JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is this really a question?
Go to moms house,give her enough money to buy a glock (skip that check) take to one of the dozens of ffls in pugetropolis and help her buy a gun.
Almost like someone's baiting

Is this really a question?
Go to moms house,give her enough money to buy a glock (skip that check) take to one of the dozens of ffls in pugetropolis and help her buy a gun.
Almost like someone's baiting

This would work well. Also, I believe you have to be a resident of the state you are buying a handgun in.

I neglected to check my thread and it seemed to have exploded with responses, thanks!

@jbett98 asked why I wanted a used Glock. It happens to be what I know, and was thinking of going that way since I'm such a big Glock guy. But I've rethought that and am open to all sorts of different guns. She is not a shooter and she won't care. I just want something she can grab in the absolute worst case scenario. I'm even thinking a Sig 320 would be good.

I think @RicInOR has the winning answer, to separate the money from the transfer. I think I might buy a Sig 320c and shoot it for awhile, myself. Maybe get a little Production action for a few months. Then just transfer it to her (for free) in the normal legal fashion.

BTW, the reason a Sig 320 might work (besides how awesome it is for my temporary uses), is it fulfills my basic requirements for no safeties, and full-cap double-stack. But the beavertail plus the high slide will keep her from ever getting slide bite, no matter how she may grip it.

This is just a theoretical conversation anyway. What is the simple answer? If I were buying something new, I would just pay for it at the gun shop in her area and have her do the paperwork.

But what if I want to buy used?

Has your mom "tried on" the G17? Do you buy her shoes for her? Of course not, don't pick out her gun, take her to a store to "try on " various guns that meet you specs and let her pick the best fit. If it doesn't "fit", if she can't work the action, she won't practice, if she won't practice buy her a hammer or baseball bat... Look at the Walther PPS, Sig P320 (same price point as a Glock) (good for small hands says my wife) and others. They are both striker fired just like the Glock..lots of other options. Don't deny her the opportunity to get something she actually might like. Drive up, help her out and have her make the complete transaction.

Where in Puget sound? If she's anywhere near a Quantico tactical she/you can but it online. She can go in and put the clearance paperwork in and you can come pick it up with her. There is a QT in tacoma they usually have good deals on glocks. They will ship from there warehouse to any QT. Also if that doesn't work call Mary's pistols and ask the best way to handle it. Also tacoma.

I want to buy a used G17 for my mom, who lives in the Puget Sound area. I see a few different scenarios. Which is the best?

1) Buy a gun from a local seller, do the BGC in my name in Oregon, then drive the gun to her and have her do another BGC with a local FFL.

2) Convince a local seller to meet me at a Vancouver FFL, convince my mom to drive down and meet us at that FFL, pay the guy for the gun and have my mom do the BGC at the same time.

3) Buy a gun locally at an FFL, do the BGC in my name, drive it up to her, and provide it to her on permanent loan.

Are there any options I've ignored? Is option 3 illegal?

#1 Does your mom want a gun? Does she have firearm training? A safety is a wonderful thing especially for 'new' gun owners with little experience?
#2 A good son wants to help protect his mom; but listening to her wants, needs, capabilities is keen here.
#3 Go see her (Mom's always like visits)...figure it out with her, then proceed.
Stay safe and have fun,
Joly

She is not a shooter and she won't care. I just want something she can grab in the absolute worst case scenario.

I say again... Are you going to stick around and train her, pay for some training, etc? Will she limp wrist it? Can she clear various jams? Will she verbally threaten an intruder and then not shoot? Resulting in it being used on her? Can she even clean the gun safely?

#2... A revolver is a safer choice. But my God man, buy her a can of wasp spray!!!

I was going to say I'm sorry for being such a stickler on this point, but I'm not. You are really scaring me for her safety and that of others around her.

She has a GP100 right now and can hold it just fine, but it is HUGE and only has 6 rounds. They are much harder to handle follow-up shots than a semi-auto.

I totally understand the need for training, but I would prefer my mom having a gun that she can handle--but does not have a lot of experience--than not have a gun at all. If she ends up having a rare jam, at the very moment of a life-threatening encounter, and she is unable to clear the jam due to lack of training, what situation is she in? She is still in the same life-threatening situation she was in before getting the jam. So what is the fix for that besides training? Not having a gun? How judgmental! People all across the country own a gun, never shoot it, never get training, and yet are able to shoot a bad guy and win.

The bottom line? I'd rather her be untrained with a 15-round 9mm semi-auto than be untrained with a 6-round 38spl revolver.

She has a GP100 right now and can hold it just fine, but it is HUGE and only has 6 rounds. They are much harder to handle follow-up shots than a semi-auto.

I totally understand the need for training, but I would prefer my mom having a gun that she can handle--but does not have a lot of experience--than not have a gun at all. If she ends up having a rare jam, at the very moment of a life-threatening encounter, and she is unable to clear the jam due to lack of training, what situation is she in? She is still in the same life-threatening situation she was in before getting the jam. So what is the fix for that besides training? Not having a gun? How judgmental! People all across the country own a gun, never shoot it, never get training, and yet are able to shoot a bad guy and win.

The bottom line? I'd rather her be untrained with a 15-round 9mm semi-auto than be untrained with a 6-round 38spl revolver.

Agreed. People should be careful about coming close to requiring training for gun owners, since it's not a requirement for the 2nd amendment. Is it a good idea? Of course! Will you improve your chances of coming out on top of an encounter? Absolutely. But I stop short of making it sound like it should be a requirement - because that type of talk plays right into the hands of the anti's, and only helps make their case for them.

May people never get much, if any training, and don't kill people or get themselves killed. I will always suggest it's best to get at least some training, but I would stop short of making it sound like a requirement.

Wouldn't it likewise be a good idea if every driver took a defensive driving course? Sure it would, but are any of us willing to make that a requirement for all drivers? Probably not.

Wouldn't it likewise be a good idea if every driver took a defensive driving course? Sure it would, but are any of us willing to make that a requirement for all drivers? Probably not.
Some of us who have dickless douchemonkeys that have no business driving try to run us over in the crosswalk on a daily basis would... with a refresher at every license renewal.

Some of us who have dickless douchemonkeys that have no business driving try to run us over in the crosswalk on a daily basis would... with a refresher at every license renewal.

The same douchemonkeys try to run me over too - but taking a class won't change them. Irresponsible is irresponsible, you can't change human behavior if they don't want to change.

I just want her to have a better chance than she does right now, if a group of bangers came through the door. She knows enough to keep the green laser on the bad guy, grip the gun hard, and pull the trigger. She doesn't need to know how to clear a malf to protect herself.

And then I just needed to know how to get a gun into her hands, across a state border, with my money.

And I think I'll just buy it for myself, play with it for awhile, aim the laser, make sure the mags work and the ammo that I buy for her works. Then, when I can be with her for several days to take her to the range with it and such, I'll give it to get through an FFL transfer.

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads