JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a U.S. Springfield Armory Model 1903 bolt action rifle Serial Number 1284830. It is what I think is "sporterized" with walnut stock w/cheekpiece, with ebony forend and finger grooves in the stock with "Bishop" on the butt plate, Redfield Rear peep sight and Lyman Front Sight. Two sets of three dots are punched into the steel barrel and and there is a cut "slash" also cut into the barrel just in front of the receiver by the serial number. Any ideas on value? Age-1927? Who might have done this?

BTW no caliber marking but may be 30-06?

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

The year of manufacture for serial number 1284830 is 1927.

All rifles recalled and rechambered for .30 caliber in 1906.

Improved heat treatment started at 800,000.

Introduction of nickel steel started at 1275767.

Model 1903A1 rifles were made after 1929 with a full pistol grip type C stock, but were otherwise the same as earlier Model 1903 Rifles and marked Model 1903.

About 25,000 National Match rifles were scattered throughout production from about 1920 to 1940, and many can be documented by serial number to their original purchaser by payment of a fee to Springfield Research Service, Silver Spring MD.

Now, if you remove the action from the stock, often times the gunsmith will have stamped his initials and date somewhere on the action or stock.

I would definitely have a chamber casting done if there are any questions about caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top