JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When shooting a hand gun my wife who wears Bifocals is having a terrible time holding a sight picture while being able to see a 25 yard target.

The top of her glasses are for distance the lower for her close up vision. At reading distances around 18" she does not use her glasses at all.

It has been some time since she has been active in shooting and she was very disappointed to find this out last visit with me to the range I just joined.

She used to be a VERY active in blackpowder shooting competing in trail walk and bench rest competitions almost twice a month.

Has anyone here any experiance with a similar problem and know of a way to correct this.

Without her glasses she can not pickup the sights or the target.

dr optic... vision problems can be really difficult to overcome.

my wife has an astigmatism, and can't line up sights on pretty much anything. using the BAC, she can use an RDS just fine- but we're still working on irons. i still haven't warmed up to the idea of putting a mini RDS on a pistol, but it's a solution.

dr optic... vision problems can be really difficult to overcome.

my wife has an astigmatism, and can't line up sights on pretty much anything. using the BAC, she can use an RDS just fine- but we're still working on irons. i still haven't warmed up to the idea of putting a mini RDS on a pistol, but it's a solution.

Trijicon doctor optic looks pretty cool on pistols. Battery lasts like 6 years or something ridiculous too.

Trijicon doctor optic looks pretty cool on pistols. Battery lasts like 6 years or something ridiculous too.

I take it that is some kind of red dot sight? Someone else suggested we look into that. But looking at the web sight those cost more then we paid for the pistol new. I would rather get her a shot gun LOL.

Her problem with her bifocals is not having both the sights and the target in focus at the same time and when she moves her head to adjust she looses her hold.

I know folks who had similar problems, and my eyes will be heading in that direction soon. My friends talked with their eye doctor(s) and they all recommended getting a prescription set of shooting glasses...a different prescription than the regular lenses you wear. They decrease the power in your dominant (Sighting) eye slightly, so you can focus on the sight and the target out to about 100 yards.

All my friends who've done this say it is definately the way to go...you should be wearing shooting glasses anyway...why not have the prescription taylored for shooting.

When my eyes reach that point...and it won't be long...it's what I'm going to do.

I take it that is some kind of red dot sight? Someone else suggested we look into that. But looking at the web sight those cost more then we paid for the pistol new. I would rather get her a shot gun LOL.

Well, good optics cost money. There are more affordable options out there though. The Burris FastFire is sub-$200 and the Primary Arms micro reflex is $75. Anything cheaper than that and you're into airsoft territory. Anyway, both these optics are more than adequate for range work, but remember that when you go with the cheaper options you are sacrificing toughness and battery life. Granted, your wife probably won't be rappelling down the side of a building and busting through windows like a tier 1 ninja operator or anything, but when I get things I plan on using to defend my life with I like to have the best equipment available.

Prescription shooting glasses is a pretty good idea too though, actually I might do that for myself... :D

YellowPeanutButter is on the right track.

With a good optician, (maybe or maybe not LensCrafters grade), describing her situation, she should be able to have shooting glasses constructed that will work. She could even take a "mock-up" pistol (doesn't even have to look like a pistol) with representative "sights" on it to the doctor to make sure she gets the best thing available for the problem. I'm thinking she definitely needs to trash the trifocals for when she's shooting.

Auto pistol? Yank the slide and haul it in with her sights still on it. Warn the optician she's bringing it, and it won't resemble a gun in deference to the granolas that might be present. Should be a private venue anyway.

Mark W:

For me, with drugstore reading glasses a quarter to half dioptor weaker than my near correction, the front sight is cristal clear.
This works for SLOW TARGET shooting as the rear sight and target remain fuzzy.
It's hard to break the habit of switching your focus from sight to target and back.
I use red dots were I can and fiber optic front sights when I cannot.

Lots of info here:
Dr. Norman Wong Articles as posted to the Bullseye List

If it's a blow back 22LR pistol, a red dot tube type is less than $50, with TruGlo is the best of the several cheapies I have.

just sayin'
Tilos

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top