Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help me pick out my new 22 plinker.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Konad, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Konad

Konad Portland Oregon Member

Well I've done quite a bit of research on tacticool 22 plinkers and think I have decided on the Ruger sr-22 because of the proven 10/22 reliabilty and unlimited aftermarket support. Before I pull the tigger (hah) I wanted to hear other peoples opinions on these new 22 rifles that are hitting the market.

I want to make sure I make the right choice. At the moment the other two models I am looking at are the gsg-5 and the S&W M&P15-22 I am also open to other options. I am interested in the gsg-5 mainly because it is no longer being produced due to copyright infringment and I foresee it gaining value in the next few years. I like the S&W but am leaning towards the sr-22 over it because of the sr's has an aluminum reciever where the S&W does not. Also as someone who appriciates quality over economy I love the high quality components such as aluminum mags available for the sr.

Please let me know what you all think, personal experience would be appriciated. I should also mention I am not interested in a AR with a 22 upper.

For those of you who are not familiar with these firearms here are links and pictures.

Thanks in advance.

SR-22 http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/index.html
    sr22m.jpg

GSG-5 http://www.gsg5rifle.com/item/77083...ifles_Shotguns_GSG_GERG2222MP5_MP5_Carbi.aspx
    gsg5.jpg

S&W M&P11-22 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...atalogId=10001&content=751501&sectionId=10002
    37789723.jpg

2. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

I say get the GSG 5 while you can. Out of all the .22's I want the GSG 5 the most.

3. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I thought they changed the GSG enough to "pass" and they are still making them.
    Regardless, H-K is going to make their own, even though it has been said the Uramex(?) built gun is inferior, there will be something to be said for having a "real" H-K.

4. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

I like the M&P 15-22 now that they come w/ flash hiders. They run well, strip like a real AR-15 & have a working bolt release. The GSG-5 is built cheaply like an Airsoft rifle w/ a zinc cast clamshell receiver that is screwed together like the new Colt marked Walther made AR22's.

My personal AR-22: Spike's Tactical ST-22 on a DPMS complete lower. I have a Valdada RDS Edge Red Dot Scope on order for it.

Hunting006.jpg

Tactical Solutions M4 Upper on a CMMG lower w/ a Trijicon Mini Red dot; I built this for my son for less than $650 (less the optics which are off my target pistol).

Hunting003.jpg

5. motohead185

motohead185 Portland, OR Member

well i would say gsg-5 but the ruger reliability is something i like. But i only have a ruger 10/22 as a tactical sniper. for looks i really like the gsg and the S&W.

6. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If ytou want it as a low cost training gun to go with an AR, get
    the S&W. The controls/operation are more AR than any of your other
    choices.

If you don't have and are not going to get an AR, any of them will do fine.

7. cyclesarge

"Also as someone who appriciates quality over economy I love the high quality components such as aluminum mags available for the sr." This is the same thinking that lead me to a dedicated upper. To me, ALL the AR .22 "clones" seem CHEESY, almost "airsoft like". The SR 22 is a 10/22(good or bad) with a factory dress up kit. While the components are quality, it is still a kit that is designed to look like an AR and use AR components, but (IMHO) falls short. I kinda like the GSG's but about the time I started looking into these they announced they weren't gonna make em anymore and all the "scalpers"drove the prices up. I was looking at rimfirecentral and the general consensus is that American Tactical Imports IS still gonna make these.

8. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

this looks just like my thread haha!!

after I give it much thought I decided on an AR15 w/ a 22lr upper

9. wired

wired Yakima Well-Known Member

You will not find a better built and more reliable semiauto combat style .22 rifle than the SIG 522. I'd go as far as saying its a better overall gun than the 10/22. Quality folding stock, built in rail for a scope, 1/2x28 threaded muzzle. Takes the excellent black dog magazines and mine fires ammo that most of my other .22's will not fire reliably. Excellent firearm.

10. cyclesarge

I think you'll be happier with an AR that shoots .22 than you'd be with a .22 that looks like an AR.:thumbup:

11. wired

My the way the GSG is stil being produced. They changed a few minor cosmetics and are now calling it the GSG-522

12. Konad

Konad Portland Oregon Member

Thanks I will look into it.

For those of you that are saying go with a AR with a 22 upper I appriciate your opinions but I dont like having what every other guy has at the range, I like the oddballs.

13. wired

1013768w.jpg

cimg0075j.jpg

14. cyclesarge

I feel sorry for anyone that got "duped" into buying one of the older ones, being told it would be a collectors item. I saw them as high as $1400 from an online dealer.:rollingeyes:

15. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

You want a unique .22lr??? Look no further than the Walther G22 Bullpup.

I love my all black model. It is truly a blast to shoot, and accurate as the Ruger 10/22. The whole rifle is only 28" long with a 20" barrel. The 2nd mag stows in the stock behind the mag in use. The only downside I see with it is that is has only the 2--10 round mags with none made larger, but I can accept that. I have a Walther Red Dot scope on mine and absolutely love it!!!

waltherg22.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

16. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

+1 for the Sig 522.

Very easy to clean (important for a .22LR) vs the GSG5
    Folding stock is a nice feature.
    Accurate and a lot of fun.

17. cbzdel

cbzdel Tacoma, WA Member

Wow! First Bullpup I think I have ever liked! :thumbup:

18. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Sig 522 For Me too. Prices are coming down now that everyone's getting them. Feels like a real weapon unlike the plastic feel of Colt (made by an Airsoft company) or the S&W version. Got my sig for $499 Nov 2009, seeing them for 429 now. Still cheaper than Ruger. Folding stock is a real plus. Only down side, no sights come with it and flip ups are limited because of front sight. Midwest Insustries makes a nice front that works with any AR Back up/tip up sight.

19. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Unique try one of these with the 100rd mag.

20. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

m&p 15

It is a great rifle. reliable, easy to maintain. accepts most ar parts, including fire conroll group.