JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone "up to speed" with the German Mauser actions, styles, dates (range?) of manufacture, that sort of thing? I've got a German Mauser hunting rifle in .270 Win, stamped on receiver as such, an unusual two-part bolt system (another piece slides back with the bolt, which piece rides above and toward the back part of the bolt, riding in a groove in the receiver. The whole mess comes off when the bolt is removed. I believe it was built as a sporting rifle, and not a converted or sporterised military model. Barrel is "normal" length. I'm curious as to what I've got. The action/bolt and bore all appear to have very little use, everything is tight and smooth, and it is spot-on accurate. Sweet piece, and I'd love to learn more about it. Any help, ideas, things to look for, specific questions or details to observe? thanks for any responses, help, details....

The "two-piece" bolt part that you describe sounds like a bolt cover, designed to keep unwanted dust and other nastiness out of the action.

Got any pictures? Pics of any proof marks or other markings would help with the ID.

Japanese military rifles (sorta-Mauserish) and maybe some others had action covers like you describe. If in 270 Win, it would likely be a type 99, not a type 38.

Look here:
<broken link removed>

Bruce

Without pix it's a guess, but I'll bet you have a Mauser model 66. Do a Google and
take a look--there were lot's of variations but they all had that block at the
rear or the action that worked with the bolt.

BillM, you've nailed it, and silly me, had I done a thorough inspection of the action/barrel I'd have got that. After reading these replies I got it out.. nope, not a G98 action..... looking for details on the rifle itself, I did find this: "Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a.N. Mod.66".

So, that's what it is, and I could have got that had I looked more closely. Next, and I'll check the google route straightaway, is approximate year made, and hopefully some idea of value.

Thanks to everyone for the help and input. I appreciate it a lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top