JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new P229 Scorpion 9mm. Just bought it at NW Armory last week. I took it out shooting today and noti ed that when it fires, the slide doesn't cycle at all. So the shell doesnt eject and the hammer doesn't go back. I have to manually cycle the slide to shoot again.

The gun is new, but I thoroughly cleaned it. Still same issue. Then I noticed the shells are deformed when they pop out. I know that's bad, but I'm not smart enough to diagnose it.

Take a look... the top of the shell is totally bulged out.

What do you think this means?

Should I take it back to NW Armory or contact Sig directly?

20130214_130019_zps35561bf6.jpg

What ammo were you shooting? Did you try another type at all? To be honest I have 0 idea of whats going on or even if that weapon is safe to shoot, but if you can and have not already, try another type of ammo.

wrong ammo or wrong barrel by chance? the 229 comes in 9m and .40 S&W and .40 is about 1 mm larger than 9mm and then end of that casing looks expanded by about 1 mm. Could it be a 40 barrel and you put a 9mm round in it?

It is hard to be sure from your pic, but it looks like a 9mm round fired out of a .40 caliber barrel.

Sig has the caliber stamped on the barrel, did you check?

Do not fire your handgun again, untill you get this issue sorted out!

Take the handgun and fired cases back to NW Armory, to start with and go from there.

Most likely, NW Armory will tell you to send the Sig Sauer back to the factory, for inspection/repair.

Sig Sauer has excellent customer service and will even pay the postage both ways.

Your case looks something like this.
Shooting 9mm ammo through a .40 caliber Glock - YouTube

What caliber is stamped on the barrel?

IMO, if this was a gross mistake by either NW Armory OR Sig I'm NOT going to want to be waiting for any amount of time to be sending anything anywhere. Somebody needs to make it good, right now!

If the OP didn't notice it had 40 S&W stamped on the barrel, then DUH

Okay... confession time.

Sure enough the gun is a .40 cal. I went in to buy a 9mm and thought that's what I was buying. In my haste I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. I even bought 9mm ammo at the same time. LOL.

Indeed the receipt, box, and slide all say .40... so Sig and NW Armory are fine. Just end user error on my part. I feel so stupid.

But I'm okay with the .40. Don't much care what caliber it is... as long as I remember to feed it the right food. I'm not new to this; been shooting for almost 10 years and never made this mistake. I feel really stupid...

Thanks for helping me figure things out.

My friend had the same problem one day. He was shooting to the left of me and was cussing the 92 Taurus clone for not cycling. On the third
round he shot I picked up a piece of his brass. It was stamped .380. Just not enough power to cycle that 9mm.

I was at an intro to hand gunning class with my wife when one of the instructors mistook .380 for 9mm...it happens. Surprised the gun store sold you 9mm ammo with a .40 pistol...Guess they figured you were like most people that just buy any 9mm ammo they see these days

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top