JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I had a forum member respond to my want ad for a shotgun. I would like to buy his shotgun. He is new on the forum and located in Seattle, and I am located south of Portland in Oregon.

He wants me to send him money for the shotgun directly, then he'll drop the shotgun at his FFL, to ship to my FFL. I hate this idea, since we don't know each other. I'd rather pay an FFL, since this member and I don't have any history. His phone number also comes back as a google internet phone number, so that feeds my skepticism about him being legitimate.

Is there a better way to do this?

How do you all recommend doing of state deals, private party.

Thanks in advance!

I have a rule, don't ride on more money than you're ok with losing. Everybody has a threshold, and will be different. If he totally flakes out, how big of a pinch will this place you in?

Also, I am careful with who I will accept a transaction like this on. I have a rule of lots of positive reviews and been on the forum for a while.

Again, don't make a deal for more money than you're willing to walk away from.

Even with fuel prices. By the time you pay his FFL your FFL do the BGC and Shipping Just drive up there and buy it. You can do the transaction at his FFL.

Or trust your inner voice and PASS another deal will come along.

If this is a very special or hard to find shot gun then it would be worth the drive to Seattle to meet at his FFL. Worst case your out gas and a days travel.

If this is just a good deal on any shot gun you can get here, then do that and support your local gun store.

I gave sold and shipped many guns from my collection without any problems. What I tell people that are concerned about paying for a gun and having it shipoed is ... go in a shop and buy a gun and dont waste your time and the sellers time talking about how worried you are about the transaction. All transactions have some risk . Limit your risk and stress just buy from a local dealer and be safe.

He wants me to send him money for the shotgun directly, then he'll drop the shotgun at his FFL, to ship to my FFL. I hate this idea, since we don't know each other. I'd rather pay an FFL, since this member and I don't have any history. His phone number also comes back as a google internet phone number, so that feeds my skepticism about him being legitimate.

For what it's worth, this doesn't strike me as too unusual. If I were doing a private party sale, I'd also default to wanting the money sent directly to me. I'd assume using the FFL as a broker would incur even more charges, if you even find one willing to do it. I also use a Google Voice number for things like this so my real number isn't floating around the internet to strangers

Not saying anything against your instincts. Just giving you data points.

If there were an easy way to coordinate me meeting up with the seller, I'd be happy to try to help give you peace of mind. Or, as mentioned earlier, just come up and enjoy a day in the area. I work in Seattle and it's not the Gotham City many here like to portray it as

Thank you to everyone who replied!!!

I work graveyard and just don't have the free time to drive to Seattle, with kids sports on my days off.

This didn't work out because the guy IS a scammer. All of the photos he sent were stolen from Trapshooters.com. He only has two posts on this forum, and they are very generic.

He replied to my want ad where I was looking for a Browning Bt-99 for my son, for Highschool Trap Shooting. He was a bit pushy at first to get the deal done, and that initially turned me off. Then he provided pictures and info for all the specifications I asked about. One shotgun he offered was so unique I was able to find it for sale elsewhere online, and not from him!

For what it's worth, this doesn't strike me as too unusual. If I were doing a private party sale, I'd also default to wanting the money sent directly to me. I'd assume using the FFL as a broker would incur even more charges, if you even find one willing to do it. I also use a Google Voice number for things like this so my real number isn't floating around the internet to strangers

If there were an easy way to coordinate me meeting up with the seller, I'd be happy to try to help give you peace of mind. Or, as mentioned earlier, just come up and enjoy a day in the area. I work in Seattle and it's not the Gotham City many here like to portray it as

I appreciate your insight! Unfortunately this guy is a pure scammer and is just pretending to own the gun, hoping I would send payment. He sent me pictures of two different trap shotguns. I found he had stolen the pictures from another website, and he couldn't provide any other new photos. He was also really pushy, so I passed on the deal.

Did you report his posts to the Mods?? use the red "REPORT" button in the lower corner of his message and explain that the pictures are stolen. He should get the boot from here post haste!!

Did you report his posts to the Mods?? use the red "REPORT" button in the lower corner of his message and explain that the pictures are stolen. He should get the boot from here post haste!!
I did report him to the moderators. Our conversation took place partly over text, so I may need to supply them with the evidence of the copied photos that he sent.

Only after several lengthy texts could you pick up that the person is likely a foreigner, by word choice and syntax errors. He is decently knowledgeable about firearms and has made many recent short comments on other posts on the forum. His few longer posts also have the hallmarks of not being from the US.

Hello all,

I had a forum member respond to my want ad for a shotgun. I would like to buy his shotgun. He is new on the forum and located in Seattle, and I am located south of Portland in Oregon.

Thanks in advance!
That person would go on my ignore list immediately.

I did report him to the moderators. Our conversation took place partly over text, so I may need to supply them with the evidence of the copied photos that he sent.

Only after several lengthy texts could you pick up that the person is likely a foreigner, by word choice and syntax errors. He is decently knowledgeable about firearms and has made many recent short comments on other posts on the forum. His few longer posts also have the hallmarks of not being from the US.
Imma thinking doood is already GONE!
Whack-a-Turd! :s0155:

This is why it is important to give feedback on newish sellers when you buy successfully from them. I have bought from members who have little to no feedback and I gave them positive feedback so that others will know they are not scammers.

On line WTB ads are a red carpet invitation to the scammers.
Why not post your wants at the local trap/skeet clubs ?
There is always a bulletin board available.
If not a member, go out on a public shoot day and tack up your WTB.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
Hard pass for me. Now if he/she/it has been around for years with solid positive feedback that would be different. Too many scammers. It would have to be a mighty fine shotgun for me to make the trip to Seattle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top