JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Update: Somebody asked, so I thought I'd mention that barrels for the Mossberg 590a1 will fit the 835. The catch is that the 835 can chamber 3.5" magnum shells, but the 590a1 can only shoot 3" shells. So if you put a 590a1 barrel on your 835, do NOT use 3.5" shells. Otherwise it is great, because you can have a home defense/slug barrel and a magnum barrel for the same gun. Mossberg part number for 18.5" 590a1 barrel is #95332 (no choke), and #95330 (with AccuChoke system).

Hey guys. I just bought an 18.5" barrel for my Mossberg 835 thru an online retailer, and it does not look new. In fact, it was dirty when I cleaned it:huh:. Below is the description of the issues I sent to the seller. I plan on getting them to exchange it for a new barrel, but I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what caused the river-looking defect? Just something I haven't seen before, so I thought I'd throw it up. See pics below. The pics are the best I could do. :eek:

There are a few spots on top of the barrel where the parkerizatoin has worn a little thin and looks silver, as though there was something riding there for some time. Also, the interior of the barrel was dirty with carbon fouling. At the chamber end, before the barrel narrows, the bore shows some roughness, as though having been fired a number of times.

Most troubling is that down the length of the bore, there is some staining of the bore where it appears that some liquid pooled at the bottom of the barrel for a very long time. I tried Hoppe's #9, CLP, and Hoppes Copper Solvent. None of these cleaners appeared to have even begun to lift the stain. In fact, it is difficult to tell whether the stain is on the surface or if it has roughened the bore already. I've attached some pictures (the best I could do) to try and illustrate that this bore is not in new condition. All pictures taken from the chamber end looking down the bore.

View attachment 204322

View attachment 204323

View attachment 204324

View attachment 204325

So what do you guys think?

Last Edited:
I would guess (not seeing it in person with perfect lighting) that someone let a substance (perhaps even water) pool in the barrel while is laid on its side for a very long time causing corrosion. I would definitely get them to exchange the barrel. About the only thing that could even come close to cleaning that out (if it's rust) is Naval Jelly. But you would still have some pitting and roughness inside the barrel. That is unacceptable.

Just shipped it off to Mossberg this morning. Must have been a factory mishap, as the retailer showed me that he had shipped me the barrel in the same box he got it in from Mossberg, never even have removed it himself. Hopefully I'll get a new barrel in the mail in a few weeks.

I was thinking the damage must have been something othe than water, because how could it have gotten wet at the factory? Who knows.

It should have never passed QA/QC. It seems likely that they use any number of fluids during the finishing process and whatever means they use to make an even finish and not pool (like a roller rack) did not work in this instance.

elsie

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top