JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I've done quite a bit of research on tacticool 22 plinkers and think I have decided on the Ruger sr-22 because of the proven 10/22 reliabilty and unlimited aftermarket support. Before I pull the tigger (hah) I wanted to hear other peoples opinions on these new 22 rifles that are hitting the market.

I want to make sure I make the right choice. At the moment the other two models I am looking at are the gsg-5 and the S&W M&P15-22 I am also open to other options. I am interested in the gsg-5 mainly because it is no longer being produced due to copyright infringment and I foresee it gaining value in the next few years. I like the S&W but am leaning towards the sr-22 over it because of the sr's has an aluminum reciever where the S&W does not. Also as someone who appriciates quality over economy I love the high quality components such as aluminum mags available for the sr.

Please let me know what you all think, personal experience would be appriciated. I should also mention I am not interested in a AR with a 22 upper.

For those of you who are not familiar with these firearms here are links and pictures.

Thanks in advance.

SR-22 http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22/index.html
http://img22.imageshack.us/i/sr22m.jpg/

GSG-5 <broken link removed>
http://img34.imageshack.us/i/gsg5.jpg/

S&W M&P11-22 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...atalogId=10001&content=751501&sectionId=10002
http://img214.imageshack.us/i/37789723.jpg/

I like the M&P 15-22 now that they come w/ flash hiders. They run well, strip like a real AR-15 & have a working bolt release. The GSG-5 is built cheaply like an Airsoft rifle w/ a zinc cast clamshell receiver that is screwed together like the new Colt marked Walther made AR22's.

My personal AR-22: Spike's Tactical ST-22 on a DPMS complete lower. I have a Valdada RDS Edge Red Dot Scope on order for it.

Tactical Solutions M4 Upper on a CMMG lower w/ a Trijicon Mini Red dot; I built this for my son for less than $650 (less the optics which are off my target pistol).

If ytou want it as a low cost training gun to go with an AR, get
the S&W. The controls/operation are more AR than any of your other
choices.

If you don't have and are not going to get an AR, any of them will do fine.

"Also as someone who appriciates quality over economy I love the high quality components such as aluminum mags available for the sr." This is the same thinking that lead me to a dedicated upper. To me, ALL the AR .22 "clones" seem CHEESY, almost "airsoft like". The SR 22 is a 10/22(good or bad) with a factory dress up kit. While the components are quality, it is still a kit that is designed to look like an AR and use AR components, but (IMHO) falls short. I kinda like the GSG's but about the time I started looking into these they announced they weren't gonna make em anymore and all the "scalpers"drove the prices up. I was looking at rimfirecentral and the general consensus is that American Tactical Imports IS still gonna make these.

You will not find a better built and more reliable semiauto combat style .22 rifle than the SIG 522. I'd go as far as saying its a better overall gun than the 10/22. Quality folding stock, built in rail for a scope, 1/2x28 threaded muzzle. Takes the excellent black dog magazines and mine fires ammo that most of my other .22's will not fire reliably. Excellent firearm.

You will not find a better built and more reliable semiauto combat style .22 rifle than the SIG 522. I'd go as far as saying its a better overall gun than the 10/22. Quality folding stock, built in rail for a scope, 1/2x28 threaded muzzle. Takes the excellent black dog magazines and mine fires ammo that most of my other .22's will not fire reliably. Excellent firearm.

Thanks I will look into it.

For those of you that are saying go with a AR with a 22 upper I appriciate your opinions but I dont like having what every other guy has at the range, I like the oddballs.

For those of you that are saying go with a AR with a 22 upper I appriciate your opinions but I dont like having what every other guy has at the range, I like the oddballs.

You want a unique .22lr??? Look no further than the Walther G22 Bullpup.

I love my all black model. It is truly a blast to shoot, and accurate as the Ruger 10/22. The whole rifle is only 28" long with a 20" barrel. The 2nd mag stows in the stock behind the mag in use. The only downside I see with it is that is has only the 2--10 round mags with none made larger, but I can accept that. I have a Walther Red Dot scope on mine and absolutely love it!!!

waltherg22.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

I love my all black model. It is truly a blast to shoot, and accurate as the Ruger 10/22. The whole rifle is only 28" long with a 20" barrel. The 2nd mag stows in the stock behind the mag in use. The only downside I see with it is that is has only the 2--10 round mags with none made larger, but I can accept that. I have a Walther Red Dot scope on mine and absolutely love it!!!

waltherg22.jpg

I do not think I have a problem. I'm told that the first step to recovery is to admit your problem..... Screw them. I have NO problem.

Wow! First Bullpup I think I have ever liked! :s0155:

Sig 522 For Me too. Prices are coming down now that everyone's getting them. Feels like a real weapon unlike the plastic feel of Colt (made by an Airsoft company) or the S&W version. Got my sig for $499 Nov 2009, seeing them for 429 now. Still cheaper than Ruger. Folding stock is a real plus. Only down side, no sights come with it and flip ups are limited because of front sight. Midwest Insustries makes a nice front that works with any AR Back up/tip up sight.

waltherg22.jpg

Unique try one of these with the 100rd mag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top