JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
shot two ladder test with my 6.5 creedmoor today at 340yds. The only thing I changed between the two test were the primers and I feel fairly confident that I didn't pull any of the shots. I worked up in .3gr increments and noticed a slight sticky/heavy bolt lift at around the 42.9-43.2gr mark but no other indication of over pressure on the brass itself. The top picture is with BR4 primers and the bottom is CCI 450 primers.
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG

If I were doing your ladder, I'd shoot at least three rounds per powder weight and keep everything else consistent, including primers.

IMHO, you don't have enough data points to draw any conclusions.

If I were doing your ladder, I'd shoot at least three rounds per powder weight and keep everything else consistent, including primers.

Ya, I do 3 or 5 shot groups when I work up COL and or powder charges.

This is really difficult to make anything of. The only thing I can say from what I'm seeing is the hotter loads are shooting flatter hence the higher impact. Of coarse that is only if your aiming center of target.

I would agree in this situation where the ladder is based on POI rather than velocity.

A ladder test can be effective with only one round per charge weight. I load 10 rounds starting at max and going down .2 per charge. I shoot them over a chronograph, not worried about anything but flat spots in velocity. When I see a flat spot, I pick a charge in that flat spot and shoot groups with varying COAL til I find a load that shoots small groups.

I dont mess with components in a ladder test. Charge weight is the only variance until I'm ready to shoot groups. Then its COAL. But never components.

That is what I tried a couple of weeks ago with no noticeable flat spots in velocity. I had a steady increase from my starting load all the way through to the max load that's why I decided to try a ladder test today.

H4350 trickled to nearest .1gr on a RCBS scale
1x fired Lapua brass
140gr ELD-M bullets
Sized with Redding FL bushing die with .002 neck tension
Trimmed to length
Seated bullets with a Redding competition seating die

H4350 trickled to nearest .1gr on a RCBS scale
1x fired Lapua brass
140gr ELD-M bullets
Sized with Redding FL bushing die with .002 neck tension
Trimmed to length
Seated bullets with a Redding competition seating die
Well, everything sounds pretty solid to me!

What rifle and barrel profile?

Ladder tests work best with really accurate, heavy barrel, bench rest guns. I have tried them but for most everything have gone back to OCW tests, having 3 data points per charge makes deciphering the data easier.

You didn't say but with that bushing die I hope you are turning your necks, or culling anything without perfect neck thickness.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR