JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've reached the point where I need a gun storage solution for about five long guns and a couple of pistols (so far :) ). For fear of corrosion in the puget sound climate, I no longer want to longer want to store my guns in their soft cases. I'm living in an apartment, so a full size safe is out of the question. I've seen the sheet metal security cabinets, and am leaning that direction right now. Does anybody use one, and do you find that the desiccant works well in the cabinet? Brand recommendations, alternate options, and other tips greatly appreciated. Just want to check with the brain trust before plunking down cash. :)

I have been thinking of getting a safe for my apartment as well. So far I really like the modular safe from Zanotti. Take a look at them at zanottiarmor.com. There are a few other modular safe manufactures out there, does anyone have one that could provide some feedback?

Although I can't remember the name of this product, I store my guns in silicone treated gun socks. We once moved from medford to Portland and I had to rent a storage unit for about 8 or 10 months. It was unheated and open to the elements. It was almost like being outside. I left a number of firearms in an old tin box lockup. When I was finally able to retrieve our property I inspected the guns and found that there had been NO rust or other damage in spite of the high moisture content of this northwest air. I have complete confidence in them. I bought them at Bi-Mart so the next time I am in the store I will get the name and report it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT store firearms in a home fire type safe you can purchase at Bi-Mart, Wal Mart or Office Max and similar retail outlets. Many people are tempted to go this route because it is percieved to be an inexpensive but effective alternative - but it is potentially not! I'm not talking about the sheet metal models designed specifically for guns but rather the ones designed specifically as fire safes for documents and are very heavy relative to their size.

They are generally insulated with concrete sandwiched between metal. Concrete hydrates for up to 50 years after it initially sets (it means it is still curing 50 years later). Concrete is a compound manufactured when dry cement is mixed with H20. When they are mixed together the dry cement reacts with the water and the concrete hydrates (or discharges the moisture in the air) for a very long time. When it hydrates it discharges moisture (albeit smaller amounts over time) from the concrete into the sealed box.

Any metal inside is going to be exposed to a humid sealed micro climate. It is a rust coffin waiting to happen!

Read the label on your safe and make absolutely certain it is safe for metal and/or firearms. Many reputable manufacturers will put on the label no firearms or metal. It's not that their anti-gun, they just don't like people complaining about their $900 guns rusting inside their safes!

Thanks for the advice guys. I found a product on Brownells, "Bore Store", here: (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1850/Product/BORE_STORES_LONG_TERM_STORAGE_CASES) Is the product you were referring to Dario? Reasonably priced if they work well.

So what would be a recommended plan? I was thinking the cheap Stack-On 8 or 10 gun cabinet ( <broken link removed> ) with a desiccant inside. Would the Bore Store socks take the place of the desiccant or just add another layer of protection? Thanks guys.

The way I see it, you lock up your guns for two reasons:

1. To keep the kids from getting to them
2. To keep them from getting stolen

Any storage/moisture issues can solved without locking up your guns.

The locker style gun cabinets work great for reason #1 and not so much for #2.

I would suggest a half-size gun safe like this one at Costco. It will keep your guns safe (and any other documents or valuables), but is small enough that you can buy a couple six packs, call in a favor, and get it to your next apartment with the help of a buddy.

Ya. I've seen those half safes, but 700 is a little expensive at this point - probably worth about the same as the guns being stored :eek:. If the sheet metal cabinets are not a sufficient security measure anyways, maybe I should just deal with the corrosion isssue? The silicone cases seem like they would suffice, and kids are not an issue for at least a few years. It would be nice to have some security though. At least with the sheet metal cabinet I could bolt it into studs in the closet. Any theifs would at least have to do a little work. If anyone broke in looking for the guns specifically, they probably would be able to carry away a half safe too. Hmmm. I'm going to head out and check out the options at local stores. Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

I had the same issue, but a tight budget. I got one of those $90.00 heavy sheet metal safes from the discount store and "remodeled" it so it could be quite effective. It was reasonably well built, but had weak points to be dealt with.

It was designed to fit in the end of a closet where a crowbar could not be effectively used to tear it out. I added heavy washers to the lag screws which went deeply into the wall studs, and I drilled out the safe to use MORE lag screws. Believe me, it would require tearing down the walls to get that safe out. Yet, it could be easily unbolted from the inside come moving day. And even then, with all of the weight of the guns and my full ammo cans it would be a big job to haul away.

The long piano hinge was assembled with aluminum pop-rivets! Without attention, these could have easily been cut with a chisel. So I simply drilled holes along the piano hinges and added two dozen small steel bolts and nuts, and then the hinges could no longer be chiseled out.

The lock and locking bars were relatively weak, and the lock could have been punched easily. BUT, nothing prohibited me from adding a pair of massive "screw-covering" hasps reinforced with washers, and bombproof disk locks. Sure, a bad burglar could have cut into it with a carborundum power saw, but it would take a lot of time and noise. A good burglar would not even try.

As for corrosion protection, just grease 'em up good! One of the very best rust preventors for guns is the brand, "Corrosion-X." And it's not greasy!............................elsullo

Thanks for the advice guys. I found a product on Brownells, "Bore Store", here: (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1850/Product/BORE_STORES_LONG_TERM_STORAGE_CASES) Is the product you were referring to Dario? Reasonably priced if they work well.

So what would be a recommended plan? I was thinking the cheap Stack-On 8 or 10 gun cabinet ( <broken link removed> ) with a desiccant inside. Would the Bore Store socks take the place of the desiccant or just add another layer of protection? Thanks guys.

I went into the store today and checked. The product is named SACK.UPS. They are a rifle/shotgun sack, 52 inches long. They protect from heat, water and smoke. They are made of a cotton fabric contains a corrosion inhibitor and wicks moisture away from metal. I read this from the package. They sell for $6.99 at Bi-mart. I don't have any connection to this company but I have had very good luck for many years using Sack.Ups. They have kept my guns from harm. Hope this helps.

I've reached the point where I need a gun storage solution for about five long guns and a couple of pistols (so far :) ). For fear of corrosion in the puget sound climate, I no longer want to longer want to store my guns in their soft cases. I'm living in an apartment, so a full size safe is out of the question. I've seen the sheet metal security cabinets, and am leaning that direction right now. Does anybody use one, and do you find that the desiccant works well in the cabinet? Brand recommendations, alternate options, and other tips greatly appreciated. Just want to check with the brain trust before plunking down cash. :)

We live in a very humid environment also - Florida. Corrosion due to excess moisture is a very real concern for me when it comes to gun storage, currently 3 hand guns. I use the following in my gun safe to control the humidity: http://www.silicagelpackets.com/dry...cks-40-gram-silica-gel-aluminum-canister.html. I like it because the orange Silica Gel beads in the middle window changes to green when it has absorbed as much as it can hold. When that happens, I just put it in the oven according to the directions to reactivate it. Then it goes back in the safe again. It works great!

Whatever you do, DO NOT store firearms in a home fire type safe you can purchase at Bi-Mart, Wal Mart or Office Max and similar retail outlets. Many people are tempted to go this route because it is percieved to be an inexpensive but effective alternative - but it is potentially not! I'm not talking about the sheet metal models designed specifically for guns but rather the ones designed specifically as fire safes for documents and are very heavy relative to their size.

They are generally insulated with concrete sandwiched between metal. Concrete hydrates for up to 50 years after it initially sets (it means it is still curing 50 years later). Concrete is a compound manufactured when dry cement is mixed with H20. When they are mixed together the dry cement reacts with the water and the concrete hydrates (or discharges the moisture in the air) for a very long time. When it hydrates it discharges moisture (albeit smaller amounts over time) from the concrete into the sealed box.

Any metal inside is going to be exposed to a humid sealed micro climate. It is a rust coffin waiting to happen!

Read the label on your safe and make absolutely certain it is safe for metal and/or firearms. Many reputable manufacturers will put on the label no firearms or metal. It's not that their anti-gun, they just don't like people complaining about their $900 guns rusting inside their safes!

I bought an AMSEC TF5517 (American Security gun safe) from Joe's a little over a year ago. It doesn't say anything about being filled with concrete, but I'm still curious. Is my safe, safe? :s0131:

<broken link removed>

I went into the store today and checked. The product is named SACK.UPS. They are a rifle/shotgun sack, 52 inches long. They protect from heat, water and smoke. They are made of a cotton fabric contains a corrosion inhibitor and wicks moisture away from metal. I read this from the package. They sell for $6.99 at Bi-mart. I don't have any connection to this company but I have had very good luck for many years using Sack.Ups. They have kept my guns from harm. Hope this helps.

I also have a few silicone-impregnated wiping cloths and wipe down my firearms before storing (including just inside the end of the barrel) in the silicone sock. This gives an extra measure of moisture protection.

I went and bought a "Stack-On" sheet metal cabinet from bi-mart,along with some 2'' lag bolts. I put the cabinet in one of my closets and was able to catch both studs in the wall and one joist in the floor. I feel that my guns are well hidden and secure. Hope this helps you out:s0155:

I've ordered the silicone treated socks to combat corrosion, they should be here in a couple days. I'm thinking that the stack-on sheet metal cabinet bolted into place is currently my most cost effective option on the security front. The 8 gun model looks like it will fit nicely in a closet. Project for this weekend or next, depending on work. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top