JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shoot it and keep it for a while. Great guns. I got my new SKS in the late 80's for $50 and 500rds for an extra $5. It has the Bakelite jungle stock. Took a while to get all the cosmoline out of it though o_O
I think about selling it from time to time, but just cant do it yet......

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the info, it came with some ak style 20 round mags, they don't have a lug though, I'm assuming they are fixed mags, correct?
Yours is currently a 10 round fixed mag. Remove the trigger assembly, remove box mag, then replace trigger. You could now use detachable mags that have a duck bill on them. If they function. Leave the original mag. on and use stripper clips. They are cheaper any way. FYI, there are SKS's that use AK47 mags. I did a thread on one I got last month.

Anyone know what these are? They came with the sks, kinda like ak mags with no lug. image.jpeg

Never seen that type of magazine in regards to the sks. When I got mine, Tapco put out those removable magazines with the duckbill on them. My friend got a couple for his Russian sks, and they were not very reliable, but they may have improved over the last 25 years. I know there were some that were modified to use AK mags, but I haven't any experiences with them. I have also heard of fixed mags of 5 and 20 capacity that were supposed to be as reliable as the original, but they were rare and hard to find. If you find out more, let us know! :)

I did watch several years ago a YouTube vid of some tactical d00d doing a simulated urban live fire with an sks and stripper clips, and he could reload it pretty fast.

I love the simplicity of the rifle, how easy it is to take down, and the clackety-clank of the bolt. A real battle rifle, and pretty much one of the last of the semi-only types designed and used before full or select fire took over. That made it obsolete before it was even issued, like the .30-03 and the .30-06.

Never seen that type of magazine in regards to the sks. When I got mine, Tapco put out those removable magazines with the duckbill on them. My friend got a couple for his Russian sks, and they were not very reliable, but they may have improved over the last 25 years. I know there were some that were modified to use AK mags, but I haven't any experiences with them. I have also heard of fixed mags of 5 and 20 capacity that were supposed to be as reliable as the original, but they were rare and hard to find. If you find out more, let us know! :)

I did watch several years ago a YouTube vid of some tactical d00d doing a simulated urban live fire with an sks and stripper clips, and he could reload it pretty fast.

I love the simplicity of the rifle, how easy it is to take down, and the clackety-clank of the bolt. A real battle rifle, and pretty much one of the last of the semi-only types designed and used before full or select fire took over. That made it obsolete before it was even issued, like the .30-03 and the .30-06.
They are definitely shorter than 30 round ak mags, I'll have to keep digging. In gunna shoot it Sunday, we will see if it's a love affair to of it ends up in the classifieds lol.

DSC_0206.JPG
I run a great SKS group with world wide members, and the 2016 - 2017 consensus is don't sell. From 1965-2006 the SKS did not go up in price more then a few dollars even in other countries the rifle was to some a junk gun. Bite my tongue.
But since 2007 until now the rifles have gone from about 119.00 to up to $400 for just a basic Norinco and some M&D's fetching prices higher then AK-47's. Why prices vary here in Oregon where Russians are harder to get can fetch $500.00 or more. And yes there are still many selling for 250.00 still the market is flooded and getting prices exceeding 350.00 thats huge mark up in the last ten years compared to the previous 40. The assault weapons ban helped the popularity and with Oregon and WA looking here at there at Hicap limits the SKS is a formidable rifle fully self contained and basically can be field stripped tooless. Why its a person rifle to buy and sell as they please many are not watching the market or politics tha affect this rifle in California its one of the few rifles and the only in that caliber unmolested for the most part by the legislation there yet as we know it will destroy a cinder-block just like and AK-47 or variant.
Our group has experts as well as many hardcore owners, by the way I like the Survivors group too we have several members in our group from there. Its a great site as well as Yoopers.com for resources.
Parts in America are rising as well just check ebay 15.00 10rd mags are fetching 40 and up and 20rd stars are getting over 100.00 where once there we just around 25 a few years ago. The gun is gaining huge popularity and why many of us have always known what a great rifle it truly is more and more newbies are getting them. I would say 2 out of 5 of our new members have never owned a SKS. Love the rifle I find it superior to most other semi-auto due to its simplicity and the fact its built like a tank but as easy to maintain as a cup of coffee.

Last Edited:
It is a sporterized military rifle (which already has an arsenal stamp)converted in China, though a few may have been done here.

I thought the paratrooper conversions were all done Stateside in the 1970's.

I had a 1968 Norinco Arsenal 26 that I bought for $200 and sold for $350. I recently acquired a Zastava m59/66a1 from Cabelas for $399. This "a1" variant has flip up night sights, so I was willing to pay a little bit more. So anywhere from $350-$450 is probably a good going rate for the SKS.

Whatever you do, don't modify it - terrible advice. The SKS is a cool little piece of Cold War History meant to be shot for fun and enjoyed for what it is. If you are preparing to go to war there are better platforms available that don't require any mods. I just hate it when people destroy old firearms.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top