JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which gun for his first CCW?

• G43X

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • G43

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Canik MC9

• S&W Shield 2.0

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Sig P320

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Taurus GX4

• PSA Dagger/G19 Clone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hellcat

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Sig P365

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Ruger LCP Max9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The smaller single-ish stack sub compacts sure are nice to carry and they conceal well. But they also usually have shorter sight radiuses which can effect accuracy, lower capacity, greater perceived recoil, and you often can't get your whole hand on the grip...unless you go to an extended grip...which then makes the grip roughly the same size as a Glock 19 anyway. Note that most people don't have a problem concealing the barrel/slide. It's the grip that usually gives people problems.

Give careful consideration if one of these smaller guns is a gun you would actually want to fight with and bet your life on. And maybe it is. But many folks' assessment of these guns begins and end with, "they're sure nice to carry." Many don't think through the limitations of these guns. Also note that most people can easily carry a Glock 19 sized gun with the right holster and belt.

Lastly, make absolutely sure you rent and try the exact gun you're thinking of getting. Many of the smaller guns can be downright unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. You'll also sort out more in 30 minutes on the range than anything any of us can tell you here. Plus it will be fun.

Godspeed.

I have shot the 43x, p320, shield, and not from your list but I carry a p365X.
I've shot the p365 and found it to be snappy on my hands, but the XL grip turns it into a whole different pistol. Like @bpyycpyy said, the modularity you have with a p365/p320
Is incredible. It can be your carry piece but with a quick swap you can turn it into a full on competition gun. I would say, tell him to try a p365x but if that is out of the equation, get a p320 or a 43x.

I'd vote for some things not on the list:
- Sig P365
- Ruger Max 9

10rd capacity, compact size, easy to carry every day. The bigger the gun, the less likely you'll have it on you when you need it.

That's a subcompact, I prefer a full-size..

main-qimg-a75184010da7846a627d25a319809835-lq.jpg

As always when this question comes up the "best" choice is a range with rentals. People who buy a gun because they "heard" it would work for them are rolling the dice. What works for one may not work well for another. Big downside to this with guns is if someone buys one they end up not liking it can be a hassle to sell it now if they don't want to take big hit money wise. FAR cheaper to rent some till you find one you know you like.

I voted 43X but it could be he likes G43 better if he's a smaller person.
In any event, he needs to go to a range that rents and do a tryout.
Buying based on the "gunshop fondle" is risky.

I'd vote for some things not on the list:
- Sig P365

10rd capacity, compact size, easy to carry every day.
Plus Magguts has a magazine kit (spring, follower & baseplate) that adds 2 rounds to the standard amount. 10 becomes 12 & 12 becomes 14 with only a fraction added to magazine length. I second adding the XL frame. It makes the 12 round magazine flush fit and a nicer grip without the magazine pinky extension. I purchased my SIG factory XL grip module for only $40.
Photos showing the 2 different grip modules (aftermarket magazine baseplate on the 10 rounder on left). It takes less than a minute to change grip modules.

78ED964C-AF39-4A08-A0C2-F86C32D9689F.jpeg 38F0DF9F-AB2D-4FB0-8B63-0BFE425C5947.jpeg

Another vote for the Sig P365 lineup…. With a couple of reloads weak side, you have an easy to conceal package sporting some 37 rounds and the weight is unobtrusive…. I've found the P365 to be quite accurate and no punishing recoil, making range days more fun.

3F454951-BA93-4C9D-9CB2-FC8DCFB81546.jpeg

Hellcat is what I have but recently picked up a Ruger LCP Max for even deeper concealment. Shot that one recently and really liked it, very reliable with what I ran it through. I've never been a Glock guy due to grip angle but they are as reliable as all of my Springfields.

Full frame guns are the best for fighting.

With that being said they are also the best for concealed carry. It's fairly easy to conceal a full size gun. Personally I don't short change myself and sacrifice size, capacity, accuracy, etc. for comfort.

I find comfort knowing I have the tools I need.

I'll take a 13 round pocket pistol and feel safe most days personally. And if for some reason I feel I need more 14 rounds in a subcompact 9mm is reassuring but way less comfortable to wear iwb.

I'll take a 13 round pocket pistol and feel safe most days personally. And if for some reason I feel I need more 14 rounds in a subcompact 9mm is reassuring but way less comfortable to wear iwb.
I carry 56 rounds on me daily…..

Carry 47 rounds of Federal 147 gr HST, when the P365 is on board.
Smart man. In the world today and the type of crimes that are occurring I am not comfortable with just 10-15 rounds.

But that's just me personally.

The problem with carrying a full size is that most won't. Find something you're comfortable with, that you don't mind carrying around.
For me personally, I'm probably not going to have more than my pocket knife and my (considerable) wits if it's full size or nothing. If I have to be uncomfortable every day anyway, go ahead and shoot me.
Have something you'll actually carry.

The problem with carrying a full size is that most won't. Find something you're comfortable with, that you don't mind carrying around.
For me personally, I'm probably not going to have more than my pocket knife and my (considerable) wits if it's full size or nothing. If I have to be uncomfortable every day anyway, go ahead and shoot me.
I don't buy into the belief that something's better than nothing.

With that said it's America and we are all free to make our own choices.

YEP. More power to those who will carry something "better" but few will. In my experience these are the exception rather than the rule. I well remember when I turned old enough to carry there was only a handful of guns made for those of us who wanted to carry if we did not want to use a full size. All the great smaller, lighter, and often higher capacity we have to choose from now? It is great. As always my hard and fast rule of life, any gun beats no gun when you find out you need a gun.

In all my years alive I've never been in a situation I've ever needed 3 magazines on me. Never been in a gun fight and probably never will. But I have had situation where I was just glad to have a pistol vs my pocket knife, especially out here in Oregon.

Even when I lived in Rockford, IL, look it up its a crap hole, I've never had a situation where I was like "man I need a bigger pistol and several magazines."

But I understand the "its better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it" philosophy. Just I doubt I'll ever need it.

In all my years alive I've never been in a situation I've ever need 3 magazines. Never been in a gun fight and probably never will. But I have had situation where I was just glad to have a pistol vs my pocket knife, especially out here in Oregon.

Even when I lived in Rockford, IL, look it up its a crap hole, I've never had a situation where I was like "man I need a bigger pistol and several magazines."

But I understand the "its better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it." Just I doubt I'll ever need it" philosophy.I
If carrying a semi-auto I think 1 spare mag should always be carried in case of malfunction or loss of the primary magazine. Generally I'm good with just carrying the one, but if I know I'm going downtown or through a sketchy area, I prefer to have a second mag on me. In terms of daily carry I'd rather have a proper tourniquet (CAT, SOF-T, etc) to supplement my EDC trauma kit than a second spare mag.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top