JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are other variables besides powder weight to consider including bullet type, seating depth/empty case space & crimp.

FWIW - my target load for my 1911's(w/standard spring weights) is 4.0 gr bulls eye under a 230 gr RNFP coated lead bullet. More than accurate enough for me out to 17 yards (my local indoor range). I use coated bullets from The Blue Bullets in of my 45 & 9 loads.

I'd say the most important part of getting back into reloading is once you settle on a published load, make sure that your new whirligig doesn't fling powder out of the cases like a crazy thing and to visually verify each and every one of your powder charges.

Now that powder is back again I can second the W231. It is what I have used for .45 since I learned to roll my own in the 70's. Make one load for me and a light load strictly for the Wife. When she wants to shoot I put an old 16# spring in one of the 1911's and she loves it.

for my self.. 5.5 - 6.3 gr of unique and 230gr plated bullets work really well in my 45's, I know you asked for lead but I only shoot plated.. but they should be roughly close, also I would start looking at Hodgdon Reloading | Home alot of powder manufacturers have moved their stuff online, you can still get books by one company or another, but you can also go directly to the source.

I may be wrong, but the original poster is getting back into reloading after an extended recess. Wants to reload and shoot some of the stuff he "smartly stocked up on years ago". Lets help him with some good old data and not overwhelm him with new fangled bullets and powders and data. Plus he's trying to set up a new press. Pretty envious here. :rolleyes:

.I may be wrong, but the original poster is getting back into reloading after an extended recess. Wants to reload and shoot some of the stuff he "smartly stocked up on years ago". Lets help him with some good old data and not overwhelm him with new fangled bullets and powders and data. Plus he's trying to set up a new press. Pretty envious here. :rolleyes:
It puts the powder in the cases or ...

th?&id=OIP.kEhyukMdMsyKzYgcNdxSPQEsCn&w=307&h=171&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

yea, it is a bit tedious. There's plenty of data out there (traditionally found in "reloading manuals") and who even knows.. perhaps there's even data for his pet powder that he already has.

I may be wrong, but the original poster is getting back into reloading after an extended recess. Wants to reload and shoot some of the stuff he "smartly stocked up on years ago". Lets help him with some good old data and not overwhelm him with new fangled bullets and powders and data. Plus he's trying to set up a new press. Pretty envious here. :rolleyes:
As I think someone else mentioned as long as the powder was stored well he should just use it with the manual that he has the same age. Unless there is no load data in there for what he has. Use the stuff up at the range. If the manual does not have loads for that powder and bullets then that is a simple fix. Just ask. I would ALWAYS check loads mentioned on the net on any forum though before trying. Make sure they match a manual.

I haven't reloaded in 35 years or so. I just set up my new Dillon 550 and I'm getting close. Years ago I had a friend that worked at Speer and I bought a ton of bullets from him for dirt cheap. I have 1,500 lead 45 bullets, 230 grain. I have hundreds of brass shells cleaned and ready to go. These are my bullets:

View attachment 340028image upload without registration

My Speer manual is also 35 years old and so is my powder. What powder would you recommend for my first loads? I'm researching online too but would like to know what's working for you guys. Thanks

1st
If you don't have a chronograph, get one.

2nd
What powers did you stock up on?
I've loaded and shot some 30 yr old primers and power that I stored .

MY 1st
Check is primers .... load a few .
I wrapped a towel around the end of barrel to muffle the sound and fired.

Primers good.

2nd
Shake the container and open it and shake again if there is no orange / rusty looking dust coming ftom the container load a few and test fire at a Range.....

If no discount coloration with the dust you sold be goOD to go.

As I was...... this was shown to me by a ex seal friend 27 yrs ago.

And it works for me.

25-May-16 .45ACP Mixed brass T&B 225 LTC Titegroup 4.3 778.19fps Wolf primer 1.200 oal 59*F CZ 97B Very Accurate

30-Jun-16 .45ACP Mixed SPP Missouri 225 LFP WSF 5.6 753.44fps S&B primer 1.200oal 59*F CZ 97B
30-May-15 .45ACP Mixed T&B 225 LFP WST 4.0 793.74fps S&B primer 1.200oal 75*F SA RO

I found out 2 new things today. 45 ACP comes in both small and large primers. And, if you can't find standard large pistol primers use magnum primers instead.

I got the Dillon dialed in. I carefully loaded 6 rounds to completion the successfully fired them through my XDS. I'll let you know what the load consisted of tomorrow. I'm on a roll!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top