JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I said screw all the politics so Im going fishing.

I have not been fishing since I was a kid in Montana so I pretty much starting from scratch and need some help on what tackle I should be using.

It will be salt water fishing on rocky shores like this since it is near me.
Untitled.png

I got myself a surf cast rod at 12 ft (12 ft is longer than I expected :eek:) and a regular spinning reel and some 15 lbs line.

I pretty much remember zero about what I should put on the end of the line. I got a few basic hooks, spinners and one of those fancy Rapala lures that was like $7. But Im looking for advice on what to use before I waste too much money. Going to try and figure out how to tie knots again.

Any tips for what to use on a salt water shore line?

Old clean spark plugs make great sinkers. Just hammer down the electrode tip and tie a 4 -5 lb test drop line to your three way swivel.

Weight on the bottom, one or two hooks above the sinker depending on what regs say.

Where are you fishing??? Still here in PNW??

Since we are not on the Gulf of Mexico, much of that article won't apply... we don't have redfish, drum, and flounders won't be near those rocks. Too bad you don't have a local tackle store, they would tell you what is what.

However, if fishing PNW shore, you should be able to fish for surf perch, and kelp bass, maybe others but you won't be finding any deep water species like rock cod or ling cod.

Bait suggestions:
Mussels
Calamari
Shrimp
Rock moss (the finer the better, the big leaf stuff won't work)

Just wing er out there, reel up the slack and watch the line. If you get to fish in actual surf on a sandy shore, you might catch some other species with a bait on the bottom type rig and just letting it roll in n out in the surf, which it want to do anyway.

Enjoy!

Edit: Achhh, didn't you move? If fishing N. Cal. it's pretty much the same story except you MIGHT catch some Garibaldi.

Bolus - hit up iFish dot net and ask the Salty Dog forum for specifics...

But 15lb line is light for saltwater, esp if using a surf rod. 25-30 would be more normal. Depending on tidal action - 1 to 2 oz of lead is nothing. I typically use 4 to 8 oz on Oregon beaches if trying to still fish. If allowable tie the sinker to the bottom and make dropper loops 12 to 36 inches above - i use 2 hooks on different droppers where legal.

Live bait is great if legal, if not chunks of dead fish, shrimp, squid or worms work for most species. You have quite a host of species there where you are. Good luck!

Clam necks hold onto the hooks like debt to a sharecropper. You can't shake em loose.
I would think lead weights would be expensive in Hawaii, plus you lose a lot of them if you're fishing in the rocks not so environmentally sensitive.

Weight on the bottom, one or two hooks above the sinker depending on what regs say.

Where are you fishing??? Still here in PNW??

Since we are not on the Gulf of Mexico, much of that article won't apply... we don't have redfish, drum, and flounders won't be near those rocks. Too bad you don't have a local tackle store, they would tell you what is what.

However, if fishing PNW shore, you should be able to fish for surf perch, and kelp bass, maybe others but you won't be finding any deep water species like rock cod or ling cod.

Bait suggestions:
Mussels
Calamari
Shrimp
Rock moss (the finer the better, the big leaf stuff won't work)

Just wing er out there, reel up the slack and watch the line. If you get to fish in actual surf on a sandy shore, you might catch some other species with a bait on the bottom type rig and just letting it roll in n out in the surf, which it want to do anyway.

Enjoy!

Edit: Achhh, didn't you move? If fishing N. Cal. it's pretty much the same story except you MIGHT catch some Garibaldi.

Im in Hawaii now. No bait stores near by but definitely have shrimp at the supermarket. No beaches near me for sand fleas though I do have foot long centipedes that I would happily throw in the water to die.

Thanks guys. good stuff for me to look into

Im in Hawaii now. No bait stores near by but definitely have shrimp at the supermarket. No beaches near me for sand fleas though I do have foot long centipedes that I would happily throw in the water to die.

Hawaii, i got nothin. If'n I was you, I'd rent a boat and go for some wahoo. :D

Last Edited:
HANG ON WHILE i TRY TO FIX THE LINK - got it! If still not working, let me know.

I found this: dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/files/2014/04/fishes_of_hawaii.pdf

A quick glance seemed to be very informative!!! Looks like snapper and barracuda could be winners!

I got the fishing guide from the state as well. No licenses needed out here. They have some size limits and you cant hurt the turtles but otherwise its wide open fishing.

I got the fishing guide from the state as well. No licenses needed out here. They have some size limits and you cant hurt the turtles but otherwise its wide open fishing.

Added a link to my other post re: kayaks. :)

No license - hmmm wife said I might be able to convince her to go. Let us know how you do. :D

Train those centipedes to latch onto the fish as do a slow retrieve.;)

Hawaii? Get thee a Hawaiian sling and skewer some stuff..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top