JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
first off she is highly capable but with arthritis that limits her ability to handle recoil. not enough strength to handle semi's and lever would be to tough on hands.

leaning towards showing her the "judge" 410 set up. any body out there see anything interesting that might help her out. all suggestions appreciated.

How about a PK380? It has very little recoil and is very easy to rack. Adding a flashlight or laser would add some more weight and reduce the recoil even more.

The only problem would be loading the magazine. She may not be capable of pushing the rounds and overcome the magazine spring.

The size of the 22 would be fine if you are close enough to help her reload when needed. I do suggest a 22lr 9 shot revolver with laser grips.

A 380 would be too much reciol, even the PK380, which is a wonderful weapon. And there is still the reload issue

Good topic. My wife has some arthritis in her hands, so I have some idea
what your friend is dealing with.

22 auto. Ruger 22-45, Buckmark, Neos. My wife runs a Neos for steel
challenge matches. I put a side racker on the slide. She has no problems
loading the magazines.

1911. Yup---sounds a litle weird. My wife is currently running a full size
Colt Series 70 9mm in USPSA Single Stack division. 10 lb recoil spring, she doesn't have any issues. Currently her "favorite gun":)

Revolver. I usually advocate a 4" 38/357 for HD. However the arthritis
may be a problem here. My wife has problems with a revolver.

Shotgun. Pump is a possibility. Pretty easy to operate. Mossberg makes
a cute little .410 short barreled pump that would be worth looking at.

or----double barrel "coach gun". Loaded up with reduced recoil or trap
loads it might do the trick.

Let us all know what you find that works.

Do you mean the Circuit Judge Carbine that is discussed here on another thread? Myself, I think it looks great for this situation! But I do think that the Judge handguns will all recoil terribly for her.

I too have arthritic hands and really feel the recoil. I can still handle 9mm and .380, but I FEEL it later. My favorite revolver round is the .32 H&R Magnum, and it might be right for your Lady. The cartridges are big enough to handle easily, quite potent for the size (equivilent delivered energy to most non-plus-P .38 Special loads), yet have a relatively mild recoil, especially in a steel revolver. I favor an airweight three-inch S&W Centennial SIX shooter in .32 H&R because it has a very soft and smooth trigger action, with Crimson Trace LaserGrips. Taurus, Charter Arms and Ruger also make compact six-shot revolvers in .32 H&R. but I have not handled them. You are honored for your efforts to help her out!.........................elsullo :s0155:

.22 would be difficult to load due to round size, thank you for the thought all the same.

My buckmark has a nob on the magazine that you pull down,making it very easy to load the mags.

I have friends that use either a 22lr or Mag for defense
If she is anticipating the recoil,which she will be with arthritis ,she needs a very light caliber to shoot.
Otherwise she will not shoot it well.

With proper shot placement,the 22lr can be a deadly weapon.
If she buys plenty of magazines,I'm sure she can find someone to load them.

I'd second the M1 carbine Idea. not cheap unless you find a beat up Inland. But they are short light easy to run around in a narrow hallway. can be fired at an in home distance from the hip easy to rack the bolt with the handle sticking out to the side like it does. Recoil in minimal loads with a 100gr HP would make a heck of a hole maker. And with a 15rd Mag she shoulded need to reload at all. Racking that bolt will have the same effect as running the pump on a shot gun. INTENSE FEAR IN THE BAD GUY.

My mother-in-law (she does not have arthritis and is mid 70's) she will shoot a full size 9mm Glock, Spring and spring 1911 with no prob. I got her a 38 smith light or air not sure but she shot it once and handed it back and no thanks that's too much snap for me.

I think a 22mag 8 or 9 shot or load a Glock 17 for her with 17 or 33rd mag and tell her to point and shoot.

My dad is 90 and has a M1 carbine and a Glock 17
for defense. He has severe osteoporosis and he
has concluded the carbine is now to much for him.
We looked the market over and concluded the Kel-Tec
Sub-2000 in 9mm, Glock 17 mags, best fit his needs.
Now trying to find one from a WA FFL.

My dad is 90 and has a M1 carbine and a Glock 17
for defense. He has severe osteoporosis and he
has concluded the carbine is now to much for him.
We looked the market over and concluded the Kel-Tec
Sub-2000 in 9mm, Glock 17 mags, best fit his needs.
Now trying to find one from a WA FFL.

You might also look for a used Marlin Camp 9 Carbine. It also is a blowback 9mm, NOT for Plus P ammo, but it includes a replaceable rubber buffer which reduces felt recoil. It has the same shape and "manual of arms" as the M1 Carbine, but it uses pistol magazines. Most of the Camp 9s were set up for Smith & Wesson model 59 series magazines, but some used Glock mags, I think. It's a really light and handy gun, but not often seen for sale anymore---folks won't let go of them!...........................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top