Help fixing a cracked stock?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by clearconscience, Jun 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

This is what I was thinking. In my work with wood (such as building/repairing slingshots) in the past, to fix a damaged fork, and to make it as strong or stronger than the original wood, I would drill it, pin it and use 2-part epoxy for the repair, likely with a little bit of wood dust (from sanding, the same color as the wood being repaired) mixed in the epoxy. Seemed that type of repair held up best under stress. But what @jbett98 recommending regarding drilling and pinning is exactly what I was going to recommend. It will make for a very strong repair.

2. rdb241

rdb241
    Puyallup Washington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

My thought when I saw this thread. I would add that they make a thinner Gorrila Super Glue. I would very gently try to open the crack ever so slightly and use the above super glue. Don't be afraid to fill the crack well. So it will run down into the crack. Then use a wood clamp. Wipe of the extra glue. Let dry and sand. I have laminated many wood things using Gorrila Glue and I think it works better than Elmer's glue. I have yet to have a repair fail. Dressers, chairs, picture frames, you name it.

DirectDrive and Joe13 like this.
  3. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA

So I glued and clamped with gorilla wood glue (actually had some laying around) and then put the first coat on. Just put the forst coat of poly on the cob grip, and first coat of stain on the buttstock.

I'll post some better photos when I'm done

IMG_5843.JPG IMG_6111.JPG IMG_6112.JPG IMG_6113.JPG

Flymph, Joe13, Stomper and 4 others like this.
  4. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2017 Volunteer

That turned out great! nice job.:)

For future reference they make glue syringes. They make things like this really easy to get the glue where you need it and then clamp. they are cheap and a one time use so it doesn't matter which glue you use in it. Again nice job it looks great.

5. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA

This is how it ended up so far. I ended up not liking the stock and sanded it down again, filed it a little and stained, then poly again.
    Have a couple more coats to put on but I'm pretty happy with it

IMG_6210.JPG

Joe13, Stomper, SKrueger and 3 others like this.
  6. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX
    West of Portland from England
    Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's a really good look, i like it.

Joe13 and SKrueger like this.
  7. Velzey

Velzey
    Estacada Gunsmith
    Büchsenmacher Bronze Vendor

Looks great!
    I am a gun smith and this is how I repair stocks that are broken in the wrist area.
    I always always always pin a crack repair in the wrist area. Stocks take allot of abuse.
    Any type of wood glue deteriorates after a while and cracks and crumbles. I don't like it!
    I use clear slow cure epoxy, drill it (for a pin) from the bottom up into the cracked part, separate it as much as I can and use a heat gun on it, get it hot and start applying the epoxy. Let it thin out and seep in. I use a small fleet of dental picks to get the glue way in there.
    The pin, should be .010 smaller than the hole (or so). Also make the pin so it sits .062 or so below the surface.
    Once the epoxy is thoroughly spread press it together, slather the pin with epoxy and slide it up in place. Clamp it all and wipe off excess. Then let it set for a day or two.
    I then remove the buttplate, take a 3/32" hole punch and remove a plug. Then fit the plug into the hole over the pin.
    Sand, stain if needed and finish.

Simple.

Below is a pic of the type of punch I use to make a plug.

hole puncher #0.jpg

CLT65, Joe13, ma96782 and 7 others like this.
  8. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

Thats good info thanks for sharing Velzey:)

Joe13, F2CMaDMaXX, Velzey and 2 others like this.
  9. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

@clearconscience Stock looks great! Can't wait to see the complete shotgun. :)

Joe13, etrain16 and AndyinEverson like this.
  10. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

That's very similar to how I learned to do it from some experienced wood workers, glad to hear it is a process favored by Master Velzey! I like that butt (stock) plug idea. And the heat gun idea is new to me, I'll have to try that next time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Joe13, Velzey, SKrueger and 1 other person like this.
  11. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA

So this isn't perfect, but I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. When I started looking into a Shotgun this is what I imagined and it became reality.
    Thanks for all the help NWFA community!

IMG_6232.JPG IMG_6233.JPG IMG_6237.JPG

CLT65, Joe13, ma96782 and 7 others like this.
  12. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX
    West of Portland from England
    Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

That's a very distinctive look, not what i would have imagined, but i love the colouring and finish on the wood, nice one.

13. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

What, no provisions for a bayonet?! o_O

:D

14. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

If it functions and you like it thats all that matters. I happen to think it turned out great.

15. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I'm very impressed man!

I'd like a shotgun like that looked like that for sure;):cool:.

Stomper, AndyinEverson and SKrueger like this.