JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a while now I've been wanting a nice steel 357 wheel gun. Given my budget of ~$500-600 I think a 4" Ruger GP100 seems like the best fit.

It's available from a few local dealers in that price range. I've also seen various models used for $400 or a bit more. $100 saved is something, but what can I expect in added service/benefit when buying new from a good gun shop?

Might I get discounts on accessories, or basic services (maybe different sights installed, etc.)? Free ammo?

Assuming I bought used I'd be prudent and exchange CPL details, create bill of sale, etc. No real worries about a shady FTF transaction.

Is it worth a 25%+ markup to buy new?

I'm a big fan of used just about anything. Any other used item and you are talking about a %50-%70 discount for used private party. Gun it's closer to %10-%15. Look how many Glocks are in the classifieds for within 10% of new pricing?

There are 3 things that you typically get with private party:
1. no FFL paperwork/fees

2. no sales tax (not an issue for OR but it's another $50-60 in WA)

3. free accessories. An extra mag, holster, trigger job etc can add up to a nice discount if you were going to have to go out and purchase those things anyway.

The big downside to private party is you don't really know what you are getting. Where did it come from, when was it made, how many rounds have been shot through it. Personally I think all of that can be overcome with common sense but what you really lose out on is side by side comparision and availability. Not only do you have to know what you want but someone has to be selling it.

Did you see the SP101 in the ads? Looked like a good deal w/a nice holster.

How many people actually wear out a gun? Mostly they do not take care of them, but rarely is a gun shot out.

No problem buying used for me. Why pay for the new gun smell?

Eric

Did you see the SP101 in the ads? Looked like a good deal w/a nice holster.

I did and that's a solid example of my point.

I'm not sure what that holster is worth, but there's a shop a couple miles from my house with a brand new SP101 for $475+tax. Speed loaders are nice add in, but again the used price is getting pretty close to the new price.

If the used price including accessories was equal or less to the new price I'd consider it.

Don't overlook the 3" fixed sight, it's good out 100' or so. Also Gp 100 are sturdy weapons so consider a Ruger will last 30+ years with little Maint. besides cleaning/lubing. So if it's three years old it is no biggie.

PS;; Lube a S.S. GP100 with Permatex Anti-Seize the silver colored slick stuff. I slather it on and spray with Outers Tri-Lube to send it into small places. Wipe down. It smoothes the trigger/action. Try it.Good Luck

a GP100 is built "**** for stout". I would have no prob with a used one. theres plenty of them out there, I would be patient & wait for a deal to come along.

Unless you see some obvious problems with the used GP100, I would go for it over the new. Rugers are built like tanks. Take the money you save on the used gun and buy ammo or some good leather.

If you can find the exact used gun you want for a decent reduction in price over a new one, I'd buy that, even if it's from a dealer. Being a Ruger you don't have to worry about being the first owner to get any warranty service, if you would ever need that with a GP100!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top