JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to buy a used G17 for my mom, who lives in the Puget Sound area. I see a few different scenarios. Which is the best?

1) Buy a gun from a local seller, do the BGC in my name in Oregon, then drive the gun to her and have her do another BGC with a local FFL.

2) Convince a local seller to meet me at a Vancouver FFL, convince my mom to drive down and meet us at that FFL, pay the guy for the gun and have my mom do the BGC at the same time.

3) Buy a gun locally at an FFL, do the BGC in my name, drive it up to her, and provide it to her on permanent loan.

Are there any options I've ignored? Is option 3 illegal?

If it was my Momma it'd be all like, dang.. I love my Momma and the sun would be blotted with knuckle thugs.
Oh, probably form 39023948 will do ya fine. yea. sure
what?

I want to buy a used G17 for my mom, who lives in the Puget Sound area. I see a few different scenarios. Which is the best?

1) Buy a gun from a local seller, do the BGC in my name in Oregon, then drive the gun to her and have her do another BGC with a local FFL.

2) Convince a local seller to meet me at a Vancouver FFL, convince my mom to drive down and meet us at that FFL, pay the guy for the gun and have my mom do the BGC at the same time.

3) Buy a gun locally at an FFL, do the BGC in my name, drive it up to her, and provide it to her on permanent loan.

If you were a good son you'd throw that Glock in the ditch and be all sporting a Browning Hi-Power on your belt while you fixed up some sunnyside eggs, bacon, toast, waffles, milk, coffee and hashbrowns like a good boy for your mother.
Jesus Christ.

Send her the money, let her buy a gun in her area. No muss no fuss, no straw buyer purchase accusations. Option 2 only works if you give her the money ahead of time, drive to meet at a gun store, and let her perform the entire transaction with you only there as an adviser.

You can gift a firearm to a relative that lives in Oregon without triggering a BGC on the person receiving. I have no idea what the rules are in WA. NOTE: If you buy a gun and ship it out of state, even as a gift, you MUST ship to an FFL.

Last Edited:
I have no worries about straw purchaser stuff. That would only come up if we were behaving as if I am the intended owner and she is just the paperwork person. I'm sure that we would behave as if she is the intended owner and I'm just the person paying...because that would be the truth.

As far as sending her money and having her be alone during the transaction. She is not someone who could handle that. I want to be there with her...need to be.

By the way, I might as well go here. I'm going with Glock double stack because I want her to have a large capacity 9mm and she has big hands that can easily hold a Glock. She won't be training and I don't want anything with a thumb safety. Maybe not even a grip safety like the XD.

Any other good ideas for a less expensive point and shoot? Ruger American?

By the way, I might as well go here. I'm going with Glock double stack because I want her to have a large capacity 9mm and she has big hands that can easily hold a Glock. She won't be training and I don't want anything with a thumb safety. Maybe not even a grip safety like the XD.

Any other good ideas for a less expensive point and shoot? Ruger American?

Hell, buy @WAYNO s practically new Ruger American in the classifieds and gift it too your mom.
The price is so low that it'd be hard to loose money on it...

I have no worries about straw purchaser stuff. That would only come up if we were behaving as if I am the intended owner and she is just the paperwork person. I'm sure that we would behave as if she is the intended owner and I'm just the person paying...because that would be the truth.

As far as sending her money and having her be alone during the transaction. She is not someone who could handle that. I want to be there with her...need to be.
Well you're wrong. That is actually a scenario that went to the Supreme Court. A cop in VA used his LEO discount to buy a Glock and stated to the FFL that it was for his uncle out of state. He transported it to his incle's state and he and his uncle went to a local FFL where cop sold gun to uncle whe underwent background check and paid for gun. AS ABOVE BOARD AS ANYTHING.

The Supreme Court would not overturn his conviction for straw purchase.

The only way I can think of to do it legally is to advise her what to buy and let her do it. Might want to find an FFL local to her that might take the time with her to explain everything really well.

Remember there is a 3 day hold if she doesn't have a CPL also... maybe buying and shipping is the easiest if not the cheapest way.

3-day hold?!?! Did Commufornia flank us?

That's crap. Well, I guess I'd want to plan it so I can be there at the moment of pick-up, not just purchase.

It sounds like option one could be argued as straw purchase, according to the case cited by @Goosebrown .

The STOOPID around here is really getting to me...

If I were doing this, I would buy the gun myself (and have all the requisite paperwork done in my name) then ship it to an ffl near her where she could then have them do the bgc and transfer.
Yes you would have to pay 2 transfer fees, but it would ensure that all laws are being followed to the letter.

Option 2 should be the best way to go. Though since she's a WA resident and, I assume, doesn't have a CPL, she will have the 3-day waiting period to pick it up (as I understand it). By then though, the paperwork would be done, she just has to pick it up after the 3 day wait. At least with that option, you'd be there, in person, to help walk her through the process. Picking it up should be easy for her a few days later rather than having to drive back to Vancouver 3 days later to pick it up. Since you seem to be willing to drive up there, it seems the easiest way to go.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top