JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently sold a pistol to someone is Alabama via gunbroker. I was blown away when I was quoted $90+ to overnight ship via contract carrier from Eugene. From what I've read handguns are to be shipped differently than long guns, and only by contract carrier with overnight shipping.

So, my first question. Does anyone know a better (much cheaper) method of shipping to a(n) across state line gun dealer?
My thought is pay a local gun dealer to ship it, because they can ship using regular USPS mail. Is this correct?
Does anyone know a local gun dealer that will do this?

And my last question... Why the &^%& is a pistol different to ship by the USPS? I could, and have, shipped a AR10 via USPS priority without issues, but If its a pistol. I can't make any sense of this.

In case its important the pistol is a revolver.

Thanks guys and gals!

$90 seems pretty steep. I'd go to my local favorite FFL with the lowest transfer fees and have them ship it.

For example, one of my dealers charges a $25 transfer fee and ships out handguns via USPS Priority for $25. He used to charge whatever the Flat Rate cost was if he could fit it in the box, but it was easier just charging $25 to include shipping materials, time, resources, etc. I'm not complaining....it's way cheaper than UPS or FedEx overnight.

I'd make a copy of the receiving FFL's license to give to the dealer so they could have a copy to include in the box just in case something goes wrong. I've had boxes where the label was messed up and the "invoice" or license address was the only thing that saved it.

Don't feel too bad. I shipped a handgun to Greyguns in Spray Oregon for trigger work. Even though it will never go on an airplane, UPS rules are firm, it must go overnight shipping. It cost me $60.00 with insurance. Check with your local FFL, they can ship via USPS for less.

A FFL can mail a gun in a prioroity flat rate box for about 12 bucks. The FFL holder has to have some form on file at their post office and then they are good to go. I suspect most don't want to be bothered.

Correction from my post above: It was $35 Priority Mail shipping, as listed in the original posting. (I was away from home when I posted above and made my best guess at the shipping price via USPS.)

Don't feel too bad. I shipped a handgun to Greyguns in Spray Oregon for trigger work. Even though it will never go on an airplane, UPS rules are firm, it must go overnight shipping. It cost me $60.00 with insurance. Check with your local FFL, they can ship via USPS for less.

I think a pistol being sent for repair can go USPS, not UPS.

Does it have to be Priority? I just bought a pistol from GunsAmerica - shipped to my FFL for $25 shipping USPS and arrived in 3 days as stated fully insured. The advantage to shipping USPS is that if someone screws you they are engaging in mail fraud using the United states Post Office and someone will *do* something about it.

I always use the USPS and ship to FFL holders and call them in advance to make sure it's all good. The last purchase and shipping was stupid proof. I always use USPS and have never been upset with high shipping prices (I'm not paying $90 for shipping - no deal. Keep the gun...:cool:) and have had no issues with USPS except that the tracking is 24 hours behind where the gun actually is.

VooDoo

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads