JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The biggest question I have is what would I need in my first aid kit for a gun shot wound? We all talk about needing some sort of weapon, like a 9mm for SHTF type of scenario, but we will not be the only one with a weapon and so doing someone is going to get shot. What do I need to be prepared?
I do understand hospital, but what happens when hospitals dont work or are too full. I am not trying to operate or play doctor, but looking at graze shot or shallow penetration type wound. Types of wounds that are not life threatening.

I am not in the medical field but have taken several college level first aid courses with certification. I am sure experts will chime in but I recommend you do the same.. take a serious course at your local community college, etc. Here are the bare basic supplies you can start gathering

1) Celox blood stopper crystals, Amazon carried them last I saw. This is not a cure, it is emergency treatment to stop hemmoraging. if you can find it get the kit with the "syringe" for injection

2) 100 MPH tape or medical tape

3) Cotex pads.. they are your best cheap bet for tramua bandages/pressure wound treatment

4) Rubbing alcohol

5) Shaving razor and some shave gel so the tape can stick to haired areas without further pain when removed

6) Surgical rubber tubing for a tourniquet, plus a stick for winding it up. You MUST get training in this technique as you can do harm as well as save lives this way

There is a LOT more to treating such wounds in situations where help is far away, but you only asked about first aid. Hope that helps. The above are in a more extensive medical kit in all our vehicles and in a bathroom at home. When walking or running (etc) I have the 100 MPH tape and a cotex in my vest, along with a Leatherman tool with a razor sharp blade

We have one of these in the cabinet at the range:

<broken link removed>

Neat little kit--has step by step laminated instructions plus a DVD.

Hope we never have to use it!

In my personal kit (large trauma kit) I have 2 Israeli Battle Dressings and 2 Quick Clot dressings. I also carry regular 4x4s, 8x10s, 4 trauma dressings (10x30), roller gauze, compresses, and triangular bandages. That will cover most any wound you could encounter that's survivable.

My backpacking kit has 1 IBD, 1 QuickClot Combat Gauze, 4 4x4, 4 roller gauze, 4 triangular bandages, duct tape, and some other minor items like bandaids.

In my professional kit we don't even have Quickclot, Celox, or Battle dressings. We only carry gauze pads (4x4, 8x10, and 10x30) and roller gauze. I've seen some very horrific wounds (including multiple gunshots and limbs ripped away) and have been able to rapidly control the bleeding with normal first aid methods and materials.

Just keep adding layers and maintain direct pressure, elevation, and a pressure point.

ONLY if absolutely necessary apply a tourniquet. I've never seen a situation in which a tourniquet was needed. My thought is that perhaps only someone with a bleeding disorder like hemophilia would need one.

Packing the wound is a risky maneuver as contaminants will be pushed deeper. That will lead to infection without advanced care. Additionally, I've read of burns from the heat generated by the Celox powder. I believe that's why they're only in gauze form now (at least for the general public). I took a Tactical EMS course from a retired Special Forces Medic and only as a last resort did he suggest packing the wound with sterile roller gauze.

As Blitzkrieg mentioned I'd take a good first aid class. Something geared towards the wilderness rather than a general first aid course if you can find one. A good wilderness class will lend itself well to improvisation and minimalist gear and not be so reliant upon calling 911.

Good Luck!

I'm not an EMT, nor a Medic, but was trained as a "Combat Life-Saver" for each of four down-range trips since 2006.
(The guy in the rifle squad who kills bad guys along with everyone else. Then when the shooting stops, tends to the wounded until the medic can get there.)

We were taught that MOST battlefield deaths that were survivable were caused by bleeding limb-wounds. It was emphasized to us to slap on a tourniquet and get the bleeding stopped FIRST. A severed artery can cause you to bleed out in less than a minute. Limbs with tourniquets can be saved for up to about six hours after tourniquet application.

This is why we carry at least one CAT (Combat-Action Tourniquet) in our IFAK, and most carry at least two. I also have one on the front of my vest which I can access with either hand.

Cheers!

The Israeli Kits have been recalled due to Migration of the Clotting Factor. Only qualified Personnel Should be using these..With that said, I would recommend the following:
1). 3-5 TAMPONS....Great way to patch a hole...No Joking
2). Kotex..For the exit wound
3). Disposable Diapers...For the bigger exit wound
4), Hydrogen Peroxide or Sterile water For Irrigation(before putting on the Dressing).
5). Tape..But not 100MPH tape. It is a bubblegum to get off skin, and leaves a residue. Go with a good Wide sterile tape.
6). Army Field dressings...Best choice all together. Wrapper can be used to patch a sucking chest wound, and are field proven for over 100 Years...
7). Two Books...A Bible(Torah, Koran) for administering last rites, and a Copy of The Special Forces First Aid Manual. Lets Face it We were the best Trained and People die from Gunshot wounds. If You are a rookie, prepare Yourself.
8). Warm cover to help Control shock..ie Space Blanket, Wool Blanket, Poncho Liner...More People Die of shock than from the actual Gunshot wound...
Scrap The razor/shaving the skin theory. Takes time and puts more contaminants into the wound channel. Your job is to stop the bleeding and control shock..Not get them ready for the prom. A person can bleed out in the time it takes to worry about body hair. That pain is the least of Your worries...Be ready to re assure the wounded and get them to a safe area. Obviously if they are shot..It ain't a safe place. Get them to a higher echelon of medical care as soon as possible. Visible wounds are not Your only worry..The wound channel is much bigger on the inside than it is on the outside....

I could go on For Hours, but I need to start dinner. Take a reputable First Aid class and talk to EMT's they are Your best source for wound care. PM Me and maybe we can set something up for some advanced training....22 Year 18D and PA....Warrior Spirit...

Tampons, yes, have those in all our kits too. Dern foggy brain. We have the smallest ones you can buy, minis

Hydrogen peroxide, check, lots of it in stock.. has been a godsend in my life and in food grade can even be taken internally..but never heard of it for first aid of a gunshot.. was just trying to help first responders..

The shaving was meant not for the wound but the hair where you will apply the tape.. if you were as hairy as me you might agree :s0114:

Pressure first, I totally agree

Yeah...Seriously. Was a Medical NCO on an ODA for 19 Years. When You have to plug a bloody hole quick......It ain't about pretty Jr...It's about controlling the bleeding and stabilizing the Casualty for Med Evac....

Next decision You make is vital for survival...Don't even get Me started on Field Surgery....

First disclaimer, I have no interest in the product, I just have met the inventor and this plus what coming to the market specifically for bullet wounds is friggin amazing, I was told its in NATO medic bags now.

From the Hem Con website:
"As the Primary Instructor for Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) course, I personally have trained over 1000 Special Operations soldiers/sailors/airmen on the HemCon dressing before they go over seas in the last 12 months. They all were very impressed and excited on how well it worked on the severe bleeding models that we showed them. In my opinion it is head and shoulders above the gauze we carried to stop bleeding, in fact there is no comparison. Every soldier should have this dressing in their kit when ever they go in harms way. It is simple to use and simple to apply and from the After Action Reviews I have read and the paper LTC (Dr) John McM**** has written on its extensive use on the battlefield it has more than proven it's self as a Life Saver."
NCOIC, Tactical Combat Casualty Care

I do plan on taking several first aid classes, wife and I are scheduled right now for a baby cpr and baby emergency class, (she is due in Nov.) After that I plan on taking several first aid type classes as well as survival classes. Thanks for all the information. I am just adjusting my emergency, BOB, 72 hour kit stuff since we have a new addition coming.

I do plan on taking several first aid classes, wife and I are scheduled right now for a baby cpr and baby emergency class, (she is due in Nov.) After that I plan on taking several first aid type classes as well as survival classes. Thanks for all the information. I am just adjusting my emergency, BOB, 72 hour kit stuff since we have a new addition coming.

if you allready have the stuff mentioned above then all you will probably need to add would be formula and bottle liners even if youre wife plans to breast feed stress can cause her to stop lactating.... just watch the exp date on the formula ... carry premixed and powder the powder you can put several cans of the same lot in a gallon size zip lock bag just write the exp date on it.. the pre mix is so you dont have to carry extra water till you find a good source... i wouldnt worry about baby food when the lil one gets bigger it will be able to eat whatever you do as long as you mash it up....... trust me we have 7 kids

Mohawk13: "The Israeli Kits have been recalled due to Migration of the Clotting Factor. Only qualified Personnel Should be using these.."
What "Israeli Kits" are those?
I was intitially trained (2006) by an SF 18D at Ft Bragg. He had LOTS of great tips! At that time they were issuing Quick Clot powder (got trained in that by the Brits, whom I worked with in Lashkar Gah for a while - it's what they had at the time).
2008, Chitosan packs replaced the Quick Clot powder.
2010, Quick Clot Gauze replaced the chitosan, and was still in use when I left there last year (July). I recently saw the stuff for sale at Wholesale Sports.
The only "Israeli" item that I know of is the pressure dressing - one included in every soldier's IFAK since I started going down range.
I appreciate your input: Lots of good info.
Disclaimer again: I am no medic/EMT; just numerous iterations of Combat Lifesaving Course 2006-2010, from disparate trainers at Ft Bragg, Ft Dix, Camp Atterbury, and down range.

Mike.
Israeli Kits in the IFAK were recalled due to migration in the clotting factor. Also they were building up excessive heat when applied. They have come out with a new one. Any dated Pre Nov 2010 should be disposed of......Not a "Goat Lab Grad"?....Hmmm..Working For "Z" or the "3C"? Thought I had run into You in Kabul...You Must have an Evil Twin....

Ok I am a real newbie regarding first aid stuff but the one thing not mentioned here that I have read is critical is a pair of "shears", "safety scissors" or whatever they call em to cut back clothing???....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top