JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Marlin 795 is good too, sort of a 60 with magazines rather than tube feed. Trigger is fine stock, it isn't ammo sensitive but likes cci mini mags the best so far (our other 22 rifle and pistol are both ammo critical and like mini mags too). There is no upgrade path but none is necessary as stock the Marlin is accurate. We target shoot it at 100 yards all the time and without much wind you can easily get consistent 3.5 moa groups off of sandbags with the mini mags. You can't put on 25 or 30 shot mags like you can for a 10-22. It scopes fine off of dovetail rings, though you will need sturdy ones or it will get loose on you.

They had a $20 rebate on these rifles but I don't know if that is still on.

Our 795 is just as accurate as our Savage Mark 2 bolt 22 (no accutrigger), I found this surprising but it is true. The trigger on the Savage is way too heavy though, given that fix it will prob. be more accurate.

I really enjoy shooting 22, no recoil worries, never flinch, and cheap ammo. Not as exciting as the bigger rounds but you get a lot more practice in.

I'd buy a new Marlin 60 at Bi Mart and never look back. Some day when you're rich you can sink $1,000 into a 10/22 which will be loaded with everything including expensive optics. Then you can take your (never sell it) Marlin 60 with you and shoot a tight group right into the middle of the group you just shot with your $1,000 10/22. :D

The Marlin 60 is the best selling .22 ever. It's been in continuous production since 1960 and has sold more than 11 million copies. In second place is the 10/22 which has been in continuous production since 1964 and has sold about 5+ million copies, or about 1/2 as many as the 60.

If you need a black rifle for the pizazz factor, you can get one that looks a bit like an AR-15 for about $500 in more than one brand.

Marlin 60 and keep it forever. Get another something later if you must. Pass the 60 down 100 years from now as a family heirloom. :s0155:

The new 10/22 are horrible, they have plastic trigger guards and are not built as well as they used to be. They seem to jam more and are very picky especially with bulk ammo. They require work to become %100 reliable. The 10/22 Ruger is a solid choice if you want a semi auto and a gun you can completely "pimp out".

The Marlin 60 is a good choice, very reliable, but I absolutely hate tube feed 22lr, so I didn't get one.

I finally ended up buying a Savage MK II with the accu-trigger, went shooting with it and love the adjustable trigger, they range from $150-600. Depending on what features you get, mostly stock differences. The MK II has a detachable magazine in 5 rd or 10 rd. The best part they come in left handed models (MARK II-GL), I would seriously recommend you check them out. Good luck with finding a fun rifle..

In that price range you are mostly going to find single shot rifles and some bolt actions. I found you a Stevens model 15-B single shot .22 for $69 buy it now on gunbroker. It's not brand new but there are still replacement parts available if needed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154013953

I also found a bolt action H&R plainsman that has a 5 round detatchable clip for $46 current bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154449032

Ouch, $30-$35 shipping + around $30 (local FFL + BGC) for a gun than is less than $60?

I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, (but, they are pretty much the only place locally that carry my .357 Sig) I noticed they have Savage bolt action mark II's for $129. They also had Marlin 60's, but it seemed like they were around $150-$160 (IIRC).

Pawn shops can be a good source but you really need to know what you are looking at or you can get burned, price wise. I was just in one earlier this week and they had two 10/22's. One was $150 (all stock no scope) the other was about the same condition (No noticeable rigger job, or anything) but had a $60 Tasco scope on it, for $400. The guy behind the counter couldn't explain the $$$ difference, except to say the one for $150 must be a REALLY good deal.:huh:

Ouch, $30-$35 shipping + around $30 (local FFL + BGC) for a gun than is less than $60?

Yeah, that's what I thought too but they don't base the shipping of long guns on estimated value, just weight and package size.

Philomath gun shop has gobs of used .22 rifles in their store. I was in there about a month ago and I saw at least fifteen to choose from scattered throughout the store.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top