JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im relatively new to shooting, i would like a 22 caliber rifle for target practice.
My budget is EXTREMELY limited, but id like something that can be upgraded over time, scope, trigger, what have you. Can someone point me in the right direction? Im looking to spend 80-125.00 at most. I appreciate your time.

Dig some change out of the sofa cushions and donate some blood. Then hit up one of Bi-Marts sales on a Ruger 10/22. You may be able to locate one used as well. Either way it will take a tad more moolah to get somthing that isn't a POS.

Bi-Mart just had the wood stock 10/22 on sale for 179.00. Not sure if they go that low all the time but it was a good deal. I think the stainless model was on sale for right at 2 bills also.

10-22's hold their value too well to find a cheap one very easy.
Keiths has a used one for 165.00 bucks...TOO much for used,but as I say they hold their value.
In my humble opinion,the ruger is a plinker rifle,not a target rifle...out of the box that is.It can be upgraded to be a tack driver,but it costs a lot to do it.
consenus is the Marlin model 60 is more accurate,but no upgrades or add-ons are out ther for it that I know of.
Bimart is the place to look for one at the best price it seems.

It's already been said.
If you want something customizable then the 10/22 is the way to go.

If you want something that will be more accurate right out of the box but less options for customizing, then the Marlin Model 60 is a good choice - plus they are cheaper - they often come up around $60 - $80 depending on condition.

10/22s rarely come up less than $140.

This package is not a bad option
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=151998

what you guys think of the Savage 64 F, I've been checking around at Bimart and they told me they regularly have a $20 off coupon on the rimfire. I heard that the 10 22's are sometimes picky with ammo which I didn't want to have to worry about. I'm looking for something that I can put a scope on and be accurate with.

what you guys think of the Savage 64 F, I've been checking around at Bimart and they told me they regularly have a $20 off coupon on the rimfire. I heard that the 10 22's are sometimes picky with ammo which I didn't want to have to worry about. I'm looking for something that I can put a scope on and be accurate with.

I hate to say it, but nearly ALL semi-auto .22s can be picky about ammo.

Some will run subsonics, some won't.

Generally, 10/22s run well.

If you want to avoid this, you can go to a bolt action, like the Savage Mark II, Ruger 77/22, or CZ452/455 series. Although in a weird turn, the bolt action rifles are typically more expensive than the 10/22.

I don't own one, but I I were to look for another .22 rifle, I would take a hard look at the CZ's. They seem to be a lot of rifle for the money, it you like bolt guns. There again, not much accesorizing to be done other than slap a good scope on it.

so will a marlin 60 be better for target practice compared to 10/22?
what upgrades will the ruger require to make it "Tack driver"?
and how much would i have spent before it became said tack driver?
i appreciate the advice guys!

What you ultimately have to decide is how much $$ you want to invest in a rifle that is ultimately going to be limited more by the nature of .22LR ammo than what you can do with the rifle.

Personally I'd rather have a cheap .22 rifle (e.g. Marlin model 60) and spend the $400 or so I would have spent on upgrades to accurize a 10/22 on another rifle - something that is a tack driver out of the box in a different caliber.
.17 HMR comes to mind or .22 WMR.

that's just what I'd do with the same amount of money.

The first gun I ever bought my self was a Marlin mdl 60 , I wish I still had it. I currently have a 10/22 & a Remington 597 , I like them both but as others have said if you wan't to do the modifications & "tinker" around with your choice then go with the 10/22. Personally , I wish I still had the Marlin !

Check the pawn shops, most have lots of model 60s and others available. I have a model 989(model 60 design to look like m-1), and mod 81 bolt action, and model 57 levematic. all marlins and all great shooters the model 57 being the most fun to shoot.

I hate to say it, but nearly ALL semi-auto .22s can be picky about ammo.

Some will run subsonics, some won't.

Generally, 10/22s run well.

If you want to avoid this, you can go to a bolt action, like the Savage Mark II, Ruger 77/22, or CZ452/455 series. Although in a weird turn, the bolt action rifles are typically more expensive than the 10/22.

I wouldn't mind a bolt action but I am just a lil limited due to being a lefty. With a semi its much of an issue but with bolt action its pretty akward. The wifes uncle had a browning I believe the stock went almost to the full length of the barrrel that was fun to shoot.

In that price range you are mostly going to find single shot rifles and some bolt actions. I found you a Stevens model 15-B single shot .22 for $69 buy it now on gunbroker. It's not brand new but there are still replacement parts available if needed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154013953

I also found a bolt action H&R plainsman that has a 5 round detatchable clip for $46 current bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154449032

You can also find new in box, Crickett single shot youth rifles for around $135

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=154690783

The only lefties I know of are made by Walther and CZ and they start in the $400 range and go up from there. Hope this helps.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads