JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About 1 month ago after the big rains, I was walking past mill creek bridge on Winter st N.E. in downtown Salem and I looked down and there was hundreds of huge fish just hanging out there.
I've walked by this bridge for 10 years and never seen 1 fish, and here was hundreds.
Here is the description; they were about 18-24" long with a bright yellow blaze along the side. Their head was catfish shaped a wide mouth. They ate all the algae in sight and would get in groups of 3 or 4 and wiggle rapidly together.
They were the neighborhood mystery for about 2 weeks then in they disappeared.
What was that about?

You might try one of the fishing forums or Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife. What you describe sounds like some kind of catfish species, but I don't recall seeing one with a bright yellow blaze.

The fish that you are describing sound like Carp. They are common in Oregon in lakes and streams. I have caught many. Look them up and you will probably find what you are looking for.

carp.....nasty garbage fish, but some people eat them.

Speaking of suckmo's, ever seen plecho's that have gotten loose in open water? I've seen em in drainage ditches after the summer irrigation season ends and they are pretty scary looking at around 10-12 inches lol.

I looked at the pictures of the Suckers and it might have been them, but more yellowy on the sides. The text says they are an indication of a clean stream or creek as they won't hang around pollution. Maybe the creeks downtown are coming back.

They were suckers. They come up the streams in July-august to spawn. There can be hundreds or even thousands. They will *flash* to their side and flash a gold shimmer. They are usually about 12-18 inches long, but can appear larger in the water.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top