JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My FIL is a very smart man, no wordsmith talked him into this. He is also rather Connected through out the community, I'm positive he already talked to more than one lawyer. My wife said he tried everything in his power to keep this from happening. I realize this isn't really the case, but his hands are tied and he doesn't want to fight in court.

He may have tried everything that he could have thought of but missed the one
most important word.

NO, followed by Leave NOW. !

His hands were not tied. he was intimidated into compliance.

Yep, me thinks something was missed here. It appears the city needs tenants consent, without that...and the owner not giving consent, it won't happen.

I agree with Taku, it appears FIL may have folded like a lawn chair.

I'd opt out of whatever kind of pattycake shenanigans that is.. they'd need a warrant. pretty simple

Is this a section eight or some kind of government subsidized housing "deal"? (I didn't read the whole thread).

My FIL is a very smart man, no wordsmith talked him into this. He is also rather Connected through out the community, I'm positive he already talked to more than one lawyer. My wife said he tried everything in his power to keep this from happening. I realize this isn't really the case, but his hands are tied and he doesn't want to fight in court.
How are any hands tied? It clearly says on there website, "consent required". Without some sort of consent they are breaking the law.

I think all the help available on this topic has been exhausted.

These inspectors should spend more time inspecting the apartments over in Rockwood. The ones where the GPD never go without backup.

The tenant can refuse to cooperate with the inspector, but it will then fall back to the landlord to allow egress to the property.
It all comes down to money. How long will the owner hold out until the fines become excessive enough that they eventually comply.

Frame a copy of the Constitution, gift wrap it and next time they knock, hand it to them with a note "Read it" and close the door and go about your life.

Alternate plan :)
Hire a couple of attorneys, (specialized in Constitutional Law) and put them in security uniforms armed to the teeth and place them at each entrance. :D

You hit the nail on the head Taku.

The 4th amendment applies here. Just because these "inspector(s)" aren't cops doesn't mean they aren't part of the government. Since they are part of the government, they have to follow the constitution just like the cops do.

What's more is you and your FIL don't have to even talk to them. Refer to the 1st and 5th amendments.

We have the same inspections of rentals in the salem area. I manage 40 rentals and any three consecutive rentals under the same ownership, ( three plex, four plex, three rental houses in a row, etc.), are inspected every five years. I attend all inspections and they really are looking for hazardous conditions like GFCI plugs not working properly, correctly functioning smoke detectors, mold or mildew situations, etc.

We make every effort to keep all of our rentals in top notch condition with our own annual inspections but these city inspections do find some things that need to be addressed. I have heard a lot of stories from renters that former landlords refused to spend money on hazardous situations which is why these inspections were started.

I don't see any conspiracy going on here......we have never had any reason to contest one of these inspections.

We have the same inspections of rentals in the salem area. I manage 40 rentals and any three consecutive rentals under the same ownership, ( three plex, four plex, three rental houses in a row, etc.), are inspected every five years. I attend all inspections and they really are looking for hazardous conditions like GFCI plugs not working properly, correctly functioning smoke detectors, mold or mildew situations, etc.

We make every effort to keep all of our rentals in top notch condition with our own annual inspections but these city inspections do find some things that need to be addressed. I have heard a lot of stories from renters that former landlords refused to spend money on hazardous situations which is why these inspections were started.

I don't see any conspiracy going on here......we have never had any reason to contest one of these inspections.

This is good on you. But if someone does not want them inside there families sanctuary they shall not (will not) enter. I personally wouldn't want them in my place and would not let them in. I also wont rent or live in a city, all my choices.

This is good on you. But if someone does not want them inside there families sanctuary they shall not (will not) enter. I personally wouldn't want them in my place and would not let them in. I also wont rent or live in a city, all my choices.

That really isn't the point though.
Inspections for those things need to be done before or after someone moves, not while occupied if not wanted. If a tenant wants one done, fine, but if not it should never be forced on them.
Very sick of all this nanny mentality.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads