Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help picking first bow

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by 240kph, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 240kph

240kph Grants Pass, OR Member

Hey,

I was reading the other thread on archery and watching a TV show about it, which brought me to the conclusion I want to try out the sport. I'm definitely leaning towards a recurve/long bow style. I don't really know much besides that. What size/strength of bows should I be looking at? I'm 6'5" with a wingspan of 6.5" and pretty strong. Also, are there any brands to avoid? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

2. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

3. 240kph

$$$$$$$$

Plus I'm pretty sure I want to try a recurve.

Thanks,
    Steve

4. coctailer

Those are recurve:laugh:

You got me thinking about it now also.

I've seen used Oneida Strike Eagles for $175.
    Also there is a free archery range in the West Hills of Portland above Washington Park.

5. 240kph

Seriously though,

looked like a compound bow at first glance. I only took a first glance after seeing the price. Maybe it's too expensive a hobby.

-Steve

6. coctailer

I don't know anything about bows, but I would like to thank you for this thread.
    I am now looking for a couple bows for my son and I. I think that would be a great father/son activity.

There should be some on-line forums dedicated to the recurve longbow that would give you the info you are looking for.

7. s_ribs

s_ribs Tigard, OR Member

I know where you could get a nice inexpensive used one for you. ;)

I used to love taking my dad out to shoot bows back in high school. Yes, I took him out shooting.

8. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

There should be an indoor range close to you that will let you try a few out, or at least rent a few.
    Not that close to you, but Curt has always been great. He is open evenings from 4pm to about 7pm
    Curt's Archery
    1078 S Calapooia St, Sutherlin, OR 97479
    (541) 459-9127

On the Onida bows, I have not shot a newer one, but the first Eagle bows were LOUD.

9. flhroy

flhroy East Slope of the coast range New Member

I've been away from bows for more years then i would like to admit but I'm pretty sure that the bow in the link is a compound bow. Pulleys I think will only be found on compound bows. Also a recurve and a long bow are two different types also. When i used to shoot bows back in the 60's i was using a 54# 'Bear' recurve. it was pretty much state of the art at the time and the cost was reasonable. I mean I was able to afford it while in high school flipping 17 cent hamburgers at the 'icky mickeys'.
    Hey they're still making them. Bear bows that is not 17 cent hamburgers.

Check this link out

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/traditional

Here are some starter long bows

http://www.21stcenturylongbow.com/Longbow_models.htm

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. Yester

Yester Troutdale Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is also a free archery range off Marine Drive really close to Interlachen Lane....

11. varmiter

varmiter orchards wa. Member

There is a archery shop in hazel dell on highway 99 that does only long and recurve bows.I will give you the name and addresse as soon as I find it.