JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a call from VPD yesterday asking if I owned a HK45 compact? I said no haven’t had one in a long time. He said “we did a search warrant on a house and this is one of 13 guns recovered from gang members / drug dealers house. We traced the gun and it shows you purchased the gun from Brightwater 01/07”. I couldn’t remember who I sold/traded the gun too. Well come to find out I traded it back to brightwater cuz this is before I started trading or selling guns on NWFA or any other site.

I have never sold to a shady or gangster person but it sure has me rethinking. I normally don’t do anything other than see the license plate and if its WA and the person isn’t shady we are good to go.

So my question is what to do in the future? I am leaning towards bill of sale for my records only. Give me your .02 on this?

I got a call from VPD yesterday asking if I owned a HK45 compact? I said no haven’t had one in a long time. He said “we did a search warrant on a house and this is one of 13 guns recovered from gang members / drug dealers house. We traced the gun and it shows you purchased the gun from Brightwater 01/07”. I couldn’t remember who I sold/traded the gun too. Well come to find out I traded it back to brightwater cuz this is before I started trading or selling guns on NWFA or any other site.

I have never sold to a shady or gangster person but it sure has me rethinking. I normally don’t do anything other than see the license plate and if its WA and the person isn’t shady we are good to go.

So my question is what to do in the future? I am leaning towards bill of sale for my records only. Give me your .02 on this?

why change your method? having a bill of sale would just involve you further in crap you don't want to be involved in. as it is, it ended with a phone call. i'd rather keep it that way.

I don't keep detailed records myself, but you really should at least check ID and not the license plate. Lots of people keep a record, I just verify by simple means that I have followed due diligence to not sell to anyone not allowed to own. I check their drivers license to verify it's not expired and has a WA address on it. Then I actually ask if they are a felon or convicted of DV and it is legal for them to own a gun. If I can confidently state that I have done that on every transaction then I know I have done my part. It seems odd that they would call at all actually, unless the gun had been reported stolen.

a bill of sale should be done for your PRIVATE records. they found out you owned the weapon. why is there no record of the gun store having this weapon after you? huh. last thing you want is to be linked to a felon by selling them a gun, you did not do this directly but the police don't know that. I believe a bill of sale is a great piece of mind in your records for issues like this. just my thought

A cell phone picture of their drivers license along with the bill of sale. Print it off and toss it in a file to collect dust. You're not obligated to do it, but for peace of mind, it's a good CYA thing to do.

Last Edited:
LOL! "peace" of mind. Sorry, my fingers work faster then my brain and I'm still sitting here having breakfast. Until breakfast is done, english is my second language. It's all grunts and whistles before then.

If you don't want to do a bill of sale at least keep the license plate and cell phone info in case the authorities found the gun at a crime scene. It is better to be able to put them on the right trail rather than having them investigate you and yours. Once the media picks up that you are a "suspect" or person of interest your life will be ****. Always better to throw the investigator a bone and get them on the right track. Just my .02 worth. Peas

If you don't want to do a bill of sale at least keep the license plate and cell phone info in case the authorities found the gun at a crime scene. It is better to be able to put them on the right trail rather than having them investigate you and yours. Once the media picks up that you are a "suspect" or person of interest your life will be ****. Always better to throw the investigator a bone and get them on the right track. Just my .02 worth. Peas

while being accused or even just suspected of a gun crime could bubblegum your life up- i just dont think that EVER happens. people buy and sell guns on the street all the time- probably significantly more often than people buy guns in gun shops. no investigator worth is salary would ever suspect someone just because their name is on the 4473- total waste of time.

I overheard some kids in line at Five Guys the other night when I was waiting for a burger. They were talking about wanting to commit some armed crimes, but didn't have any way to be armed. I wonder if the OP would like to sell them some firearms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top