JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What I just pulled/pushed out of my new to me Ruger 10/22.

Just bought this from a "new" member on this site (4 posts total) for a good price. As expected it looked as it had never been cleaned, so I set to do that today. Start cleaning the barrel and my pull through wire brush gets seriously jammed. Took almost two hours of pulling and cursing to get it through and this is the bubblegum that came out.

The bore now looks super shiny and new to the point I can see the rifling all the way through both ends. That said, I am still leery of pulling the trigger now...

Am I safe?

Not sure what that is honestly?? What kind of metal does it seem to be? A casing or bullet? In any case if the barrel looks to be in good shape, no bulges, cracks, etc, I would assume you would be good to go. .22 doesn't exactly produce a ton of pressure, and if the rifling looks clean after removing the obstruction I wouldn't stress it too much. I assume you have looked over the receiver and the rest of the gun for obvious damage also? All things considered, if there is no obvious damage I would go for it. However thats just my opinion, and I am certainly not a gunsmith. I probably wouldn't hold it up to my cheek for the first couple of shots, but if I went through it and it looked fine, I would shoot it.

That's part of the issue. I am too new to firearms to even venture a guess at what it could be. I thought I should be okay with a clean looking barrel but it was just very disconcerting find that huge chunk in a barrel.

Maybe he tried shooting a 22 short or shot CB out of it and the bullet became cockeyed in the free bore/chamber before the rifling, lodging itself in the barrel???????

Looks like the remnants of a few lead bullets that got jammed together. My best guess would be previous owner was shooting it, had a bad round that didn't send the bullet all the way out of the gun, fired another round or 3 and they formed into a lump of lead. As it was no longer hitting the target and he couldn't figure out why he sold it. If the bore looks nice and clear now it "should" be fine. Shoot it one round at a time making sure each round is impacting on the target before firing multiple rounds. As always wear eye and ear protection. I'm sure someone on here that is in your area and familiar with 10/22s would be willing to take a look at it for you.

Gunnails - I did try to contact him to ask just that. Oddly enough... No response

Eganx - Could be the short, but I don't know what CB means. And, no, not a $20 coming your way ;)

Swedish K - you are probably closer to the truth than anything as the seller mentioned he couldn't sight a 9x scope in to even be able to hit paper. Makes sense now.

MrBlack - I will definitely wear eye protection and it will be as far from my face as possible for at least the first 25 round mag being shot one at a time.

Thank you all. I do feel comfortable enough to at least give it a try.

It's a 22- you can hold the bolt closed with your thumb. Check the barrel good again, fire one round, verify hits target and check barrel, I'd repeat for 5-10rds to make sure nothing still hanging up in the barrel.

And here's another reason I think we need some classified minimium posts rule

Hi HBIII,
I would take a look at it for you if you would bring it over. Did it come out of the barrel? Receiver? Is it soft? Can you mark it with yourfinger nail? We can shoot it here I have a small range here. We can also take it competely apart. I live SE 172nd Ave HappyValley, Oregon.
Send me at PM if you wish to come by.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

netcarrier - Awesome! PM sent :D. For your questions, it came out of the barrel. It is sort of soft as I can put small marks on it with a fingernail. Brittle is probably the best word to describe it.

You can buy an almost new factory10/22 barrel for $20. If you have any fear of barrel damage, get one. Squib loads can back up in a barrel and they look just like your photos. Sometimes they "bulge" sometimes no damage whatever.

So you bought it without looking down the pipe? I have made that mistake before.......I am just glad you didnt get hurt. Yes even a 22 can do some wicked things when a barrel is plugged.

10/22 barrels are cheap, I have one here if you need one, just send me a PM.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top