JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking into buying this from my father inlaw but we dont know anything about it. It has been sitting in his safe for 25+ years.It looks like all the info on this gun is right under the front scope mount and i cant seem to get the screws out right now.
Any info would be a great help.
Thanks

rifle 003.jpg

rifle 004.jpg

rifle 006.jpg

rifle 005.jpg

The right hand bolt configuration looks like a 1917 US Enfield while the left side of the receiver tooks like a Mauser action. Is the caliber 30 06? The floor plate assembly also looks like an Enfield.

It is an Enfield, either 1917 US or pattern 14 British...

If the barrel has been changed, you should have the chamber cast to be sure it's .30-06 and not .303 British or another caliber...

Sporterized rifles can be very nice, this one is likely "heavy". Always weight the cost of buying one against buying a new and modern rifle, even if the modern one was somewhat used. A sporterized 1917 etc. could be very nice, but they really have to be in excellant conditon for any money spent. The 1917 configuration was no where as "accurate" as the 1903's. I think they shot about 3-4" groups at 100 yards. If this one was professionally bedded, it may do better. Be careful on buying someting this old against a more modern rifle! Building up and refinishing an old rifle may not be worth the trouble.

Funny, I have a friend who shot service rifle matches with an original condition 1917. He seemed to do okay with it (better than 3 to 4 inches, and at further distances). Always be careful with overly broad statements as to what guns can or cannot do.

That being said, if I this rifle was offered for sale to me, I would probably be comfortable paying somewhere between $150 and $225 depending on how it looked in person.

most definetely an Enfield Pattern 17. I bought one 2 years ago and couldn't identify it either. Took it to a local shop and they identified it on the spot. They pulled out the blue book of firearms and showed me a sporterized price of roughly 350ish and an original collector grade of over 1500. You know how to pull the bolt out right?

Enfield. Amongst the strongest of military bolt-actions, and a favorite for sporterizing prior and after WWII. There is nothing about the action itself that would result in poor accuracy. With a good barrel and good bedding, a custom Enfield can run with the best on paper. Enfields were very often converted to magnum calibers in respect for their inherent strength.

Its not a Lee Enfield. Its simply an enfield. Either P14 or 1917. Assuming the OP is correct that it is a .30-06, then that would more than likely make it a 1917 (the p14 was a British rifle in the .303 Brit caliber). It is not a commercial Remington Model 30, as they came with a flat, straight bottom metal. That is also why I gave the value estimate I did. If this were a full, first class sporterization (no offense, my grandfather sporterized rifles like this as well), then the bottom metal would have been cut, straightened, and rewelded before being inletted into a new stock.

Its still a nice rifle on a well built action. Since its a family gun, its worth it to you...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top