JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally got the chance to dive into my 2021 annual Hodgden manual. Inside I found a breif description of each powder available from Hodgden. As someone who is new to reloading this is important info as we maneuver the world of Smokeless powder and what works for what (the more I explore the bigger it gets and how little I know). New reloaders I highly recommend you pick up your copy of this resource.

Screen_Shot_2020-12-16_at_11.00.34_AM__72870.1608138083.1280.1280.jpg

The only thing I know about powder is the fast burning powders are meant for shorter barrels. Granular shape plays a part and temperature can affect consistency rate. Lots of gas is involved. Explosive gases. The kind that can rattle your teeth.

And everyone loves Varget.

Varget is probably the best general purpose rifle powder there is, only thing comparable is 4064. Both are very useful in lots of cartridges and are accurate. Although for heavy 5.56 these days I use 8208.

It would be easier if powder had names. Like Bob. Or Fred. I use 47.3 gr of BOB in my 7mm-08. My .223 likes FRED. But NOOOO, we get stuck with a bunch of letters and numbers that don't mean bubblegum! :confused:

It would be easier if powder had names. Like Bob. Or Fred. I use 47.3 gr of BOB in my 7mm-08. My .223 likes FRED. But NOOOO, we get stuck with a bunch of letters and numbers that don't mean bubblegum! :confused:
CFE223 means something;)

Besides, Fred and bob are bubblegums.:mad:

And how about my original question? How does BL-C(2) stack up to Varget and CFE223 and H4895?
Varget and H4895 would generally be considered less sensitive to fluctuations in temperature. I have some BL-C but have yet to use it. CFE223 is supposed to give you some of the highest velocities while helping with copper buildup.

Looking at the Hodgden website they sell all powders??? Hodgden, IMR, Ramshot, Winchester. Did they buy them all?
Hodgdon both produces powders and distributes powders produced by other manufactures.

From Wikipedia
The Hodgdon Powder Company began in 1952 as B.E. Hodgdon, Inc., and has become a major distributor of smokeless powder for the ammunition industry, as well as for individuals who load their own ammunition by hand. The company's corporate office and manufacturing facilities are located in Kansas, United States. Hodgdon acquired IMR Powder Company in 2003. Winchester branded reloading powders have been distributed in the United States by Hodgdon since March 2006. In January 2009 Hodgdon acquired GOEX Powder, Inc., located in Minden, Louisiana, the only manufacturer of black powder in the USA.[1] Together these product lines make Hodgdon one of the largest manufacturers and distributors of gunpowder in the world.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top