JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own 6 bowler hats, a Dobbs Dutton, a low, flared crown Equestrian Top Hat (for special events) I have a custom beaver fur "Whippet" fedora (originally made by Stetson in 1943) that should be delivered by September 5th. This is a custom hat with a "double 'C' crown". (Mike Miller of www.northwesthats.com calls the crown on another custom fedora "seeing double"). I also have several caps and about 4 other hats. Tomorrow I'll order my last bowler (by Magill Hats of Montreal Quebec, Canada ("camel" tan with chocolate ribbon binding the brim and the main hat ribbon). This is being purchased as part of my stage costume, but it will also be worn with a brown sports jacket, dress shirt, and slacks. It looks great and should last a lifetime.

Is anyone else addicted to headgear?

Last Edited:
What a relief. Hats are no problem! I feared the worst lol. I thought this thread was going to be about you giving in to the addiction that has messed up so many of our nation's young adults. Even afflicting the middle aged and elderly possessing bad judgement and weakness to peer pressure and societal norms. That's right, I thought you ordered a Gen 5 Glock.

Hats are unfortunately a largely lost fashion. What a shame.

I turn heads every day. Wearing a dress shirt, sports jacket, and slacks. I generally top a blue or black sports jacket, with either a black or navy blue bowler. (I'll change to a fedora occasionally). I'm always being complimented on my clothes. I swear, this town would be naked if they ever ran out of denim and ball caps.

If it's raining, I'll switch to my "Dobbs-in-the-rain" cotton duck trilby. If I'm feeling casual I have some either cheap Chinese duckbill brown or gray caps or a cotton pork pie. It depends upon the state of the sky.

I like me some hats too Captain. But in the summer I'm partial to a straw hat and in the winter a wool felt hat.
Fedoras are awesome with enough brim, and the right brim shape. I prefer them to roll down in the back rather than up.
Lately my favorite hat regardless of material is the Aussie/Outback style. I prefer my hat brim to roll downwards front-to-back, and never up, even on the sides. Oh, and plenty of brim please.

Kinda like this:
9H19-Brown_grande.png

But without a hat of some kind, I'm not fully dressed. Even if it's only a visor.

Oddly before I went chrome dome I wore hats all the time. Now that I'm a smoothy I only wear hats to protect my pate from the sun and my dermo doesn't think I wear them near enough (I really don't, been top burned a few times this summer). I like hats, always thought they add something to a wardrobe (barring baseball caps). I have a couple fedora's and a Stetson I wear in the woods in the fall /winter and a couple clingy stocking caps to keep my ears warm. While I don't practice the art of hat wearing I do appreciate it and would love to see Cap O strutting around Col Co in his latest regalia (though not royalty he could be called a Prince if we so desire :)).

I really like the Aussie styles of wool/felt with the sides able to button up. I also really like my MHT beaver felt western hats, looks really swell with a western cut sports coat and slacks!:)

I have my light brown Magill bowler (with the chocolate bound edge and ribbon) on order September 1st. (I spoke with John Helmer Jr today). He expects delivery by September 30-October 1st. This will be #7 of my collection and the last for a while.

Most buyers are paying $200.00 for a rabbit fur bespoke hat. Had John Helmer had this in stock, I could have paid only $165.00 but this was a "special order" (one-off) bowler manufactured for me. $190.00 is the grand sum and total for the new headgear.

It will be worth it.

I have a Panama that I generally wear on hot summer days, and caps when it's too hot. Wool "Ivy Driving" caps on <broken link removed> are $13.98 instead of $39.95. and I bought one a while ago.
I recommend visiting his website for a great value on expensive hats. (He's a fantastic vendor out of Ripon, California).

If you want good hats of all kinds, go look into Half Price Pauly's website. You'll be glad you did.

Last Edited:
of course.....and I'm still a fan of the derby....

If you want the very best value for the dollar, go to www.northwesthats.com and look at Mike Miller's website. His custom made rabbit fur hats run $250.00 his beaver fur hats run $275.00 + shipping to your door. (Beaver fur hats generally run $611.00-$1000.00 so Mike Miller's work is a screaming deal for a "bespoke" hat).

If you are looking for a lifetime investment in a hat, look no further.

I wear a black Flex-Fit Tiffin Motorhome hat everyday, even at work. I don't work for Tiffin, a friend of mine does. I was in the RV industry for about 7 years and frankly I like the hat. It didn't cost me a dime. :)

BTW, I could care less about compliments or otherwise. I'm bald, so I cover the top with a lid. Yep, it's a baseball hat. Shame on me, I coach ball and that's what we wear. ;)

I wear a black Flex-Fit Tiffin Motorhome hat everyday, even at work. I don't work for Tiffin, a friend of mine does. I was in the RV industry for about 7 years and frankly I like the hat. It didn't cost me a dime. :)

BTW, I could care less about compliments or otherwise. I'm bald, so I cover the top with a lid. Yep, it's a baseball hat. Shame on me, I coach ball and that's what we wear. ;)

If you like wearing a ball cap, that's fine. Whatever melts your butter. There's nothing wrong with them. I couldn't see myself wearing one to church.

I bought my first Lincoln Bennet of London bowler in 1975. I really enjoy nicer clothes because it makes me feel good. Dressing well is my way of enjoying life. (And yes, I have a bald spot on the top of my head. At nearly 63 it is almost inevitable).

I haven't had a pair of jeans in my closet in over 2 years. I troll the thrift stores for high-end sports jackets. I get a bargain price for most of the jackets I buy. ($4.75 for a nice jacket in good shape fits both me and my budget).

I go to a clearance store for shirts. (New from $9.50 to 12.50 each helps me keep looking good while not killing my wallet).

Wal Mart's "George" brand slacks help keep me clothed without taking food from my mouth.

Outside of my hats, most of my clothing costs less than the jeans and graphic t-shirts most people buy, so I think that I look pretty good without spending beaucoup dollars on clothing that looks as if I'm panhandling on Portland's West Burnside street.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top