JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Video below. Not sure if an ammo problem, magazine problem, feed problem.

This is happening with Hornady critical defense rounds, not FMJs. Other JHPs are untested.

If I nudge the first round out as far as it can go while still clearing the magazine channel, it chambers decently.

However, if the round is seating back into the magazine, the slide pulls it forward and it ends up going down into the feed ramp and gets stuck.

What're your thoughts?
View attachment B7C1BEE1-1E8F-44A0-8F22-45ABE31C7308.MOV

Does it do that with all your magazines, or just that one?

On all of my mags the lip that hold the bullet, and guides it to the feed ramp, go further up the mag than yours.

If i were to guess, as soon as the bullet clears the lips, the slide is forcing the back of the bullet up, causing it to nose-dive.

Try a different mag?

Presentation1.jpg

Does it do that with all your magazines, or just that one?

On all of my mags the lip that hold the bullet, and guides it to the feed ramp, go further up the mag than yours.

If i were to guess, as soon as the bullet clears the lips, the slide is forcing the back of the bullet up, causing it to nose-dive.

Try a different mag?

View attachment 650649

All of my mags, but they're all the same brand (Dan Wesson branded, Checkmate made).

I think I just found the issue though. Maybe.

If I slide the first round forward a bit, it chambers well. Subsequent rounds are all moved forward by virtue of some operation:

IMG_7473.JPG

That being said, I think the real problem is the round itself. I don't have any issues feeding with Federal HST rounds, and took this comparison shot:

IMG_7475.JPG

The left round is Federal HST, the middle a Hornady Critical Defense, and the right is a Hornady that has gone though this issue. Apparently, the slide is hitting the bullet and forcing it even further back into the casing. Given the shorter size of the round in the first place, I imagine this exacerbate this problem for the same round.

The red plastic in the Hornady is also squishy feeling. Instead of metal on metal at the feed ramp there is metal on squishy, which can't help things.

Well...off to go fire off some stock of Hornady and swap over to Federal.

If it doesn't like those, I bet it won't like flatter hollow points either.

Also, toss or disassemble those rounds. They could cause a catastrophic failure being the bullets got pushed inward causing higher pressures.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top