JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I also inherited this revolver from my dad who inherited it from my grandfather. It's in pretty poor shape and I'm planning to restore it. I've spent several hours online and I believe it is an Iver Johnson manufactured DEFENDER 89 .22 spur trigger revolver and I'm wanting to confirm that, but tracking down a manufacture date has proved elusive.

It is marked "DEFENDER" on top of the frame.

Serial number 124X

Any help in confirming identity would be greatly appreciated!

Pics below.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

That's exactly what it is, but I think you'll have a real time trying to get an actual date of mfg. Not many records exist for them and stopped being produced a few years prior to 1900. They were mainly sold... even by olden standards... as cheapo pocket pistols. They made several variations and different barrel lengths. With that grip I would guess somewhere in the later years (pre 1895-ish), but that's just a guess.

If it has significant sentimental value, it might be fun restoring, but they are still "cheap" guns for collectors. A pretty decent one can go for 75-100, but even the ultra great condition ones don't go for more than a couple 100... that I've seen. Considering the amount of work that would go into that one... it can really only be a labor of love. Being such... I wouldn't worry about trying to preserve any historical value and really do it back up to as near as new condition as possible. An excellent wall hanger family heirloom talking piece.

I'm no authority. Just been around a long time. I think your serial # reads 245. What looks like a "1" appears to be a defect/artifact. If that's the case then it would certainly be nearer to the 1895 cutoff date than earlier.-

That's exactly what it is, but I think you'll have a real time trying to get an actual date of mfg. Not many records exist for them and stopped being produced a few years prior to 1900. They were mainly sold... even by olden standards... as cheapo pocket pistols. They made several variations and different barrel lengths. With that grip I would guess somewhere in the later years (pre 1895-ish), but that's just a guess.

If it has significant sentimental value, it might be fun restoring, but they are still "cheap" guns for collectors. A pretty decent one can go for 75-100, but even the ultra great condition ones don't go for more than a couple 100... that I've seen. Considering the amount of work that would go into that one... it can really only be a labor of love. Being such... I wouldn't worry about trying to preserve any historical value and really do it back up to as near as new condition as possible. An excellent wall hanger family heirloom talking piece.

I'm no authority. Just been around a long time. I think your serial # reads 245. What looks like a "1" appears to be a defect/artifact. If that's the case then it would certainly be nearer to the 1895 cutoff date than earlier.-
Thank you!!!

I found this. The lot at auction sold all together for $1200.
1671343391604.png

None are an exact match to yours, but like I said... they did all kinds of variations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top