JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This weekend I was getting some quality time with my AR-15. Things were going relatively well until I got to the 200 yard line.

Shooting in a supported position I was doing ok.

Shooting while standing I was getting a bigger group (but still grouping) but it was 6-8" to the right of center.

Can y'all give me some pointers to correct my technique? Thanks.

Weapon:
Oly AR-15 16" 1:9
Ammo:
Wolf 55gr
Eyes:
Astigmatism in right eye, corrected with glasses

This weekend I was getting some quality time with my AR-15. Things were going relatively well until I got to the 200 yard line.

Shooting in a supported position I was doing ok.

Shooting while standing I was getting a bigger group (but still grouping) but it was 6-8" to the right of center.

Can y'all give me some pointers to correct my technique? Thanks.

Weapon:
Oly AR-15 16" 1:9
Ammo:
Wolf 55gr
Eyes:
Astigmatism in right eye, corrected with glasses

Well not being a shooting instructor i would have to watch you shoot.

Was there any wind that day?

There was negligible wind.
I haven't used a scope much for my AR, so I've shot mostly with irons.

I could try different ammo this weekend and see what happens, but I'd still like some techniques help for freestanding shooting.

I ditched the stock 8lb trigger for a timney 3lb and my shooting was twice as good. I think alot of it will come down to trigger pull and experience. I am not an instructor so I dont have alot of advice.

If you are unsupported, without a sling you will naturally shoot to the right if you are right handed. Look at your stance...as the rifle recoils your right shoulder is back, as is your right foot...recoil turns your body in the right [or open position]. Are you knees almost locked? Try a more athletic stance with a wider distance between your legs, just a little will make a difference, and make sure there is flex in your knees. Now lean forward with more weight on your left or forward leg.this will allow your lower body to absorb the recoil...more stable. Then look up the proper sling hold for standing fire. A stiff sling works best. Good shooting, Gary

My son who qualified expert right out of the box at NG boot camp swears by balancing a coin flat on the end of the barrel and practicing dry firing until you don't drop the coin. Just hold target and squeeze and let the firing surprise you. He swears by it for both rifle and pistol, and he qualified expert with both.

If your gun isn't recommended for dry firing, you can buy a special shell made for just that.

I'm a pretty good shot and I can't do that. He's an awesome shot and he can do that.

$.02

the only time i shoot from the bench is when i'm zeroing so practice makes perfect i shoot better when i don't think about it all the rules of shooting on the bench apply squeeze don't pull the trigger and try to squeeze on a exhale

the problem your having is either holding it steady or a flinch factor or you not controlling muzzle climb you should learn to control muzzle climb by practice or you can get a muzzle break like a Pws which is louder than heck but works way too good. you can practice shooting .22 to save money or just set up a target and practice holding it still work out the arm mussels that get tired holding it on target thats just what i do

Have you tried figure eighting? Basically, standing you're gonna have excess movement...especially if you don't have a sling. What works for me is to get into a rhythm of a sideways figure eight with your front sight post on the target. Start your squeeze as you approach the center of your figure 8, and just focus on your breathing and don't anticipate your shot.

I think this method is kinda unorthodox, but it's what works for me!

Practice the fundamentals first...people think that shooting becomes "natural" but in fact it takes a lot of hard work and practice. You can practice a lot without ever needing to shoot a single bullet down range that will actually help you get rounds down more accurately when they do.

You can do a lot of things dry (without bullets). Just pull the trigger on a dry gun while doing the following...

*Stick a penny on the top of your front sight post and pull the trigger without it falling off (this will help avoid any anticipation of the recoil).

*Try to shoot between breaths (in or out).

*Roll your shoulders inward so that your shoulders and chest muscles can help you support the weight of the rifle (vs. just using your arms).

*Use the meaty portion of your finger between the first knuckle and the tip (that way you are pulling straight pack instead of to the left or to the right).

*Close your non-dominate eye.

*Focus only on the front sight-post.

These tips you can practice thoroughly in your house by "dry-firing" that will help you in accuracy on the range.

Trigger weight sounds like the problem with the right side drift . Put the gun on a solid bench and see if it will shoot with you out of the equation. if it will shoot 1moa at 100 yds you will have to take the blame for the misses. it takes a good shooter to keep them all in 6inches at 200 offhand. But then I shoot from the rest all the time.

I tried the stance, the figure 8, did a lot of dry fire practice, and today my groups were much more centered.
Thanks for the tips guys. Now I need more practice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top