JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No staking nessesary. Just tension and a small bit of loctite. Have a small welded node a buddy put on one of my pipe wrenches. Never had a castle nut budge, works like a champ!

Cannot bring myself to using a thread locking compound on castle nuts, barrel nuts or securing handguards (not talking hardware). Loctite has it's place on AR's but those are three places it does not. Just goes agin' my learnin'

Cannot bring myself to using a thread locking compound on castle nuts, barrel nuts or securing handguards (not talking hardware). Loctite has it's place on AR's but those are three places it does not. Just goes agin' my learnin'
Ive heard that from some. I cant bring myself to stake a castle nut. However I fully understand NOT using it on barrel nuts.. that I agree with.

But I do use loctite on handguard fastners as those always work their way loose in my experience.

As for loctite and the castle nut, Its worked for me so far and the loctite is only on the ladder part of the threads that the castle nut rides on so its never been an issue getting it off when I want to. However with the new ratchet end plate systems stakingand loctite might be a thing of the past.

Makes me think of one of the reasons that Rock River is a little sucky.
Misuse of Loctite
Commercial RE's (and buttstocks)
Still using rifle BE's

I don't use any locktite on my castle nuts either. I just tighten it up well and call it good. I know the fully assembled rifle I bought has the castle nut staked which is required per military specs.

I did buy a new BCG last year and it arrived with screws not staked at all. I sent it back via RMA to have the screws staked.

It was a well known manufacturer and not PSA either.

Last Edited:
:)

347EFA5D-195F-4E04-A35B-95B8A8A548C5.jpeg 782E8B37-5DD1-4ADA-86EA-81C0CA8788FF.jpeg

I haven't staked or used thread locker on any of my buffer tube nuts. I've built 4x AR-15 lowers and 2x AR-308 lowers and haven't staked any of them. never had one come loose on me.

Never staked one. Simply cranked down with a minimal amount of loctite, all Ive done have held so far. Works well.
And with the new ratchet system, its all a thing of the past.

The expression "staked a catle nut" meaning the action of it, not physically staking the castle nut itself. Guess we got some folks here who really like detail.
Never staked an "endplate", better? :rolleyes:

The AR endplate, which receives the staking, is a cheap and easily replaceable part.
IIRC, torque for the castle nut is 38-42 ft lbs with grease on the threads (from the Tech Manual).

Last Edited:
Should you run out of ammo when the zombies attack, you may have to use your buttstock as weapon.
Therefore, you want your castle nut staked.
You don't want to die on the toilet with an un-staked castle nut.

:)

Regarding building your own AR15, there is a right way, many wrong ways, new ways and old fashioned old ways. I am old school. You can build your own AR15. I have built a few hundred. Rebuilt who knows how many. Most of the vids are wrong. Some are close. Maybe a few are correct. If you have any questions, PEM me. I will help your through it. Not rocket science. You can do it.

OP, because you live in a restricted state I encourage you to read up on your state's laws before you build an AR. You want to know exactly what you are getting into so that you can make your own informed decisions.

I'm building an AR-15 for my son have all the parts and am looking for a blueprint ?
I assembled my umpteenth lower tonight in about 45 minutes with time between parts letting my hands uncramp. Did 99% by memory. Had to refresh myself on the trigger spring orientation.

My only part I hate is the mag catch rollpin. Ugh, I loathe that task.

I assembled my umpteenth lower tonight in about 45 minutes with time between parts letting my hands uncramp. Did 99% by memory. Had to refresh myself on the trigger spring orientation.

My only part I hate is the mag catch rollpin. Ugh, I loathe that task.

A fellow member of NWFA suggested I get the KAK Bolt catch roll pin starter punch so I ordered one. I have not had a chance to it try yet:

KAK BOLT CATCH ROLL PIN STARTER PUNCH (WALT'S TOOL)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top