Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

help ? new shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by rusobr2, Aug 20, 2009.

1. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

hi fellas & ladies!! just picked up my( win 97 12ga) today,this shotgun is new to me but it is not (new) it is the replacement of one that was stollen a few years ago.it was over 50 yrs old when grandpa give it to me and that was in 1960 it is 2 3/4 only, i have m/s and i need a shell that is going to be easy on my hands,not worried about my shoulder, as in the past few years i have had to learn how to use my shoulders better, mostly just (fun) shooting clays with my son,and grandson,mite even try some bird over by BURNS,a couple pointers would help,thanks ,rusobr2 (steven r)

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

Any 2-3/4" #8 bird shot should be fine. It's a shoulder fired gun so very little recoil should go through your hands. Pull it in tight against your shoulder and you will be fine.

PS: That is one **** of a long run on sentence, periods are your friend.

3. rusobr2

stmcelroy, thanks for the tip. my son and i are going to do a little skeet this weekend,and i'll give it a try,thanks,steven

4. jack1122

jack1122 Tillamook County Member

Try a 1 oz or 7/8 oz of shot load. If you look you can find some reduced recoil shells out there. #8 shot shot size doesn't make a gun kick harder it's the ounces of shot that make a gun kick. Good Luck

Jack

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

If you have any friends that reload shotshell, the Lyman Shotshell handbook has some great 12 ga. reduced recoil loads both 7/8 and 1 oz.

6. bwells

bwells Longview Member

7. Huntbear

Huntbear Ellensburg, Wa. Member

Tell that to a woman, :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Buckley, WA New Member

Most field and Clay loads have a "Dram EQ" listed on the box.
    a dram weighs 27.344 grains and refers to Black Powder rather than Gun Powder for comparison. A 2 1/2 Dram EQ shell has 16% less energy than a 3 dram EQ shell.

Felt recoil is affected by this value.

Lighter loads (7/8 oz) and Recoil reducing Pads will also help.

Listen to Cougfan 2.

9. rusobr2

this is what i'm talking about!! now if i just email this entire thread to my wife, i should end up with about 10 boxes of shells, give or take a few, i had no idea that all this made that much difference,i'm going to bi mart in the morning ,then off to the OCHOCO'S for some skeet pie,thanks fella's i do appreciate everything,rusobr2(STEVEN)