Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Help on spicing up my mini 14

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by dirtysteve, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dirtysteve

dirtysteve Lincoln City, OR Member

I need some help on my mini. This one is probably from the 80's so its not a new model. It has a broken gas block so it has been sitting for a couple of years and it doesnt get much action. What Im wanting to do is make a target shooter out of it without braking the bank. I want to put a new adjustable gas block and a new barrel on it for accuracy. The reason for adjustable gas block is you would have to send the rifle in otherwise and I want to be able to fit it with the newer barrel. Ive been looking at some sites for these things but I dont know much about accuracy in barrels and such (length, size, and twist). Im also going to throw a houge stock on for good feel and looks. This thing will have a scope and a bipod and thats pretty much it. Any help would be much appreciated. As for you AR lovers who want to use this thread to bash the mini, please dont. I have a Bushmaster and I love it! I just want to give this old girl a new set of shoes and get her on the dance floor too. Heres a link to the place I was looking at for parts. Thanks for the help.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

I like the fluted barrel with the satin grey finish-11th pic down

2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

DS,
    Logon to Perfect Union.com and look at the Mini 14 section there. There is a wealth of info there. Check it out BEFORE you order parts. My mini was very inaccurate, 8" groups at 100 yards. Now it's sub MOA with the mods I made.

3. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

4. dirtysteve

dirtysteve Lincoln City, OR Member

perfectunion is a good site :buttrock: