JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got my life time supply of 9mm brass when the LEO's were being trained, not to pick up brass. :D
Must not have been too many Glocks around then as I didn't run across any bulged cases.:)
Right now I shoot a cast 145gr.HP sized to .357 in both my .38Spl. and my 9mm.:eek:

"Station #4: This one is different .. The 38 Special is a Straight Wall Case (vs the slight taper 0.011" of the 9mm) use this die to RE-SIZE only the first 0.200". This provides a good dimension to ensure a slight interference fit with the 9mm Bullet. "
Didn't click to read the article but, that's just nuts.
To imply an "interference fit" means that the bullet is not in the case yet and to get the bullet into the case means that one generally has to have a slight flare to receive the bullet.. so it makes no sense.
Also, there's such a process as using a Lee FCD and using it for "pass through sizing" to perhaps size the base of the brass a bit more for very tight chambers.. has nothing to do with the mouth.
It is my understanding that the head of 9mm is thicker and stronger than .40 and usually operates at lesser pressure meaning that it is very rare to find Glocked brass in 9, which you are talking about.
And a "coke bottle" appearance is nothing to fret over either. It is mere proof that the bullet is gripped tightly.. or your bullet might be "too large".. but if it chambers and shoots well, it's actually a good thing.
If I were to do all the prep that you indicated in one of your posts, I would quit shooting.. as I mainly use reloads.

As already stated, 9mm case pressure is lower than .40. .40 bulges because of the case pressure and lack of chamber support in certain guns. I run all .40 and 10mm brass through a grx die before loading. To worry about the bulge with 9mm is not necessary.

The fact that they resize their 9mm brass three times just for prep is crazy. I've loaded tons of 9mm and all from reclaimed brass. It gets run through the press with a universal decap die(because I like clean primer pockets, not a necessity) then wet tumbled, and bagged until I'm ready to load them. Then they are sized, primed, charged, seated, and crimped(seperate operations for seat and crimp).

The guy is using an xl650 and says to set the size die to lightly contact the shellplate...I have found that with my 650s and 1050 the die need to hard contact the shellplate to size the case properly. Probably why he feels the need to size three times, could have been done correctly once.

Ok. I have now heard of using a .38 special die to resize 9mm Luger. The article here was the first time I had heard of it. I think that I understand what the author is trying to accomplish by using the extra die. He obviously thinks he has a need for that extra die.
I don't think that I have the same need as the author. I don't think that using that extra die would provide any benefit for my reloading. I'll just use standard 9mm Luger dies, thanks.

The whole process is to bring the casings as close back to factory as one can. All while weeding out the bad ones.

I have three 9mm carbide dies. Each one of them sizes differently. None of them size all the way down the case. The Lee budge buster will size what the other dies can't touch.

Of course I'm going to over do it at first. Most folks do, before they give up, and just run it all through their progressive, barely cleaned and totally unsorted. The time savings would be enormous.

The whole process is to bring the casings as close back to factory as one can. All while weeding out the bad ones.

I have three 9mm carbide dies. Each one of them sizes differently. None of them size all the way down the case. The Lee budge buster will size what the other dies can't touch.

Of course I'm going to over do it at first. Most folks do, before they give up, and just run it all through their progressive, barely cleaned and totally unsorted. The time savings would be enormous.
yep, i am most folks LOL. i commend you for your thoroughness!

Well crap! I've turned into a yuppie reloader? I must live too close to Portland...

Bad guys don't care if they are shot with shinny ammo that conform to saami specs. Grungy rounds that chamber, poke the same damn holes! :confused:

:(

IMO there is no need to remanufacture 9mm to factory specs. Most bad cases I can visually identify. Even so due to experience, I have started putting all my recovered 9mm cases thru the case gauge prior to reloading. That is my prep. I don't tumble brass each time since I don't care if it's shiny as long as it is usable.

I suppose the extra sizing is not much diff than putting cases thru the case gauge first, except it's easier and faster to use the case gauge (while in my easy chair watching TV), and I don't see the need to do the first .200 as the Dillon 550 has a belling stage at #2.

Didn't watch the vid... sorry. :)

Remember, they're ("range brass") just for practice, plinking, perhaps hunting, competition and zombies.. so if one out of 10,000 perhaps doesn't have proper neck tension or whatever, it won't be the end of the world.. probably.
However, I do sometimes load up special purpose ammo for hunting (yep, the 9 kills stuff) or defense. For actual defense ammo I would/will always use high quality once fired by me brass and sometimes I'll lacquer the bell before "crimp" and then lacquer the primer.
Always plunk check loads that really matter in your gun. A gauge doesn't have a throat like a pistol barrel.

The standard 9mm resizing die reduces the case neck smaller than nominal, and the "EXPANDER" expands the neck to determine neck tension.
IE, a smaller diameter expander will increase the neck tension on a bullet.

As stated: ""This provides a good dimension to ensure a slight interference fit with the 9mm Bullet."" is just BS...
:D

Uh-oh... I can hear the prosecution now " Not only did the accused, unjustly fill my client full of lead unjustly for wielding a butcher knife in his vincinity, but he he premeditated to inflict as much damage as possible buy shooting dirty bullets from filthy brass cases...

Yup your screwed :p

My opinion is this is just some guy that has a problem in his head.
It is totally unnecessary to process brass this way. I would like to know the micrometer reading at the case mouth of his finished rounds, they each look improperly crimped.
9mm seats on the case mouth and a heavy roll crimp is a mistake.

Lots of flash but I don't buy it.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

See station 5 [ his crimped rounds ] then the drawing below it. The draft is how his finished 9mm rounds should look. H2 9.65 - G1 9.03
The type of roll crimp he is using is for use in Rimmed full house magnum straight wall Cases [ and some others but not 9mm ], to hold the pill under extreme recoil.
Cha Bei Reloading and Shooting: Insights to Reloading 9mm Luger

Silver Hand

Last Edited:
I've probably loaded 20,000 to 30,000 rounds of 9mm over the past 25 years using a standard RCBS 9mm carbide die set. Haven't had a problem yet, and I'll be damned if I'm going to contemplate using a 38 Special die at this point in time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top