication load in 9mm useing IMR 4756 that was very accurate, then they quit making 4756.

Ya I found other powders to use but it just ticks me off they don't warn you that a powder is going to be discontinued so you can stock up. o_O
Yeah I hear ya, it sucks that the manufacturers always think of the latest/greatest in their products.
Case in point, Ford stopped building quality good looking trucks after 1979.

3D7E08DB-6D7D-4641-88E5-A50D3C6F81CB.jpeg

Last Edited:
From about three years back, most every popular US-made powder has been banned from sale here in Europe, and by that I'm including the UK as well, since at that time propellant imports were governed by international trade directives.

But guess what? Now that the UK is OUT of the EU, those decisions and rulings still stand, since they were made by governmental agreement.

I'll see if I can find a list of those REALLY popular powders that we can't get anymore, but which old f***s like me used to do just about everything.

Here y'are - Y means YES and N means, uh, no.

ManufacturerProduct nameExempt from REACH authorisationNotes
HodgdonHP-38YDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonH110YDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonH414NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
HodgdonH380NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
HodgdonLil' GunYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonHybrid 100VYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonHS-6YDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonH335NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
HodgdonBL-C(2)NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
HodgdonTitewadYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonTitegroupYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonLongshotYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonUS869YDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonLEVEREVOLUTIONYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonSUPERFORMANCEYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonCFE PistolYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonCFE 223YDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonCFE BLKYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonH4227N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH4895N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH4198N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonVargetN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH4350N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH50BMGN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH4831N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH4831SCN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH1000N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonRetumboN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonH322N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonBenchmarkN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
HodgdonHi-Skor 700XY
HodgdonHi-Skor 800XY
HodgdonClays (AS-30N)Y
HodgdonInternational (AS-50N)Y
HodgdonUniversal (AP-70N)Y
HodgdonTrailbossYDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction) <0.1%
HodgdonPyrodex PN/AInconclusive (ingredients witheld as trade secret)
HodgdonPyrodex RSN/AInconclusive (ingredients witheld as trade secret)
HodgdonPyrodex SelectN/AInconclusive (ingredients witheld as trade secret)
HodgdonTriple 7N/AInconclusive (ingredients witheld as trade secret)
IMRBlueY
IMRGreenY
IMRRedY
IMRUnEqualY
IMRIMR 3031N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4007SSCN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4064N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4198N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4227N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4320N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4350N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRSR4756Y
IMRSR4759Y
IMRIMR 4831N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4895N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRSR7625Y
IMRIMR 7828N2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRPBY
IMRIMR 7828SSCN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
IMRIMR 4166Y
IMRIMR 4451Y
IMRIMR 4955Y
IMRIMR 7977Y
IMRIMR 8133Y
IMRIMR 8208 XBRN2,4-dinitrotoluene (carcinogenic)
Alliant PowderBullseyeY
Alliant PowderPower PistolY
Alliant PowderBE-86Y
Alliant PowderE3Y
Alliant PowderPro ReachY
Alliant Powder20/28Y
Alliant PowderSteelY
Alliant PowderUniqueY
Alliant PowderSport PistolY
Alliant PowderPromoY
Alliant PowderExtra-LiteY
Alliant Powder.410Y
Alliant PowderHercoY
Alliant Powder2400Y
Alliant PowderGreen DotY
Alliant PowderBlue DotY
Alliant PowderRed DotY
Alliant PowderClay DotY
Alliant PowderAmerican SelectY
Alliant PowderBlack MZY
Alliant PowderBlue MZY
Alliant PowderPower Pro seriesY
Alliant PowderAR CompNDiisopentyl phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
Alliant PowderReloader seriesNDiisopentyl phthalate (toxic to reproduction)
RamshotNitro 100 NFNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot ZipNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate #2NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate #5NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot SilhouetteNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot True BlueNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate TCMNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 4100NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot EnforcerNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 11FSNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot X-TerminatorNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2230NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot TACNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot HunterNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot Big GameNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot MagnumNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2520NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotRamshot CompetitionNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate #7NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate #9NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 1680NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 5744NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2200NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2460NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2700NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate MagproNDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate Solo 1000NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate LT-30NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate LT-32NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2015NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 2495NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 4064NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotAccurate 4350NDibutyl Phthalate (toxic to reproduction). Ramshot looking to change formula "within the next year or so".
RamshotBlackhorn 209N/AInconclusive (ingredients witheld as trade secret)
VihtavuoriN100 seriesY
VihtavuoriN300 seriesY
VihtavuoriN500 seriesY
Reload SwissRS12Y
Reload SwissRS20Y
Reload SwissRS24Y
Reload SwissRS30Y
Reload SwissRS36Y
Reload SwissRS40Y
Reload SwissRS50Y
Reload SwissRS52Y
Reload SwissRS60Y
Reload SwissRS62Y
Reload SwissRS70Y
Reload SwissRS80Y

And how about my original question? How does BL-C(2) stack up to Varget and CFE223 and H4895?
BL-C(2) meters way better than 4895
My understanding is that CFE 223 is BL-C(2) with a copper fouling removal agent added which , according to some folks makes CFE 223 burn a bit slower than BL-C(2)

Last Edited:
After some years, I learned to look for powders that meter well and are not excessively temperature-sensitive.

If the burn-rate is reasonably matched to the cartridge and barrel length and bullet weight, you can usually make just about any powder shoot well.

Over time, I learned that progressive-press charging apparatus can be very accurate and very consistent when the powder meters well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top