JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm helping my mom sort an estate that was donated to the local senior center. In the pile (and I do mean pile) I found what I believe to be a bamboo fly rod with two different tip sections (different weights) The guy made his own poles that was obvious. I don't know if he made this one or it has just lost its decal.

At any rate I am looking for advise on how to carefully clean the thing and how to judge if it is in good enough condition to use.

Does anyone here travel in such circles or do you know of a good forum to seek advise. The pole is NOT FOR SALE NOR WILL IT BE.

Any help or direction greatly appreciated.

I'll be adding photos to this thread in the morning I want to use natural light.

To really figure out what you have, a visit to custom fly fishing shop is more then likely.
There are a lot of custom rods out there. Some are really valuable.
The nicest ones I have seen were always stored in a custom hard case.

This one had an aluminum hard case. But the place was a mess Some nephew got in before anyone thought to seal up the place and took what he wanted. This was in a pile on workbench in a back room it all looked like most places my mom does estate sales at a big mess. Many people in their last years tend to not take care of the details.

I have tracked down a reputable fly shop locally and will pack it down there to ask advise.

Just as a side note all of the bamboo that is used in the making of the fly rods, comes from a small area in Northern Viet Nam.
During the war, the supply of this special bamboo dried up and very few fly rods were made during this time frame.

I think I had heard that once before. My dad had a Spin casting pole made from a Fenwick bamboo blank but I think he did that either in high school or shortly thereafter which would have been late 50's

Maybe this forum would have some answers.classicflyrodforum/

Did he have tools associated with the building of cane rods? I have a friend that is very interested in this as a hobby, I'm sure he would be interested in an estate sale that had such items.

There was a simple home made lathe for wrapping and a handful of various threads and a few pieces of cork. It appears that the rod building hobby had become inactive quite some time ago. Everything was a jumbled mess and dirty. It is also obvious that who ever liberated the firearms from then house also made off with a LOT of fishing gear. That I saw there were no tackle boxes no modern reels. So there won't be much of anything at the estate sale accept 4-5 misc bait casting, fiberglass fly poles and a solid surf pole. All in barn condition if you get my meaning.

Here are some photos of the Rod I took this morning

FlyRod1_zps127a3bcc.jpg

FlyRod1wrapdetail_zpse2532e42.jpg

FlyRod2_zps831dc887.jpg

FlyRod2paintdetail_zpse5cebb0a.jpg

FlyRod3_zpsf89d5fcc.jpg

FlyRod2wrapdetail_zps67aed7a9.jpg

FlyRod4_zps209c7d04.jpg

FlyRod5_zpsf569eea6.jpg

FlyRod6_zpsb4eea598.jpg

FlyRod7heavytip_zps21edad2c.jpg

FlyRod7heavytip2_zps86e32374.jpg

FlyRod7heavytip3_zps86541303.jpg

FlyRod8lighttip1_zpsdfb674c3.jpg

FlyRod8lighttip2_zps787efde2.jpg

FlyRod8lighttip3_zps38f79010.jpg

When my parents bought their vacation house we found 3 or 4 bamboo fly rods in there. I got a cheap small leather strop and some compound to polish all the metal on it and used a 10,000 grit whetstone to clean up the wood. They hadn't been touched since the lady's husband died and he died 20 years ago so there was a lot of grime on them.

Can you get a few more pictures of the reel seat? Any markings, or brand name you can make out? Looks like an early nickle played Strubel, A higher end reel seat may help determine overall value! Always love a good Bamboo skinny rod, they just feel right when casting, a much slower and relaxed experience! Unless the bamboo has really dried out, it should be perfectly capable of casting and even fishing! :)

Can't say as to the quality or value but it's a combo rod. It has a fly tip and a bait casting tip. Also the handle should flip around, if you look at the first two pics you can see a ferule type fit of the rod to handle. There will be a hole in the other end of the handle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top