JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah yeah yeah, I know. Opinions are like bubblegum holes when it comes to the 1911 but I am really haveing a hard time choosing. At first I was just going to pick up a Colt Government and call it good. Then I started getting that itch. The one you get after holding a fine 1911 like a Wilson, Or a Ed Brown.
I have a budget of around 4k which is in range for most except for the fully custom pistols. Right now I am leaning to a Guncrafter GWNN. Now I have not held one but I have heard Wilson people say they are better then a Wilson so that says a lot.

If money is no problem, I'd say get the one you really, really want. If you don't, a year from now you could be asking yourself why you didn't. My personal feelings are that if it is to be a carry gun, you might want to keep it simple. You can still get quality in a simple package.

My experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

If money is no problem, I'd say get the one you really, really want. If you don't, a year from now you could be asking yourself why you didn't. My personal feelings are that if it is to be a carry gun, you might want to keep it simple. You can still get quality in a simple package.

My experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Its going to be a range gun. I am leaning toward the guncrafter but I just found a nice Wilson, but to be honest. I am not in a great hurry.

I agree. You don't want to have any regrets down the line.
Get what feels right for you. Imagine if you get something other than what you really wanted. Each time you open up the safe you'll replay it in your head.

I agree. You don't want to have any regrets down the line.
Get what feels right for you. Imagine if you get something other than what you really wanted. Each time you open up the safe you'll replay it in your head.
Not always. Sometimes you trade the mistake and sometimes it makes it to the back of the safe
If a 1911 fits your hands good,it's hard to not like any of them.
Just like most guns,they are all good,just some are gooder than others

I would look at the guns and then decide what I want to spend. I mean If you have 4k and really want a Les Brown or a wilson Baer,did I get that right? Then go get one.
But if you want a great 1911 that shoot very well,look at some of the under 2k guns.
Say what you want about Kimber,they have served me well.Same with Springfields.
Heck for LB money you can try about 4 different brands.
There is a lot of prejudices with 1911.Same as ARs. Decide if you are going to compete or show off.Or just so YOU have it.If none of these are a big deal,you just want a nice shooter,why spend 3-4k on one?
I have held a few different high end brands,nobody would let me shoot them:(,but the guns didn't show me anything that made me say "WOW I see what the other 3k is for".
They aren't like a rifle that has perfect wood and detail.Heck Maybe I'm just too cheap to notice the differences.
But my 2 sprinfields ran and shot as good as I needed them to.Accurate smooth and reliable.
All for around $800.
Just hope my 1000 dollar TRP is as good!
BTW 3k buys a lot of range time:cool:

I've had some very nice 1911s, but never one in the $4k price range.
My tastes in appearance are very reserved and I like things simple. I'm not inclined to like things like front slide serrations, flat tops slides (like the Gold Cup has) and polished controls on a 1911. About the only things that "float my goat" are beautiful bluing and possibly a tasteful engraving job. I have a gun with beautiful bluing, though, and it doesn't see much use. My stainless Dan Wesson is my favorite tool and has the wear to prove it.
If it was my money, and that's a chunk of change for a handgun, I'd find samples of each brand I was interested in and play "touchie-feely". That's too much money to take anyone's word on.

I would look at the guns and then decide what I want to spend. I mean If you have 4k and really want a Les Brown or a wilson Baer,did I get that right? Then go get one.
But if you want a great 1911 that shoot very well,look at some of the under 2k guns.
Say what you want about Kimber,they have served me well.Same with Springfields.
Heck for LB money you can try about 4 different brands.
There is a lot of prejudices with 1911.Same as ARs. Decide if you are going to compete or show off.Or just so YOU have it.If none of these are a big deal,you just want a nice shooter,why spend 3-4k on one?
I have held a few different high end brands,nobody would let me shoot them:(,but the guns didn't show me anything that made me say "WOW I see what the other 3k is for".
They aren't like a rifle that has perfect wood and detail.Heck Maybe I'm just too cheap to notice the differences.
But my 2 sprinfields ran and shot as good as I needed them to.Accurate smooth and reliable.
All for around $800.
Just hope my 1000 dollar TRP is as good!
BTW 3k buys a lot of range time:cool:
I nearly forgot about the Spring TRP...i want one of those. Haven't been able to convince the wife to let me have one. lol.

Here is how I would go: http://www.turnbullmfg.com/gun-category/manufactured-firearms/turnbull-model-1911/

Here is a review from American Rifleman: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/10/10/turnbull-m1911/

I like traditional. I am buying one of these next year. :cool:

Turnbull-1911.jpg

Last Edited:
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.
I found mine locally for $1000.Just doesn't come with the original grips
the problem is I just picked up a nee M&P9 FDE and a 300aac upper so she said no more toys for a while. LOL
that's why I'm selling off 2 handguns right now in order to get back into the black.

The worst part about trying to decide is the only place that I know of that carries the high end 1911s is Keith's and its such a pain to get to.
I would love to get the feel of them before plunking down money to buy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top