JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interested in cheap plinking, practice toy. AFAIK, both get good reviews. Would the Taurus be better practice for 'real' pistols? Is Ruger definitely better for accuracy .. not just mechanical accuracy but softer trigger, etc?

I vote the Taurus. At one point I had two 22/45s. Now I have no MK series and two TX22s.

Either will provide hours, well minutes (given the price of ammo these days) of plinking fun. Training depends on what you're working on; either is going to be great for basic skills like sight picture, stance, trigger, etc. If you're a plastic gun guy the Taurus may feel more familiar in your hand, if you're a 1911 guy a 22/45 may feel better.

I own a mkII and a walther p22. The p22 is easier to train my grandkids on because it is lighter. I haven't shot a tx22 but I would suppose it similar to my p22. Depending on which mkIV you buy weight may or may not be a factor.

If cost is a factor, the edge goes to the Taurus. I've owned a number of different Taurus handguns over the years and have not had any reliability issues (a common complaint in some circles) but since this isn't an every day carry that shouldn't be a huge problem.

There you have my 2 cents.

Two completely different pistols, satisfying two different missions.

The Ruger is a better gun. Being single action, with a decent trigger, it's much easier to shoot accurately. That said, since I bought the Taurus, I've not shot any of my Ruger Mk pistols.

The Taurus is a fun gun to shoot, emulating the plethora of plastic-framed wonder-pistols of our era. :s0116:

Two completely different pistols, satisfying two different missions.

The Ruger is a better gun. Being single action, with a decent trigger, it's much easier to shoot accurately. That said, since I bought the Taurus, I've not shot any of my Ruger Mk pistols.

The Taurus is a fun gun to shoot, emulating the plethora of plastic-framed wonder-pistols of our era. :s0116:
Same here. Ruger Mk IV 22/45 with Volquartsen upgrades has been idle since TX22 came along.

TX22 more accurate (for me, especially after adding fiber optic front site), totally reliable, and 16-round mags make for great plinker.

I know a guy that modded a TX Cali (10 rnd) Mag to hold 16. He is a armorer/gunsmith, and said he was glad to have done it but would not spend that much time on one again. Comes from the factory with 2 16 rnd mags.

I bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite last month. Familiar grip/angle and controls, adjustable rear sight, threaded barrel, Picatinny top rail for an RMR, good trigger, good accuracy (I can hit 2" swingers at 25'.). Easy to put a can on, and I am going to be modding it with the Volquartsen Accuracy Kit for an even better trigger feel. It features easy takedown also.

It digests all diff kinds of .22lr ammo with no malfunctions. Comes with two 10rd mags but it's not like I need a 25rd like I have for my 10-22 and never use... ammo is too precious to be spraying willy nilly today.

Last Edited:
Shameless link to my thread...