JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey,

I was reading the other thread on archery and watching a TV show about it, which brought me to the conclusion I want to try out the sport. I'm definitely leaning towards a recurve/long bow style. I don't really know much besides that. What size/strength of bows should I be looking at? I'm 6'5" with a wingspan of 6.5" and pretty strong. Also, are there any brands to avoid? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

I don't know anything about bows, but I would like to thank you for this thread.
I am now looking for a couple bows for my son and I. I think that would be a great father/son activity.

There should be some on-line forums dedicated to the recurve longbow that would give you the info you are looking for.

I know where you could get a nice inexpensive used one for you. ;)

I used to love taking my dad out to shoot bows back in high school. Yes, I took him out shooting.

There should be an indoor range close to you that will let you try a few out, or at least rent a few.
Not that close to you, but Curt has always been great. He is open evenings from 4pm to about 7pm
Curt's Archery
1078 S Calapooia St, Sutherlin, OR 97479
(541) 459-9127

On the Onida bows, I have not shot a newer one, but the first Eagle bows were LOUD.

I've been away from bows for more years then i would like to admit but I'm pretty sure that the bow in the link is a compound bow. Pulleys I think will only be found on compound bows. Also a recurve and a long bow are two different types also. When i used to shoot bows back in the 60's i was using a 54# 'Bear' recurve. it was pretty much state of the art at the time and the cost was reasonable. I mean I was able to afford it while in high school flipping 17 cent hamburgers at the 'icky mickeys'.
Hey they're still making them. Bear bows that is not 17 cent hamburgers.

Check this link out

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/traditional

Here are some starter long bows

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR