JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, Stainless Steel is just that, "Stainless" but not "Stain Proof".

By Definition:

If I'm looking for an "All Weather, Low or Minimal Maintenance" firearm I always choose the stainless option as long as the white metal color is not an issue (as in a Tactical weapon). Coatings are just that, something placed on top of the metal. Most of these coatings are subject to chipping or scratching and can't be just "touched up". If camouflage is desired while hunting then just use one of the various "wraps" that are available that can be discarded when the hunt is over and then you can show off the "unadorned" rifle between seasons. It will look better without the scratches and chips some coatings will have acquired.

Very true, but, properly applied hard chrome is rarely chipped or scratched, unlike paint. Used in the bearing surfaces of turbine engines and other high wear and pressure applications it is considered a "mechanical" plating rather than a "cosmetic" one. It really is overkill when used in a fire arm.

If you are willing to stoop to a Savage action, you might as well just buy a great Remington factory rifle like this:
Remington 700 Stainless Synthetic 308 winchester : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Then buy your Mannlicher stock at a place like this:
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Might even save a few $$$$$

.308, stainless, short action, synthetic stock

But then you'd probably like a Win 70 safety for the 700:
View attachment 184743

But........these are just suggestions. Build what YOU want. "It only costs a little more to go first class"

View attachment 184742

I've built several custom rifles on some long, but mostly short Remington 700 actions. I have also built one on a Winchester short action and an old savage 110L. All of these rifles started as complete guns bought for hundreds less than what you can buy the action alone for. I lean toward the Remington 700, but by no means believe any one action is more accurate than another. Find one YOU like where ever you can for the least amount of money then go from there. Savage rifles are easiest to switch barrels on but you can do the same thing on any action if you take the right steps. If that is something you really are interested in.

But........these are just suggestions. Build what YOU want. "It only costs a little more to go first class"

Yeah, as I mentioned way back up at the beginning, this is all conjecture and a learning exercise for me, presently. Just wanting to understand how all the pieces fit together, as I likely won't be able to embark on the whole hog, two grand+ version of building the rifle for another year (but that likely won't stop me from purchasing parts in piecemeal fashion in the meantime).

Buy an action, or rifle of your choosing, with the correct donor action for under $400. It might take awhile, but if your in no hurry you'll find one. Then decide what barrel contour your going to use and buy a quality stock. I started with McMillan ( $700.) now I use Bell&Carlson ($225.) Next, when money allows, take it to a reputable gunsmith and have him put a quality barrel on. I use benchmark barrels ($300 for stainless #5 26" long) It has never cost me over $750. to have a smith supply, cut, chamber, and crown barrel, true action, and bolt face, adjust the trigger, and bed the action to the stock. Once this is done you can buy scope mounts (EGW $40.) and a scope of your choosing. ( I use Leupold With side focus $800.) This is how I have done it and how I still do it, and all for under $2,000.

For a number of reasons REAL gunsmiths and REAL shooters consider this to be the only action to use in a custom build.

Funny, I am a REAL gunsmith. I'm not sure I'm a real shooter, as I spend too much time tinkering, although I'm working on changing that. I have never considered the pre-64 model 70 to be the only action to use. Frankly, some of the best shooting rifles I've ever built were on Howa 1500 actions. In fact, none of the several dozen custom rifles that I've built all or part of, none were on pre-64 model 70 actions. They are nice, don't get me wrong. But they are expensive and relatively speaking, rare. Some of the new "custom" actions (such as the Dakota, BAT, and Surgeon actions) are nice, but are expensive...

Actually the pre 64 "style" actions found on the winchester "classic" magnum rifles are my favorites. They can be had in stainless, usually in the 600 - 800 dollar range. The Laredo (not stainless though)I mentioned in my earlier post is one of these, I think they made them around 1999-2000. Pretty close to being a factory custom new they sold around 500-600. They came in 300 win mag and 7mm rem mag. I worked for the factory warranty center at the time and I couldn't have built a better rifle for twice the price.

Funny, I am a REAL gunsmith. I'm not sure I'm a real shooter, as I spend too much time tinkering, although I'm working on changing that. I have never considered the pre-64 model 70 to be the only action to use. Frankly, some of the best shooting rifles I've ever built were on Howa 1500 actions. In fact, none of the several dozen custom rifles that I've built all or part of, none were on pre-64 model 70 actions. They are nice, don't get me wrong. But they are expensive and relatively speaking, rare. Some of the new "custom" actions (such as the Dakota, BAT, and Surgeon actions) are nice, but are expensive...

I've owned a pre-64 Model 70, a Remington 700 and 721. My favorite is still my current deer rifle, a 1500 Howa in .30-06. Quick, smooth, and accurate.

I was where you're at about 4 months ago.
Brownell's has (had) short action blued 308 bolt face actions for $370.
After BBL.cost; chambering (trust 'their' accuracy) It was cost prohibitive.

Bought a 10TH Anniversary Remington 5R 308

Long story short;;;first 100 yrd. 3 shot group after/during break in:::<1/2" all touching
200yrds five in 1/2"high by 1" wide, needs bedding to prevent 'torque' on ignition.
Oh Yeah...HS Precision stock 24" Bbl. S.S. I really like my rifle. Good Luck

I agree with Turq.. I have bought several rifles that are all stock except for bedding and trigger work, and they shoot very good. All under MOA and some down to >25 MOA with hand loads. Building a custom rifle is not cost effective, but it is the only way to get that right barrel length, twist, contour, or wildcat cambering.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top