JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Awhile back I bookmarked an article on 9mm brass prep. It discussed using a 38 special die to size the case mouth? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Anyone familure with this technique?

Yes I know it seems silly to do actual brass prep on 9mm, but for bulk range brass that you plan on reloading.....

-Matthew

Last Edited:
Not to say nobody has done it but I'm not sure why you would. A .38 special uses a .357" bullet vs a .355 or .356" on a 9mm not to mention that a 38 special case is straight walled and 9mm is tapered. Sure you aren't thinking of .38 super?

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this. Definitely leaves me wondering even if you could...why would you?

I de-glock my 40 S&W, and started doing the same for all my 9mm range brass.

Here is what I remember doing for 9mm range brass prep.

Rinse brass to remove dirt and rocks.
Clean with SS media
Dry and sort.
Spray with Dillon case lube
De-glock
Decap and partial size with 9mm carbide die
Then size the case mouth with a carbide 38 spl. die.
Then a quick clean.
Dry, and bag for long term storage.

I ended up with a nice case that worked in everything. And no coke bottle shape, etc.

*i did just order a steel 9mm die. It should faithfully recreate the 9mm taper that I was trying to emulate above.

Still looking for that article. :mad:

x2

i have loaded 1000s of 40 s&w and shot them thru my glock and none of them needed said procedure. i just size and deprime like i would anything else straight wall.
I've done the same with countless thousands of 9mm... Clean, de prime, resize, prime, reload and taper crimp... Never any issues whether they're shot from a Glock, a block, a Colt or what have you...

IMG_0256.JPG
Tough bunch. You have never had to deal with the glock smile?

ive heard about it for sure. from the 10s of 1000s of 40 brass i have loaded ive probably only thrown away 100 of those that were picked up from the range or in a bag of brass i bought from a gunshow or wherever. maybe ive got lucky? just never found it necessary to buy the "thru-sizer" in my opinion. when resizing/deprime i just make sure to have a little bit of "cam over" with my press.

my glock 23 has the factory proof marks for the upgraded barrel and chamber support so i dont have to worry about the glock smile coming out of the gun, which in turn puts a smile on my face, rather :D

if you ever buy a glock chambered in .40 s&w the proof mark is a pentagon for the chamber support and a dot inside the pentagon is for the stronger barrel as far as i know. mine has the pentagon with a dot in the middle. :p

And make you happy to know you'll most likely go home with all your fingers right where they were meant to be :D
ha ha. ive came close to having a couple squibs but it was my own error on the reloading bench. next round wouldnt chamber and sure enough there was a bullet stuck in the barrel... YA HEAR THAY KIDS? AT THE RANGE, IF IT AINT RIGHT, STOP, ASSESS AND CORRECT. DONT TRY TO SHOOT A BULLET THRU WITH ANOTHER ROUND!!!

It's a one time operation. I have the GRX die. You can feel the cases that need it. Remember, this is range brass of unknown origin. There are a zillion older glocks out there.

It's a one time operation. I have the GRX die. You can feel the cases that need it. Remember, this is range brass of unknown origin. There are a zillion older glocks out there.

I find and use plenty of range brass. Just me, but I chitcan any that don't look right. Now that I know about Glock smile, I think I'll keep doing that... not buying anything extra or taking extra steps. I like reloading, but not THAT much. ;)

Good post!

OMG! I found it. Hope posting an old URL from another site is ok.
Cha Bei Reloading and Shooting: Insights to Reloading 9mm Luger

"And a 38 Special; Size and De-prime in station #4, With the De-Priming Pin REMOVED this completes the equipment required to Prep and Condition the; Many fired and mixed 9mm range brass."

"Station #4: This one is different .. The 38 Special is a Straight Wall Case (vs the slight taper 0.011" of the 9mm) use this die to RE-SIZE only the first 0.200". This provides a good dimension to ensure a slight interference fit with the 9mm Bullet. "

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads