JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's up with 22 rifles going into the $1000 plus market these days?

Is it a club restriction on ammo or distances?

Are we so restricted in states that 22 is now the only option?

I freaking love 22lr, but I simply do not understand how there are 22lr rifles that cost more than their high end center fire counterparts!

Do these high end guns make bulk ammo shoot sub minute?

Is it just gun guys with too much money wanting a Rimfire version of their centerfire gun?

I know some here own a Vuduu or similar, so I'm hoping one of them might chime in.

For reference, this has an msrp of $1100.

1576689238015.jpeg

This action alone with no stock is $1700

1576689310421.jpeg

Meanwhile, this newly released Ruger is only $600 msrp.

1576689391163.jpeg

What am I missing?

IMHO What you are missing is the fact that today; some people have a great deal of extra money and that's what tends to drive prices through the limits. The year I graduated, a Colt Python cost $125. and a Smith and Wesson Model 19 was $100. and dealers couldn't keep the Smith and Wessons in stock while the Colts just say there.

I guess that you are talking about utility-style, outdoorsy guns, like those you have illustrated. Be advised that in the world of Olympic .22 competition rifles, your thousand dollars MIGHT just get you the sights, but not even a quarter of the rifle. Take a look at a typical Bleiker competition rifle, for around $7000 WITHOUT sights, or just buy the Gemini-style stocks for around $1800...

I guess that you are talking about utility-style, outdoorsy guns, like those you have illustrated. Be advised that in the world of Olympic .22 competition rifles, your thousand dollars MIGHT just get you the sights, but not even a quarter of the rifle. Take a look at a typical Bleiker competition rifle, for around $7000 WITHOUT sights, or just buy the Gemini-style stocks for around $1800...
I understand the Olympic style guns, however those are not exactly marketed to everyday shooters. Most of those are sought out by olympians for competition reasons only. I wouldn't put those in the same classification as this new wave of expensive bolt action 22lrs we have been seeing in the states.

As with all things guns - it's probably the cost of fit and finish by hand. Machining and mass production have brought prices down for those weapons that are simply machined and then slapped together. But if the weapon is further assembled or cleaned up by hand, then you're going to pay for every minute put into it.

I'd imagine the Vudoo rifle has more by-hand fitting than the Ruger.

Still, there's only so accurate that a .22lr can be. Personally, I've got about a grand tied up into a 10/22 with plans on another one being in the ~$500 range. But, I like breaking them down and reassembling with the parts that I want on 'em and consider it more of a hobby investment than an investment in the gun itself (Hey, I could go golf at $50-80/round 4x this month or I could go buy firearm parts...).

The chambering of a firearm has little to do with the cost of the firearm.

A quality firearm may shoot crap ammo better than a run of the mill firearm, but it can't make it match grade. People that buy expensive target grade guns are also buying quality ammo

I posed a similar question before about how much people would pay for accuracy. You might get a 1 moa rifle for $300 but a 1/2 moa rifle might set you back $1000+ . Is a half moa worth $700? Not to me but my skills wouldn't begin to take advantage of the 1/2 moa difference at the ranges I shoot at.
I am glad somebody is spending their money on these gucci rimfires, it helps keep the economy humming.

It costs the same to produce a quality .22 rimfire rifle as it does a quality center fire.

I understand folks not being interested in target accuracy, but for those of us that are, we truly get what we pay for.

.22 LR gets a bad rap for being not more than a novelty, and meant for kids. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I absolutely crave shooting long strings of rimfire, striving for the tiniest little group possible. And there are many world-class shooting games designed around the rimfire.

A quality target rifle will shoot run of the mill bulk ammo better than a cheap sporter, but to extract the ultimate accuracy from such a rifle, high-dollar target ammo is necessary, makes a huge difference, and shrinks groups considerably.

Again, if you're happy spraying and praying with your AR, AK, Glock, whatever, that's great. I like that too. Some of us have added and/or different interests.

Last Edited:
Again, if you're happy spraying and praying with your AR, AK, Glock, whatever, that's great. I like that too. Some of us have added and/or different interests.

Huh. "Spraying and praying" with my AR's and Glocks eh? Wanna go shooting sometime? ;)

it was simply an example of just one of many different shooting interests, disciplines, and expectations.

You've made it clear you have no interest whatsoever in rimfires. Some of us do.:cool:

Last Edited:
It costs the same to produce a quality .22 rimfire rifle as it does a quality center fire.

I understand folks not being interested in target accuracy, but for those of us that are, we truly get what we pay for.

.22 LR gets a bad rap for being not more than a novelty, and meant for kids. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I absolutely crave shooting long strings of rimfire, striving for the tiniest little group possible. And there are many world-class shooting games designed around the rimfire.

A quality target rifle will shoot run of the mill bulk ammo better than a cheap sporter, but to extract the ultimate accuracy from such a rifle, high-dollar target ammo is necessary, makes a huge difference, and shrinks groups considerably.

Well said.
The gun costs because craftsmanship is expensive and people want the best they can get for their money. If you want the best, expect to pay for it.

Quality target grade 22's have always been much more than regular .22's. Back in the early 80's I was shooting reduced silhouettes with a lowly Remington 581-S. Most of the really good shots were useing Anscutz, Kimber Americas, or Remington 541-T's all even back then were over a grand with out scopes or sights. A set of match grade peep sights could cost close to $500.00 and a scope could cost as much as the rifle it's self.

it was simply an example of just one of many different shooting interests, disciplines, and expectations.

You've made it clear you have no interest whatsoever in rimfires. Some of us do.:cool:

I actually own a pretty nice 10/22. And my interest in rimfires is quite alive believe me. I just prefer WMR or HMR.

But since the general population has come to the conclusion that I dislike rimfire, my job here is complete.

:s0140:

I guess I just need to get together with someone that has one, then shoot it back to back with my Ruger and see if it truly can do better. Maybe I'll be converted.

I guess I just need to get together with someone that has one, then shoot it back to back with my Ruger and see if it truly can do better. Maybe I'll be converted.

I've got well over $1k into my Bergara in 6.5CM. You are welcome to try it out anytime brother. :D

I've got well over $1k into my Bergara in 6.5CM. You are welcome to try it out anytime brother. :D
If I had something to compare it to that would be a worthy trip to the range. I'd like to see something like that up against say an budget 6.5 Ruger American.

That's a completely different thing though.

I guess I'm struggling to understand the market for a refined 22lr bolt gun when the good Ammo will shoot good in any 22lr bolt action. Unless it's simply a finer rifle overall type thing. As not much is superior in accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top