JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
im looking for my first revolver, i prefer S&W but am open to anything that is reliable. any caliber will do, it will mostly be used for plinking. I only own one other gun, a glock 19....so yeah, just point me in the right direction, links to a ad or website. im looking to spend 200-250. used is fine. thanks!

I'd recommend a used .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 special in it for practice and fun and shoot .357 Magnum if needed.

I'd go with a Ruger or S&W if you can afford it. If not, A Rossi or Taurus Might fit the bill and they cost less. They might not hold up to the use or the better quality guns, but are OK for practice on a budget.

Another budget gun you might consider is a Heritage .22 with an extra .22 mag cylinder. They run about 225.00

Good luck!

Look into ruger, you'll have to raise your budget a little, but it would be worth it in my opinion. as far as caliber goes, my vote is for the .357 that way if your feelin cheap you can just drop some .38's in their, less of a bang but also better for plinking anyway. that or a ruger single six .22.

Definitely agree on .22, when .22 ammo comes back in force you'll once again have the choice available "I can go to a movie thats probably garbage and buy expensive popcorn, OR, I can fire off 500 rounds of ammunition...hmmmm...."

357 is great as well, 2 available calibers, great trail-gun, plenty of snake-shot loads available, cheap(ish) target ammo, and full magnum loads for animals that fancy having you for dinner.

I'd also suggest a Ruger Single-Six. I think everyone should have a .22lr handgun because they are cheap to shoot & good for introducing new shooters. You already have the G19, so a .38/.357 would be somewhat duplicative in terms of another defensive handgun.

If you don't want to go single-action/.22lr, then I'd suggest a used S&W .38 Spl (police trade in, pawn shop, etc.), a Taurus of some kind in .38/.357 or a used Ruger GP100 (if you can find one). A used Ruger Blackhawk in .357 might be another good option for you to look for.

Even though you want a revolver, I might also suggest a semi-auto .22lr. I'm sure you can find a nice, used Ruger Mark I/II or similar in your price range.

Good luck - let us know what you get!

Your first handgun should be a .22. It takes much more practice than a rifle to be equally as good. In other words it will take much more ammo to practice. You can go for a revolver or semi auto Ruger MKII or a Browning Buckmark, also a semi auto. Those two are both excellent guns.

Unless you reload ammo for a centerfire is going to cost you much money. Even cheapo
.38 ammo is very expensive right now, heck even .22 ammo is high.

I think you will enjoy a .22 more. I own .357's and .44's but the .22 Ruger is always a joy to shoot.

I think that most modern revolvers are dependable. However, Ruger double actions are very easy to disassemble and reassemble. I wanted to replace the mainspring in mine (to get a lighter trigger pull). So, I ordered one and when it came, I and my 10 thumbs were able to replace it quickly and easily. For maintenance, I would choose a Ruger DA revolver. Mine is in .357 magnum.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top