JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd have no problem using one as a brush gun on the west side for deer...

I know Russians use them on moose etc but I wouldn't want to take one elk hunting.

There are many instances where the SKS is a great deer gun, especially in WA and OR brush where you seldom get any large opening needing a hunting style rifle. The round its self is very capable of taking down large game but the SKS its would require pretty close distance to be fatal where needed. That said the 7.62x39 round in a CZ-527 would be perfectly fine for and elk as the distance for the round is increased greatly. A moose? Hmmm take the 7mm Mag .

I am fairly certain they were reintroduced in mass in the early 90's with the modification done by the exporter in response to the "recall" of the MAK 90 by the ATF due to full auto concerns. I also believe there were still some smaller importers doing the conversion, but it was cheaper (and required less oversight) to have it done in China.

Ya I took it out shootIng, it was a fun little carbine no doubt, I'm just into more modern stuff, but I do appreciate the relics and it says on the long list for sure, I got 450$ for it so I'm happy. I have a arsenal akm that I love though, definitely love me some comblock weapons lol.

I'd have no problem using one as a brush gun on the west side for deer...

I know Russians use them on moose etc but I wouldn't want to take one elk hunting.
All the russians i know do some pretty questionable things. one thing i know about the russians: dont ask questions.

120.jpg one of my Russians i converted to a Bullpup. really changes the handling of the rifle and makes it more fun to shoot. it now resides at my Arizona property due to the stupid new laws down here. be relocating to Arizona soon.

ok took my other Russian $89.00 sks to the range today. ammo used was the Wolff poly performance 123 FMJ the other ammo is Silver Bear 123 FMJ. Silver Bear has always been the tighter shooting of all the Russian made ammo that i have used. well i was amazed today with the Wolff ammo because the last time i shot Wolff ammo in either of these guns it was the Wolff Classic and i could not get it to group. well this poly performance ammo supprised me. it's grouping close to the Silver Bear ammo. the other ammo i have that's made in Russia is the Hollow point which groups like double ot buck in a 12 gauge at 100 yards. what the poly means is instead of a laquer coated case it is now poly coated. so cleaner chambers. on the poly performance target the 5 shots at the bottom of the bullseye is because i was aiming at the six oclock position on the bullseye for some reason i thought the Wolff ammo was going to shoot high. the rest i amied at the center of the bullseye. both targets were shot at 100 yards. scope is a old Tasco TR 6-24X40 stock is a Tapco, deflector shield is also Tapco. this rifle will also reside in Arizona before july 1st when the new draconian laws go into efect. pretty soon we will be resigned to Sling Shots using nerf balls.
Rick
20180618_170434 (2).jpg 20180618_170112.jpg 20180618_170052.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads